This is October: 2014 MLB Postseason Thread

AnythingChicago

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The A's have announced a logo change:sharks_new.png

A good upgrade from the elephant.

Could Kansas City conquer the Magic Kingdom?

Ahem, *pushes up glasses* Disneyworld is usually referred to as the Magic Kingdom, because it's a park there, not Disneyland.

And no. I wanted the Angels to play the Royals.

IbjBaeE.png

The Kansas City Royals just won a playoff game. Wow. And what a game it was. Congrats KC. See you in Anaheim on Thursday. Bring it ;)

Also, remember when Oakland was the best team in baseball back in July? HA! HA! HA!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

and it was Perez who redeems himself with the game winner. Down 7-3 in the 8th I thought KC was done. That was awesome.

Now the Royals get to play real October baseball. It's October 1st.

edit: Aww I was happy for the Royals, but the shot of sad Adam Dunn made me sad. His first career playoff game and he didn't even get in.

I couldn't believe it afterward. I was like, "was that the same freakin' guy who has been sucking ass all night?" What a redemption moment.

And Adam Dunn, yeah, eh.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Tonight's game was the perfect example of why I love baseball as much as I do. God, that was awesome.

I know someone beat me to it, but the fact that a guy got banned from here for saying every game would be a "classic" right before a game that was an actual classic is making me laugh really really hard. What a great night for baseball.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

At least the Oakland fans can look forward to the remainder of Raiders season.

Right?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

First of all, free of my snark - congrats on making the playoffs, Royals.

Second - I was rooting for the A's tonight. By the time the game ended, I had basically forgotten all of that. It was kind of liberating, to be free from the shackles of fandom and just enjoy a high-stakes baseball game for what it was, a high-stakes baseball game.

Third - great way to summarize your entire season in 12 innings, Oakland. That was perfect.

spacer.png

Second - I was rooting for the A's tonight. By the time the game ended, I had basically forgotten all of that. It was kind of liberating, to be free from the shackles of fandom and just enjoy a high-stakes baseball game for what it was, a high-stakes baseball game.

Third - great way to summarize your entire season in 12 innings, Oakland. That was perfect.

Really it was a perfect microcosm of their year. Creepy.

It's obviously still fresh, but I'm already reading a lot in social media about this being one of the best games ever played. I'm a hot and cold baseball fan, so I don't feel inclined to answer, but what do some of you junkies think?

twitter

Yes! It felt great to watch a baseball game as a baseball fan and be totally fine with either team winning (though I am known to favor the A's). No rooting for or against, just taking it all in. I missed that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What a game... although I think the Royals would have won an inning or two sooner without all of those sac bunts to get a guy to 2nd.

Love the speed. Don't mind bunting, but if your guy is going to steal third after you sac him over... why not just let him steal both and *THEN* SAC him in for the win?

But just a great game to watch. I love baseball, and I remember the old days of the Royals, but man, that place seemed loud.

Really it was a perfect microcosm of their year. Creepy.

It's obviously still fresh, but I'm already reading a lot in social media about this being one of the best games ever played. I'm a hot and cold baseball fan, so I don't feel inclined to answer, but what do some of you junkies think?

Seems too early to answer, and you're not going to like this, but the 2011 World Series comes to mind when the team that shall not be named was down to its final strike like three times in the series, came back and won.

But surely, there's a win probability metric that can tell us how great this one was from its wild swings, and there should be bonus points for all of the stolen bases, use of fundamentals, clutch hits, etc.

But too soon, probably. Social media liked the puppy narrative, too, and that girl left.

Glad to see the Royals win. that city really needed to win a playoff game.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm rooting for Giants tomorrow, only because I want the Dodgers to finish them in the nlcs but it still feels weird.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

The narrative about bunts was sort of funny. Even the A's got into the act. They tied the game twice with small ball, gave away an entire innings worth of outs, and then the winning run was scored with good old swingin' and hittin' where they ain't.

Also, Yost was totally bailed out by his team. He was the goat with his pitching decisions and was 6 outs away from having to answer some tough questions all offseason.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah, it sickens me to relive the Freese game 6 heroics on behalf of Lucifer's golden franchise, but that was definitely more romantic, if you can stomach that team.

This was just plain fun to me. Like admiral said, having no dog in the fight, I merely wanted to be entertained, and knowing that the Royals haven't had anything to cheer about in a long time gave this game a great narrative.

Now watch tomorrow's Pirates/Giants game be a 13-1 Giants stomping with the closing shot of them celebrating in front of a barren PNC Park.

twitter

I found myself rooting for the Royals (since the A's have had plenty of chances, I guess.) Wouldn't have minded if Oakland won, but I felt bad for KC when they went down 7-3.

Also, I saw mixed reviews on Twitter, but the moments of this game seemed too big for the TBS crew. Part of the fun for me was the social reactions, which substituted for a bland call.

At one point, Matt Winer said postgame and postseries when he was trying to say postseason. And Ernie Johnson seemed underwhelmed by it all. Ron Darling was too random. And I didn't realize Cal Ripken was there 'til late.

Archived