2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doc Emrick is a font of hockey knowledge... love that guy...

Not sure if reading Wikipedia makes someone a fountain of hockey knowledge.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

You're assuming he read Wikipedia, instead of actually having that knowledge already in his skull before the internet was a thing.

You dunce...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

You're assuming he read Wikipedia, instead of actually having that knowledge already in his skull before the internet was a thing.

You dunce...

It's a fairly safe assumption, as the description he gave was pretty much word-for-word. I'd bet Doc has access to the internet. He might even have a wireless connection.

Don't get fooled, as it happens quite often with TV personalities. Remember, media guides and notes are published by the teams for a reason.

I think most hockey fans have come across the piece of information though that the Rangers were initially known as Tex's Rangers, hence the initial Texan logo/branding. I'm pretty sure Doc Emrick knew this tidbit without having to sift through Wikipedia.

The reason for the name is pretty well known. The information on the first logo isn't as well known - in fact, information about the hockey stick-waving cowboy crest isn't disclosed in the Rangers' media guide (see pages 308-325 in the 2013-14 media guide).

Emrick could have acquired this info from Wikipedia. There is a chance that happened, and, considering the words he used, I think it's a really good chance. Maybe he read it somewhere else, you know, years and years ago (long before computers) and decided last night would be a great time to tell the world about it.

If you search "new york rangers cowboy logo" or "new york rangers 1926 logo" in Google, nothing unusual comes up. The cowboy logo is not common knowledge.

This is a picture from 1926, and I bet you most hockey fans wouldn't ask "Why aren't these guys wearing the original cowboy logo?"

source_112_80855.jpg

I think most hockey fans have come across the piece of information though that the Rangers were initially known as Tex's Rangers, hence the initial Texan logo/branding. I'm pretty sure Doc Emrick knew this tidbit without having to sift through Wikipedia.

The reason for the name is pretty well known. The information on the first logo isn't as well known - in fact, information about the hockey stick-waving cowboy crest isn't disclosed in the Rangers' media guide (see pages 308-325 in the 2013-14 media guide).

Emrick could have acquired this info from Wikipedia. There is a chance that happened, and, considering the words he used, I think it's a really good chance. Maybe he read it somewhere else, you know, years and years ago (long before computers) and decided last night would be a great time to tell the world about it.

If you search "new york rangers cowboy logo" or "new york rangers 1926 logo" in Google, nothing unusual comes up. The cowboy logo is not common knowledge.

This is a picture from 1926, and I bet you most hockey fans wouldn't ask "Why aren't these guys wearing the original cowboy logo?"

source_112_80855.jpg

So these guys are the 1926 Rangers, but that doesn't mean it's the only sweater they've worn that season.

There are plenty of things we do not know, case in point the recent discoveries of the Pittsburgh Pirates wearing blue and gold in 1928. Based on research I have been doing, I have reason to believe that they started wearing blue and gold in 1927, but have yet to see a photo of that season, and the team photo was taken in blank practice sweaters that season. I also have evidence of a second sweater in both 1925 and 1929, but haven't solidified enough to be confident in my findings.

So, even though this photo is what we believe to be the 1926 Rangers, there could be a prior photo from the very beginning of that series that might show other things. Or, more likely, there was a promotional logo that existed during that 1925 season. The Americans were the only team in New York, Rickard was won over by them (he had some financial interest in the team, if I understand correctly), a logo might have been drawn prior to the team being put together. There needs to be some investigation into the early Inaugural season of the New York Rangers to see if any such things come up. Early hockey photos are rare, especially action shots, so it would be an excellent find.

I think the book should not be closed on this one this quickly.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

"Rickard's franchise begin play in the 192627 season. The first team crest was a horse sketched in blue carrying a cowboy waving a hockey stick aloft, before being changed to the familiar R-A-N-G-E-R-S in diagonal."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Rangers

Look under Early Years

The reference for this quote on Wikipedia is page 74 of this book:

Boucher, Frank; Frayne, Trent (1973). When The Rangers Were Young. New York, NY: Dodd, Mead & Company. ISBN 0-396-06852-9

What on earth was Doc Emerick talking about with the "first Rangers jersey featured a horse with a cowboy on top waving a hockey stick"?

