The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

If the season ended today, we'd have a Canadiens-Bruins 1st round series. Honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of those.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, I love Habs-Bs. Always great.

I wish the Penguins could get their act together down the stretch only for the possibility of Pens-Caps, Isles-Rangers, Habs-Bs, Bolts-Wings in the first round. Crosby/Ovechkin, Battle of NY, Best Rivalry in Pro Sports, Yzerman Bowl. Those would all be pretty juicy.

But the Rangers are 3 up on the Pens with a game in hand and 1 behind the Isles with FOUR games in hand (that's criminal), 1 behind Tampa with 3 in hand, 2 behind Montréal with 2 in hand, so none of that will come to fruition.

Still a lot of fluidity.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I like the new playoff format. If you want to advance to the conference finals you have to win your division's tournament*. I like the rivalry matchups it creates right off the bat. You don't have to hope that two teams can both win a playoff round or two, in some cases, before you get the matchup you want to see.

*unless one of those wildcard crossovers happens and then you have to win some other division's tournament, but whatever.

PvO6ZWJ.png

And there will probably be even more Rangers fans when they play in Brooklyn since it will be easier for Ranger fans from the city to get there than Islander fans from Nassau and Suffolk.

I wish the Islanders could have moved to Suffolk. There's just so little land to develop on the island. They hit Maximum Suburbia in like 1988.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Smithtown area's still developing, but it's gotten to the point where Smithtown and the surrounding areas are overcrowded and have basically gone from rural-ish like Stony Brook to sprawl and skipping the suburbia part that Nassau has in a matter of 15 years.

Also, I found out today Canadiens-Islanders got flex scheduled to an NBCSN game Saturday night. Neat! As much flack as NBC deserves for their overloading on certain teams with the original schedule (looking at you, Sabres), they at least do a really nice job of adding games in March and April onto it.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I like the new playoff format. If you want to advance to the conference finals you have to win your division's tournament*. I like the rivalry matchups it creates right off the bat. You don't have to hope that two teams can both win a playoff round or two, in some cases, before you get the matchup you want to see.

*unless one of those wildcard crossovers happens and then you have to win some other division's tournament, but whatever.

I really don't like the seemingly arbitrary top-3 in the division format. With roughly half the teams making it, I don't like the idea of a 3rd place team getting in in front of a wild-card contender with more points (A possibility in the West).

If they are going to do that, they may as well just go back to the Smythe and Norris format and use the top four in each division and do true divisional playoffs. Otherwise, just do what the NBA does.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Tavares is currently on pace for 85 points. If that holds up, he'll be the lowest-scoring Art Ross winner since 1961-62, when it took Bobby Hull (and Andy Bathgate) 70 games to reach 84.

I really don't like the seemingly arbitrary top-3 in the division format. With roughly half the teams making it, I don't like the idea of a 3rd place team getting in in front of a wild-card contender with more points (A possibility in the West).

If they are going to do that, they may as well just go back to the Smythe and Norris format and use the top four in each division and do true divisional playoffs. Otherwise, just do what the NBA does.

The whole "divisional playoff" thing is slightly overblown. There are only two divisions now... you basically have a 50% chance of getting a "divisional" matchup. I would just keep it simple and do 1-8.

There's no point in "emphasizing divisional rivalries" when Chicago's are Dallas and Nashville, Detroit's are Ottawa and Tampa Bay, Philadelphia's are Columbus and Carolina, and Anaheim is anyone's. The Norris Division is dead because you killed it, NHL; don't exhume the corpse after the head fell off.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Tampa one is legitimate and Ottawa to an extent (and Columbus/Carolina because someone edits posts, although I can live with CBJ/PHI sharing a division more than Carolina sharing with either of them), but I really don't see the gripe with the other two.

Anyway, if the playoffs started today and we're seeded 1-8, there'd be two divisional matchups in each conference. (Or depending on how games in hand play, one in each conference) So yeah, 50% (or 25%).

I think the actual divisional bracket is fine. The only thing I've found difficult for casual fans or people I'm trying to explain it to to understand is the wild card crossover thing. Most of us understand because we look at it everyday and accept that this is the system at the moment, but I know others find it either dumb or hard to grasp.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

There's no point in "emphasizing divisional rivalries" when Chicago's are Dallas and Nashville, Detroit's are Ottawa and Tampa Bay, Philadelphia's are Columbus and Carolina, and Anaheim is anyone's. The Norris Division is dead because you killed it, NHL; don't exhume the corpse after the head fell off.

Everything was so much better when the NHL was a 21-team league that admitted 16 to the playoffs.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived