kevsim1

Small details that bother you

661 posts in this topic

ZsF8Hp5.png

The horns on the helmet and home jersey are gold, but then on the road jersey they're blue.

ZsF8Hp5.png

The horns on the helmet and home jersey are gold, but then on the road jersey they're blue.

because you wouldn't be able to see the yellow good on a white jersey, they could have gone blue yokes, but I hate those on football jerseys

cleveland-browns1.gifvs 2682866_crop_650x440.jpg?1296501184

This helmet template has always bothered me. The bottom and top bars as they come back towards the ear hole are too straight. They should both have a slight bend. It wouldn't be such a big deal if this generic template wasn't used as persistently as it has been since the early 90s by every team in every single league, most notably (and inexplicably) as the Browns primary logo.....which also bothers me but is a big detail not a small one.

That's not the same facemask. Of course they look different.

If it's not that facemask which facemask is it based off of? This has bugged me for 20 or more years, I would like to see a photograph of an actual helmet with that facemask. (btw I'm just using the Browns to keep it consistent...) Obviously the template is not made by Riddell, but I can't imagine that it's not using the basic Riddell QB facemask used since the late 80s and still used by a few older players like Tom Brady.

sportsillust_bernie-kosar.jpgbkosar86topps1.jpgACTION-BrianSipe-Browns_display_image.jp

It's almost exactly the same except the middle bar is dropped a bit lower. I have only ever seen one and it looked heaps weird

Piping on hockey & football & hockey jerseys

It can be okay on baseball unis, and maybe basketball, but on football & hockey unis, it's distracting.

ANd ugly.

1 person likes this

cleveland-browns1.gifvs 2682866_crop_650x440.jpg?1296501184

This helmet template has always bothered me. The bottom and top bars as they come back towards the ear hole are too straight. They should both have a slight bend. It wouldn't be such a big deal if this generic template wasn't used as persistently as it has been since the early 90s by every team in every single league, most notably (and inexplicably) as the Browns primary logo.....which also bothers me but is a big detail not a small one.

That's not the same facemask. Of course they look different.

If it's not that facemask which facemask is it based off of? This has bugged me for 20 or more years, I would like to see a photograph of an actual helmet with that facemask. (btw I'm just using the Browns to keep it consistent...) Obviously the template is not made by Riddell, but I can't imagine that it's not using the basic Riddell QB facemask used since the late 80s and still used by a few older players like Tom Brady.

sportsillust_bernie-kosar.jpgbkosar86topps1.jpgACTION-BrianSipe-Browns_display_image.jp

It's almost exactly the same except the middle bar is dropped a bit lower. I have only ever seen one and it looked heaps weird
Yep. It looks awful indeed. I saw it in the facemask thread. I'll see if I can find it

Edit- Found it.

5403274116_cbf7a5d683_b.jpg

Since they released the new logo, it's always bothered me how the "Toronto" script doesn't have the white lines in the middle of each letter. Just a small thing, but it really bothers me.

2559d7603ouedg7ldhw0br4fn.png

Are there any other small details in logos that really bother you?

Hadn't noticed that before--not a Blue Jays fan--but it certainly annoys me now.

While I love the throwback esque Flyers uniforms...I hate the black nameplate on the back of the white road jersey.

The white nameplate on the orange jerseys are awesome because they are historically accurate. In this case, not so much.

On that note, I don't like the white Captain and Assistant patches on the away:

Flyers-Giroux-agree-on-8-year-deal.jpgCLaudeGiroux_display_image.jpeg?13424734

Again, don't care if it's historically accurate, it's dumb.

While I love the throwback esque Flyers uniforms...I hate the black nameplate on the back of the white road jersey.

The white nameplate on the orange jerseys are awesome because they are historically accurate. In this case, not so much.

On that note, I don't like the white Captain and Assistant patches on the away:

Flyers-Giroux-agree-on-8-year-deal.jpgCLaudeGiroux_display_image.jpeg?13424734

Again, don't care if it's historically accurate, it's dumb.

That's the thing - they changed it from orange/black to white/blak because it was historically accurate. Problem is, BOTH are historically accurate. The Flyers have used a number if different styles in their history, even white outlined in orange.

Since they released the new logo, it's always bothered me how the "Toronto" script doesn't have the white lines in the middle of each letter. Just a small thing, but it really bothers me.

2559d7603ouedg7ldhw0br4fn.png

Are there any other small details in logos that really bother you?

Hadn't noticed that before--not a Blue Jays fan--but it certainly annoys me now.

It doesn't bother me because it emphasizes the team name rather than the city. This is common with logos in other sports as well....the city and nickname may be of the same font, but the nickname will have a more embellished treatment. In many of these cases, the nickname is larger as well (as it should be, for emphasis), and since it's sized bigger, it allows the styled effects without loss of legibility.

120910-wilson-480.jpg

I hate that the Seahawks TV numbers aren't outlined like the front/back jersey numbers.

1 person likes this

120910-wilson-480.jpg

I hate that the Seahawks TV numbers aren't outlined like the front/back jersey numbers.

I agree with this fully need to be outlined but Nike & Seattle do not care about color balance obviously.

I can't stand when teams don't match their batting helmets to their caps.

1wUaxHW.png

1 person likes this

I can't stand when teams don't match their batting helmets to their caps.

1wUaxHW.png

Jose+Reyes+New+York+Yankees+v+Miami+Marl

I think I like the black helmets better. Too much of an overkill

The Steelers and 49ers stripes that are cutt off

I've posted this in another thread,but

glasgow-celtic-st-mirren-fc-16-12-2012.j

when half of the team in soccer that is wearing a base layer and the other half that are wearing long-sleeves (w/ the hoops)

The Calgary Stampeders with no red pants. The last pair they had a few year ago had the stripe far to thick.Or, go back to silver trim and silver pants like the mid 70's to 80's.

And black pants, if at all needed, should have a stripe (as the Stamps had when they first had black pants), not look like a leotard (that goes for anything in football or MLB too).

Back to this:

1997613a.jpg

They may still have alternate red pants, but striping it too thick.

If it has to be black pants, the pants worn in 2001 (look up the youtube Grey Cup highlights) are much much better.

Onto Calgary's other team.

Always bugged me that the Flames, after 8 or so home games in 2003, due to complaints from whiny old fans and broadcasters, who for some reason have to read names and not the 3x as large numbers, changed the black nameplate to white...but kept the numbers black. Totally disrupts the overall intended flow and design of the uniform (debuting the new black C) to have the back of the jersey mismatched.

Wade+Belak.jpeg

Regardless, if the change had to be made, should've changed the numbers to white at the same time, or at least, at the end of that season...but then the new Black C would've looked out of place.

Should've kept well enough alone.

They had a second chance to correct this in some manner when going to the Edge jersey, but kept the same setup.

Wish I would've got my jersey, that I got on launch in 2003, customized and had the original black name plate.

Also bugged me that the named are not outlined the same way the numbers were, on the home and away's, as the yellow outline is missing on both sets, though its less noticeable on the home jersey's,with black letters.

Finally, the sooner they can get rid of the name and number font, used for almost 20 years now, the better.

ZsF8Hp5.png

The pants stripes bother me, why not go w/ a blue horn like the broncos or a solid blue stripe. The blue/white/blue seems out of place w/ the rest of the non stripe helmets/sleeves.

I may be the only one whos bothered by this but, why aren't the red dashes connected?? Is there a reason?

efvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif

I think red lines going through the script would clutter it

Why don't the Yankees just combine these two together?? They use that wordmark all the time!

1256.gif1251.gif

I think it looks so much better combined:

yankeesrf_zpse9cc6cf5.png

Sorry for not explaining it right.. This is what I mean:

dodgers_ugh_zpsafbc1896.jpg

Sorry for not explaining it right.. This is what I mean:

dodgers_ugh_zpsafbc1896.jpg

Well that's what I thought you meant, I actually went onto Paint and drew lines, but all looked good to me... Although it's quite obvious with that picture