Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

I feel so bad for people stuck with the ECHL. What's the point, even. You might see someone's future backup goalie?

I think the Quad Cities are happy to be "stuck" with any hockey at all after a couple trips to death's doorstep.

After CoHL, UHL, 2 years of Flames "AHL," IHL (not the good one) and CeHL, I'm guessing the ECHL is looking pretty good right now in Moline. No facts to back that up, though.

I feel so bad for people stuck with the ECHL. What's the point, even. You might see someone's future backup goalie?

I think the Quad Cities are happy to be "stuck" with any hockey at all after a couple trips to death's doorstep.

After CoHL, UHL, 2 years of Flames "AHL," IHL (not the good one) and CeHL, I'm guessing the ECHL is looking pretty good right now in Moline. No facts to back that up, though.

Hey I can attest to that. I mean San Diego has been sans hockey since the ECHL Gulls left almost 10 years ago. At this point anything would have been an improvement. Would have loved an ECHL team. AHL team is of course better, and the city seems to ago with the Gulls already having sold 1000 season tickets in a single weekend. But I imagine an ECHL team wouldn't have done too badly for itself this time around either. The last one did just fine.

The point is to watch some live hockey representing your home town (or area). As someone who lives in a current non-hockey town, I can tell you I would have taken anything I could get. I'm glad we're getting the AHL, but I would have gladly taken ECHL as well. It's not necessarily about seeing someone going up to so and so NHL team. I couldn't care less that the reborn Gulls are a Ducks farm team or that some of their players might be in the NHL some day.

The way you post, I thought you lived in the San Francisco bay area.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I've been to California, I'm going in a couple weeks, and I like California! I just didn't want the AHL there.

I'm not sure how long it will be there, which is the other issue with this. The L.A. teams will do well with their affiliates, but Calgary basically shouldn't be allowed to have an AHL team, Edmonton hasn't torched all that many markets, but has had a run that consisted of

1 year in Edmonton itself (strike year arena date filler-franchise goes dormant after that)

1 year timeshare with Montreal in Hamilton, Montreal calling the shots

1 year PROSPECTS SCATTERED TO THE WINDS

3 years in Springfield-uninspiring results which include not making the playoffs at all and keeping the market on a slow slow slow burn to destruction

5 years of sitting back and watching the slow painful death of what was once one of the best markets in minor league hockey (Yes, the Thunder play a major role here, but the Barons never took off.)

Meanwhile San Jose doesn't torch markets, but has an organizational disdain for running an effective minor league organization and developing young talent except as trade bait for some aging NHL player that stands as an ironic counterpoint to the fact that they were the team that complained the most about the lack of California teams.

So yeah, 3 of the 5 teams are on shaky foundations. This experiment could end very badly.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I've been to California, I'm going in a couple weeks, and I like California! I just didn't want the AHL there.

I'm not sure how long it will be there, which is the other issue with this. The L.A. teams will do well with their affiliates, but Calgary basically shouldn't be allowed to have an AHL team, Edmonton hasn't torched all that many markets, but has had a run that consisted of

1 year in Edmonton itself (strike year arena date filler-franchise goes dormant after that)

1 year timeshare with Montreal in Hamilton, Montreal calling the shots

1 year PROSPECTS SCATTERED TO THE WINDS

3 years in Springfield-uninspiring results which include not making the playoffs at all and keeping the market on a slow slow slow burn to destruction

5 years of sitting back and watching the slow painful death of what was once one of the best markets in minor league hockey (Yes, the Thunder play a major role here, but the Barons never took off.)

Meanwhile San Jose doesn't torch markets, but has an organizational disdain for running an effective minor league organization and developing young talent except as trade bait for some aging NHL player that stands as an ironic counterpoint to the fact that they were the team that complained the most about the lack of California teams.

So yeah, 3 of the 5 teams are on shaky foundations. This experiment could end very badly.

oh yeah ... and that one year in Toronto as well ...

I saw, I came, I left.

The quality of the game between the NHL and ECHL is night and day. The ECHL game is slower and sloppy and hard to watch at times. And when you're used to seeing the top players in the world play, having to settle for the ECHL just doesn't compare.

Sorry if that hurts your feelings, Mockba.

• Like 1

You guys really aren't giving this thing too much of a chance, are you?

San Diego has worked and they'll get the Ducks support. Ontario has worked and they'll get the Kings support. Bakersfield has been a great market for the ECHL, underrated as a hockey city. Stockton has done well for themselves too. The San Jose thing is the only really weird or bad one for me, but hopefully that's short term and they end up in a different rink.

So I say that 3 of the 5 are set up for success, potentially a 4th in Stockton unless the Flames really AHL-Flames it. And despite San Jose's odd situation, I don't think the Sharks will let it fail. Of the five parent organizations, I think San Jose will have to and will do the most to make sure this thing succeeds.

Obviously I'm a California hockey fan and my team is involved, but I don't think you guys are giving this thing enough credit. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out. If they wanted to slapdash this together, they would have done so a long time ago.

• Like 2

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

The point is to watch some live hockey representing your home town (or area). As someone who lives in a current non-hockey town, I can tell you I would have taken anything I could get. I'm glad we're getting the AHL, but I would have gladly taken ECHL as well. It's not necessarily about seeing someone going up to so and so NHL team. I couldn't care less that the reborn Gulls are a Ducks farm team or that some of their players might be in the NHL some day.
The way you post, I thought you lived in the San Francisco bay area.

Not for a long time. I'm in San Diego.

Stockton pretty much screwed the pooch... They could've solidified a future if they stayed in the ECHL.

How does moving up to AHL screw the pooch?

And it's not like they had a choice. The ECHL team is owned by the same guys who now own the AHL team. So it's really just the Oilers playing musical teams with their minor league squads. It's no hair off their backside either way.

Stockton pretty much screwed the pooch... They could've solidified a future if they stayed in the ECHL.

And it's not like they had a choice. The ECHL team is owned by the same guys who now own the AHL team. So it's really just the Oilers playing musical teams with their minor league squads. It's no hair off their backside either way.

He said Stockton. Not Bakersfield.

And yeah, idk what exactly Stockton can do here. If the Flames screw it up again, then it's a Flames problem. Stockton's probably cool with having a hockey team still, and a higher level one at that.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Logo-wise, a flaming-S logo might be hard to pull off in the Calgary style - seems to me it'd end up looking like a psychedelic seahorse.

The Shelburne Flames say hi.

scmha%20S.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Arco Arena has an ice plant (or did), but I believe the rink runs perpendicular to the basketball court, which is wack. (Wiggidy-wack? Nope, just regular type.)

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

He said Stockton. Not Bakersfield.

And yeah, idk what exactly Stockton can do here. If the Flames screw it up again, then it's a Flames problem. Stockton's probably cool with having a hockey team still, and a higher level one at that.

Yeah sorry meant to say Flames, not Oilers. They own the AHL team incoming and the ECHL team outgoing so there's though so my point remains the same. It's 6 to one, half dozen to another. The only real pooch screwing is dropping the Thunder name for a generic Flames name.