nash61

Rare team matchups

On 11/24/2017 at 2:48 PM, johnnysama said:

troy-brown-adam-vinatieri-and-lovett-pur

From 1997, the only time the "2nd-generation" Vikings (introduced in 1996) met the "Big Flying Elvis" shouldered Patriots. The Patriots would turn to their current look when the two teams next met in 2000.

1997 was the only year the shouldered Patriots played the NFC Central.

In addition to the Vikings, the shouldered Patriots only met the Bears/Bucs/Eagles/Oilers/Panthers/Rams/Redskins once each, and never played the Bengals/Lions/Raiders/Seahawks. (They also played each iteration of the Browns once.)

The Raiders draw special mention as the only AFC team to play the 1993-99 Patriots (the royal blue era) only once, as the Bengals/Seahawks played the Patriots twice in 1993-94. However, in the Bengals' case, the Patriots wore throwbacks once, so the Bengals only faced royal blue Flying Elvis itself on one occasion.

1994_NYJ_1.png?6171 -vs-1994_MIN_3.png?6171 : #1: This is the only time the black-accented New York Jets met the 'classic' Vikings getup in 1994....

#2: The above video features those same black-accented Jets (last year for that look) meeting the second year of the 'second-generation' Vikings three years later, in 1997.

On 11/27/2017 at 11:07 PM, MCM0313 said:

Notice Adam Vinatieri stumbling after a failed attempt to tackle the ballcarrier. It's downright amazeballs that he's still playing after all this time.

Kinda like how Jagr overlapped the Christmas Devils by two years, and is still chugging along. And wore the NHL 75th anniversary patch, as well as the NHL 100 one.

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Kinda like how Jagr overlapped the Christmas Devils by two years, and is still chugging along. And wore the NHL 75th anniversary patch, as well as the NHL 100 one.

The one about Jagr that jumped out to me was when they showed a flashback clip of him during a game and there were guys without helmets in the clip.  I went and looked into it, and there was still a no-helmet player when Jagr was a 7 year NHL veteran

5 hours ago, Lenny Dykstra said:

The one about Jagr that jumped out to me was when they showed a flashback clip of him during a game and there were guys without helmets in the clip.  I went and looked into it, and there was still a no-helmet player when Jagr was a 7 year NHL veteran

My Jagr story: when I was a kid, I had a sports almanac from 1993. Jagr was mentioned in it as a young star who had just helped Lemieux lead the Penguins to back-to-back Stanley Cups.

Also, he has been both the youngest and the oldest player in the NHL, which is also amazing. 

I know a thing or two about Czech longevity - my Bohemia-born great-grandmother lived to 97. Still, Jagr is nuts. In terms of career longevity he is looking like the second coming of Birdie Howe.

I posted this one before as a snippet of a longer video, but here's a good look at this one-off matchup: flying skate Canucks vs. goat head Sabres. It only happened twice (one home game for each team), so this is probably the only time these two jerseys saw each other:

1986_MIA_1.png?6171 -vs- 1986_NO_2.png?6171

Again, no game action pics, but these two uniform sets met just once in 1986 (last year for that Dolphins set, before they added the Dolphin logo on the sleeves, and the first year for that Saints set, w/ the Louisiana state insignia on the sleeves).

On 12/1/2017 at 3:01 PM, MCM0313 said:

In terms of career longevity he is looking like the second coming of Birdie Howe.

This right here is why I hate autocorrect.

I can't find photos, but the only time the Tennessee Oilers played the pewter Bucs was in November 1998. Did get some blurry screenshots from a video of a long TD run by Steve McNair. The interesting part is that they wore white pants this game as well.

2rdet5u.jpg

166i244.jpg

^ As a matter of fact, in their last year as the Tennessee Oilers, the team wore all-white for all games.