Does anybody have an image of this?

According to Wikipedia, Doc Emerick is right. "Rickard's franchise begin play in the 1926-27 season. The first team crest was a horse sketched in blue carrying a cowboy waving a hockey stick aloft, before being changed to the familiar R-A-N-G-E-R-S in diagonal." I bet the vast majority of people out there don't even have the slightest clue. This is definitely something interesting that I sure as hell didn't know about either.

"Rickard's franchise begin play in the 192627 season. The first team crest was a horse sketched in blue carrying a cowboy waving a hockey stick aloft, before being changed to the familiar R-A-N-G-E-R-S in diagonal."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Rangers

Look under Early Years

The reference for this quote on Wikipedia is this book:

Boucher, Frank; Frayne, Trent (1973). When The Rangers Were Young. New York, NY: Dodd, Mead & Company. ISBN 0-396-06852-9

There isn't a single piece of photographic evidence to support any claim that the Rangers ever used a cowboy logo. It's possible such a logo was drawn up and proposed, but there isn't anything to prove that the logo was actually used. Not an old picture. Not an old sweater or an old pennant. Not even an old program that might have used it. I'm inclined to believe the whole thing is nonsense until someone produces an old jersey from the 1926 Rangers season or an old photograph showing it on the front of the Rangers' sweaters.

He's great if you love a guy who screeches like a monkey and is somehow incapable of simply saying the word "pass."

I'm not denying a logo never existed. I'm just saying if it was worn during an NHL game, it would be way more common knowledge than it is.

I will be absolutely shocked to find out it was ever actually worn. Hell... I'd be shocked to find out that it even reached the same level as the drawstringed north stars, wolf nordiques, or arched-text seals prototypes.

I'm not denying a logo never existed. I'm just saying if it was worn during an NHL game, it would be way more common knowledge than it is.

I will be absolutely shocked to find out it was ever actually worn. Hell... I'd be shocked to find out that it even reached the same level as the drawstringed north stars, wolf nordiques, or arched-text seals prototypes.

Except the tie-downs were actually worn by the North Stars. The other two? Not so much.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Except the tie-downs were actually worn by the North Stars. The other two? Not so much.

what jersey are you talking about?

This picture was taken in the 1926 preseason, before the Rangers ever played a regular season game.

192627_lg.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

(SNIP)

So these guys are the 1926 Rangers, but that doesn't mean it's the only sweater they've worn that season.

There are plenty of things we do not know, case in point the recent discoveries of the Pittsburgh Pirates wearing blue and gold in 1928. Based on research I have been doing, I have reason to believe that they started wearing blue and gold in 1927, but have yet to see a photo of that season, and the team photo was taken in blank practice sweaters that season. I also have evidence of a second sweater in both 1925 and 1929, but haven't solidified enough to be confident in my findings.

So, even though this photo is what we believe to be the 1926 Rangers, there could be a prior photo from the very beginning of that series that might show other things. Or, more likely, there was a promotional logo that existed during that 1925 season. The Americans were the only team in New York, Rickard was won over by them (he had some financial interest in the team, if I understand correctly), a logo might have been drawn prior to the team being put together. There needs to be some investigation into the early Inaugural season of the New York Rangers to see if any such things come up. Early hockey photos are rare, especially action shots, so it would be an excellent find.

I think the book should not be closed on this one this quickly.

I found a promo flyer from 1925, no horseman

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1925-New-York-Rangers-promo-brochure-NHL-Madison-Square-Garden-Hockey-LOOK-/390776354457

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

what jersey are you talking about?

The North Stars. They wore tie-down collars for at least the pre-season of their inaugural season.

8334947427_57a3f5cf35_c.jpg

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived