This is October: 2014 MLB Postseason Thread

AnythingChicago

It'll be interesting to see if we get some new blood in the NL.

Since 2007 and Rocktober, only 3 NL teams have made the WS- Phillies, Giants, Cardinals.

Obviously, Philly ain't what they used to be, but the last 4 years one of STL/SF have found a way to the Fall Classic if the other didn't make it.

We'll see if due process holds or someone crashes the glass ceiling.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll chime in with my predictions:

AL Wild Card Game

Oakland Athletics 2, Kansas City Royals 3 (What's that, you say? A win-or-go-home game featuring the A's? The trend continues here as James Shields leads the hosting Royals to their first postseason victory in a coon's age.)

NL Wild Card Game

San Francisco Giants 4, Pittsburgh Pirates 7 (Over 40,000 strong at PNC Park lead their Pirates to a wild card game victory for the second consecutive season)

American League Divisional Series

Detroit Tigers over Baltimore Orioles 3-2 (The homer-happy Orioles may find it difficult to rely on the long ball against an extraordinary Tigers' pitching staff. Baltimore's offense may flourish at Camden Yards, but Detroit and its more balanced offense will ultimately come out on top.)

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim over Kansas City Royals 3-0 (The Royals, having already pitched James Shields in the wild card game, will be unable to outscore the 98 win Angels, who should take care of the Royals in this series with little resistance.)

National League Divisional Series

Los Angeles Dodgers over St. Louis Cardinals 3-1 (One can only hope that the Cards' luck will run out against a Dodgers team that seems primed for a deep playoff run. St. Louis shouldn't be able to match up to Los Angeles in this series.)

Washington Nationals over Pittsburgh Pirates 3-2 (The stellar starting pitching the Nationals boast will be enough to take care of the Pirates in the end, but not without a few scares along the way.)

American League Championship Series

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim over Detroit Tigers 4-3 (Scherzer, Price, and Company will shine for Detroit, but the Angels will exploit the Tigers' bullpen and win some key games late to take home the AL Pennant.)

National League Championship Series

Los Angeles Dodgers over Washington Nationals 4-2 (Dodgers starting pitchers will narrowly overmatch their Nationals counterparts, and the LA offense will prove superior to that of Washington as Kershaw and Co. snatch the NL Pennant.)

2014 World Series

Los Angeles Dodgers over Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 4-2 (This Freeway Series will feature Mike Trout being cooled off by Dodgers pitching, as Clayton Kershaw adds a World Series ring to his collection that already consists of three Cy Young awards and an MVP trophy.)

25yzwqg.png

My predictions:

AL Wild Card Game

Oakland Athletics 6, Kansas City Royals 0: The Royals lack experience even with Shields there.

NL Wild Card Game

San Francisco Giants 2, Pittsburgh Pirates 3: The Giants have a questionable Lineup.

American League Divisional Series

Baltimore Orioles over Detroit Tigers 3-1: The Orioles Lineup is better then the Tigers. Besides, sooner or later the Tigers will get an early playoff exit.

Oakland Athletics over Anaheim Angels (That's what l like to call them) 3-2: Experince will be the deciding factor as the A's will finally win their first series since 2006

National League Divisional Series

Los Angeles Dodgers over St. Louis Cardinals 3-0: The Dodgers should follow the same script as this years NHL's LA Kings as the Cardinals will be playing the role of the Chicago Blackhawks. The Cardinals lineup will be it's undoing as the Dodgers will get revenge from last year's championship loss.

Washington Nationals over Pittsburgh Pirates 3-1: The Nationals pitching staff will shutdown the Pirates. They also have a soild lineup.

American League Championship Series

Oakland Athletics over Baltimore Orioles 4-2: The Orioles will need more playoff seasoning before they can go to the World Series as they will stopped by Oakland's Defense.

National League Championship Series

Los Angeles Dodgers over Washington Nationals 4-2: Like the Orioles, the Washington Nationals don't have enough experince to win the series as the Dodgers will go to the World Series for the first time in 26 years.

2014 World Series

Los Angeles Dodgers over Oakland Athletics 4-3: This should be a great World Series. This series has game seven written all over it. However, Oakland's bullpen will be it's undoing as the Dodgers reach their goal.

So hot, so cool

Hot_Wheels_1968.png

The Cardinals will be playing the role of the Chicago Blackhawks.

You're dead to me.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Cardinals will be playing the role of the Chicago Blackhawks.

You're dead to me.

I don't hate the Chicago Blackhawks. I'm just saying that the Cardinals will be taking the same path as the Blackhawks. Because both teams defeated their LA counterparts.

So hot, so cool

Hot_Wheels_1968.png

The Dodgers should follow the same script as this years NHL's LA KIngs.

e2d016bb0b9f69f2b217c657a2ff4aa590796bf3

Like any Dodger fan would want to have them survive close games against the Cardinals, you know, the freaking "Freddy Krueger Trollbirds of St. Louis, Missouri!"

I don't want a repeat of those close, chess matches of last year's NLCS, where virtually every God-damn little bounce went the Cardinals way. Just a sickening, horrible feeling. Lots of team offense with the bullpen doing its work is fine by me (hopefully Ryu is healthy enough to be the 3rd starter).

The Dodgers should follow the same script as this years NHL's LA KIngs.

e2d016bb0b9f69f2b217c657a2ff4aa590796bf3

Like any Dodger fan would want to have them survive close games against the Cardinals, you know, the freaking "Freddy Krueger Trollbirds of St. Louis, Missouri!"

I don't want a repeat of those close, chess matches of last year's NLCS, where virtually every God-damn little bounce went the Cardinals way. Just a sickening, horrible feeling. Lots of team offense with the bullpen doing its work is fine by me (hopefully Ryu is healthy enough to be the 3rd starter).

I know the Cardinals have the best bullpen, but how threatening is the Cardinals lineup? Besides, one of these days the Cardinals will take a early playoff exit.

So hot, so cool

Hot_Wheels_1968.png

Thing is... that seems to have been happening to the Cards the whole season. I see it either the Cards win it the same way your talking about, or you guys blow us out. And our bullpen has been crap lately. I don't have too high hopes for the Cards' run this year, but just like last year and 2011 :devil:

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Wild Cards: Oakland beats Kansas City, Pittsburgh beats San Francisco

ALDS: Oakland defeats Anaheim in 5, Detroit defeats Baltimore in 4

NLDS: Washington defeats Pittsburgh in 5, Los Angeles defeats St. Louis in 4

ALCS: Detroit defeats Oakland in 6

NLCS: Los Angeles defeats Washington in 5

World Series: Los Angeles defeats Detroit in 6

Wild Cards: Oakland beats Kansas City, Pittsburgh beats San Francisco

ALDS: Oakland defeats Anaheim in 5, Detroit defeats Baltimore in 4

NLDS: Washington defeats Pittsburgh in 5, Los Angeles defeats St. Louis in 4

ALCS: Detroit defeats Oakland in 6

NLCS: Los Angeles defeats Washington in 5

World Series: Los Angeles defeats Detroit in 6

Maybe with just a couple different numbers being used, this is exactly what I'm expecting, too. I had an LA-Detroit World Series way back in ST and I have zero reason to ditch that now.

spacer.png

The problem there, from my POV, isn't even taking James Shields out. Two base runners to start the inning and someone who already homered against him. That part is defensible.

Ned Yost dick-tripped into having the best late inning trio in baseball this season, and then REFUSES TO USE IT IN THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE SEASON! That's incredible to me! I have long felt he's one of the worst managers around, and I'm obviously not alone in that opinion. He already did something of fairly epic stupidity just a couple weeks back against Boston and defended it by saying "Aaron Crow is my sixth inning pitcher", because, you know, we're to the point where 6th inning pitchers exist.

Kelvin Herrera is outstanding. Wade Davis is outstanding. Greg Holland is outstanding. USE THEM!

I'm rooting for the A's in this game and even I'm in a total state of shock. That is one of the worst managerial decisions I've seen in a long time. Using a 23 year old rookie, who started just two days ago, inheriting two men on with zero outs in a one-run game instead of using Herrera? Unreal. You don't deserve the playoffs, Ned Yost, and barring a KC comeback, he won't be getting any playoff baseball.

spacer.png

HEY YOU GUYS LIKE NEW TEAMS IN THE PLAYOFFS?

SCREW YOU

TIGERS VS CARDINALS

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived