2014 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a giant pile of crazy... and the dissertation-length comments are even weirder. I think Louis de Broglie explained wave-particle duality and got the Nobel Prize for writing less.

This sounds like the type of beetle dung that I would see pop up on my Tumblr. I'm surprised Thunderf00t hasn't grabbed that topic yet.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

This is the kind of looney-bin, hockey-related stuff I expect from Arizona Coyote fans.

The Coyotes have fans?

According to...

-Dr. University of Phoenix,

-Mr. "Those 19 Firefighters Died Tragically in the Yarnell Fire Because They Were Saving Our Beloved Coyotes,"

-Mr. "Junior PETA Spokesperson Who Equates Blaming the Coyotes for Financial Hemmoraging to Killing an Actual Coyote,"

and

-Mrs. "Senior Citizen Who Sees the Death of the Coyotes as an American Tragedy to Strip Malls Everywhere,"

...yes, they have fans...

...allegedly.

So TOR hired an analytics kid as an Assistant GM.

As a peripheral NHL follower, I easily understand that former good players are given management positions and rise in them, but why does this kid seem to be the first one of his kind hired, when owners are always looking for "an edge"?

Also, the NBA has used SportVu in venues for a few years and last season, every NBA team had them thus many NHL teams have access to those cameras. Has/Does the NHL tried to quantify similar data? It seems that they got into Sloan late.

Stan Bowman went to accounting school and has edged the Blackhawks to two championships and four conference finals so far. It's not that NHL teams don't hire smart people, it's just that they often make their stupid people more prominent, and no team has had more prominent stupid people as of late than the Toronto Maple Leafs, so it's a big deal for them to get some MBA kid.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Stan Bowman went to accounting school and has edged the Blackhawks to two championships and four conference finals so far. It's not that NHL teams don't hire smart people, it's just that they often make their stupid people more prominent, and no team has had more prominent stupid people as of late than the Toronto Maple Leafs, so it's a big deal for them to get some MBA kid.

Got it! Ownership loves to reward their former players who have been concussed on numerous occasions and may not even possess a HS education to manage a multi-million dollar business.

Got it! Ownership loves to reward their former players who have been concussed on numerous occasions and may not even possess a HS education to manage a multimillion dollar business.
Hockey can be populist in the worst ways. Hire guy who may have never graduated high school to run things because he was a good hockey player and "knows the game"? That's just the sort of idiocy that the NHL thrives on.

The trend right now seems to be for teams to hire illustrious alumni as "team presidents" who have the last say over player personnel and get to take all the credit while general managers and assistant GMs who do have background in scouting, analytics, or both do all the heavy lifting. I doubt Brendan Shanahan is doing much other than professionally Being Brendan Shanahan.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm going to miss saying Shanaban.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

As a peripheral NHL follower, I easily understand that former good players are given management positions and rise in them, but why does this kid seem to be the first one of his kind hired, when owners are always looking for "an edge"?

Also, the NBA has used SportVu in venues for a few years and last season, every NBA team had them thus many NHL teams have access to those cameras. Has/Does the NHL tried to quantify similar data? It seems that they got into Sloan late.

Not yet, but it's coming.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/stubborn-nhl-takes-tech-step-forward/article18595761/

The NHL is actually going to start testing the SportVU system this season and could be fully in place by the 2015-16 season. I know they and other independents are always trying to acquire more information and they are. The problem is trying to take whatever raw data they take in and quantify it into something tangible. There are some rudimentary analytics, but it's taking those numbers and trying to make sense out of what they actually represent. (Especially in a sport like hockey where "luck" has a legitimate impact on the game.)

And it's kind of funny that you mention this with the Leafs, because the last paragraph of the column specifically points out the Maple Leafs and their usual caveman approach to hockey ops. So yeah, like admiral said, it's kind of a big deal that the Leafs of all teams did this. (But at the same time, it should be teams like the Maple Leafs that have all that extra income, that try experiments like this. They can afford a couple extra lines in the budget on projects like this than say the Panthers could.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived