Talk of possible new Jaguars logo

makhlakh

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this on the Jags twitter ....

BCYKeJECMAAm7RT.jpg

I like that logo more and more.

You see, I find this application of the new Jaguars logo the worst I've seen yet. Here, rather than looking like a depiction of an actual Jaguar's head, it looks like nothing so much as a hybrid Jag-Man that would be found inhabiting "The Island of Dr. Moreau", or the dude Cheetara's knockin' feline boots with behind Tygra's back. Granted, part of that is undoubtedly due to the fact that the angle from which the hat is being viewed distorts the perspective of the logo. However, it is also a result of the cat's head in the logo not being very Jaguar-like to begin with. As someone said earlier, there is a thinner, more slight, cheetah-like feel to the feline depicted in this illustration - er, pardon... logo.

I'm not sure they needed to change the logo, and I think this is kind of a lateral or maybe a slight downgrade, since I don't go for ultra-realism in logos.

On the flip side maybe the Kilrathi Head will catch on, so who knows.

With regards to the alternate logo, I understand honoring the military, but I thought Jacksonville was a Navy town. That Alt logo looks more Army-ish.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Thank you Jags!

You have not brought more shame to the state of FL with the crappiest logos in the league.

I like the new logo, definite upgrade.

Someone said it looked like clip art?! LOL! The Lightning say hello. That's a clip art logo, not this.

Yeah, the "clip art" nonsense got thrown around a lot by folks when discussing the new (/old) Astros logo, too. It seems to be the new hotness in vague logo put-downs. MOD EDIT I have read a few well thought-out reasons to dislike this logo by a few of our fine members, MOD EDIT For those of you who say it's too much of a drawing to be a good logo, I just don't see the point you're trying to make. And when anyone throws out the "clip art" blast... MOD EDIT

For what it's worth, something like this would've been fine with me.

jagsconcept_zps09ca05c5.png

CJ, I generally like your work, but I'm not a big fan of this one. The old Jags logo was very flawed and your update doesn't really fix any of its problems, IMO.

Now that the new logo has grown on me, I think it's a top 10 logo in the league. Every problem the old logo had has been fixed, and overall, the look has matured from a three-year-old's fingerpainting to a legit, well-rendered logo.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Thank you Jags!

You have not brought more shame to the state of FL with the crappiest logos in the league.

I like the new logo, definite upgrade.

Someone said it looked like clip art?! LOL! The Lightning say hello. That's a clip art logo, not this.

Yeah, the "clip art" nonsense got thrown around a lot by folks when discussing the new (/old) Astros logo, too. It seems to be the new hotness in vague logo put-downs. MOD EDIT I have read a few well thought-out reasons to dislike this logo by a few of our fine members MOD EDIT For those of you who say it's too much of a drawing to be a good logo, I just don't see the point you're trying to make. And when anyone throws out the "clip art" blast... MOD EDIT

The reason it's too much of a drawing is mostly line weight. The details are too numerous to be replicated at smaller sizes, it lacks the boldness of the previous and there are some wonky details mainly in the eye and around the nose. It can be embroidered at hat size, but what about a left chest on a coach which is normall 2"? If you've already had to drop the 2nd gold on the hat embroidery, why is it there? The spots are very "furry" while the rest isn't as detailed. It's almost 2 different illustration styles.

It's a fine view, its fixed some bad issues with the previous, and I agree its a better in concept than the last one. I just think it could have used some more refining to become a true icon. I won't hate on the designer cause who knows how they got here, but would rather see this version in the style of the previous.

For what it's worth, something like this would've been fine with me.

jagsconcept_zps09ca05c5.png

CJ, I generally like your work, but I'm not a big fan of this one. The old Jags logo was very flawed and your update doesn't really fix any of its problems, IMO.

Fair enough. I just threw it together really to prove a point. I'll work on a Jags concept if I have the time.

Yeah, the "clip art" nonsense got thrown around a lot by folks when discussing the new (/old) Astros logo, too. It seems to be the new hotness in vague logo put-downs. MOD EDIT I have read a few well thought-out reasons to dislike this logo by a few of our fine members MOD EDIT For those of you who say it's too much of a drawing to be a good logo, I just don't see the point you're trying to make. And when anyone throws out the "clip art" blast...MOD EDIT

While I don't necessarily think the term "clip art" applies, it does feel a lot like a piece of stock artwork to me. This is of course by no fault of the designer, but the same style (shadowing, and fine detail) is completely overused on sites like iStockphoto. And to put it frankly it's just not a style that I have ever enjoyed. Here's an example just to give everybody an idea of what I'm saying:

stock-illustration-2848810-screamin-wolf.jpg

There is not necessarily anything wrong with the way the logo has been drawn, in fact I think they've done a pretty good job. But I think this may be the reason some people are so turned off by it. It's for this reason, to me at least, that the new logo gives off a minor league, or high school feel. Not because of poor rendering, or messy line work, but simply because of the style it has been drawn in and the connotations that it has come to have.

Archived