2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand what Yzerman was doing to. And the main point behind it does have merit. The issue isn't the concept, it's the execution. He wanted a traditional hockey look. Ok. He could have done that without ripping off the Red Wings and Maple Leafs. Just adding some black to the striping of the current sweaters would help in that regard, and wouldn't lessen the "classic" vibe. Four out of the "Original Six" use two other colours in addition to white after all.

How creative can you really get with striping there are lots of teams with similar striping. And why is a clean and simple look not ok for an expansion team?

It's fine on its own. They probably should find a way to do it without ripping off the Red Wings and Maple Leafs.

What if we took away the Maple Leafs issue? What if they went with black and white?

They'd still clearly be using the Red Wings' home template. That would be hard to ignore, especially with Stevie Y at the helm.

I understand what Yzerman was doing to. And the main point behind it does have merit. The issue isn't the concept, it's the execution. He wanted a traditional hockey look. Ok. He could have done that without ripping off the Red Wings and Maple Leafs. Just adding some black to the striping of the current sweaters would help in that regard, and wouldn't lessen the "classic" vibe. Four out of the "Original Six" use two other colours in addition to white after all.

How creative can you really get with striping there are lots of teams with similar striping. And why is a clean and simple look not ok for an expansion team?

It's fine on its own. They probably should find a way to do it without ripping off the Red Wings and Maple Leafs.

What if we took away the Maple Leafs issue? What if they went with black and white?

They'd still clearly be using the Red Wings' home template. That would be hard to ignore, especially with Stevie Y at the helm.

But everyone is ok with LA using the Detroit template...it's such a basic design that other teams are bound to use it.

KingsSpecial5.png

I really think that the color is the only egregious problem with the Lightning's design.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Yeah, but did a former Red Wing great sign off on those LA sweaters? :P

Besides, those aren't in use beyond the occasional throwback game. They were also designed at a time when marketing was less of a concern.

And to head off this question, no I wouldn't be ok with the Kings going back to this look full-time. Purple is the colour of futility as far as the Los Angeles Kings go. Black and silver's where it's at.

The colour is the most egregious part of the Lightining's look, yes. You're right about that. Black would have been better, but that's not what they did.

Even if the Kings used the Purple and Gold throwbacks full time, the colours are different enough to avoid looking anything like Detroit. With Tampa they just replaced one heavily used colour with another.

The guy from icethetics (very reliable) says he has seen the Blues new home jersey (via twitter). Says it is an upgrade. Im guessing it looks something like their pre edge jersey.

Monday seems like an eternity.

Is Monday supposed to be the unveil?

The guy from icethetics (very reliable) says he has seen the Blues new home jersey (via twitter). Says it is an upgrade. Im guessing it looks something like their pre edge jersey.

Icethetics is supposed to have details of the new jerseys on their website on Monday.

Icethetics is supposed to have details of the new jerseys on their website on Monday.

I'm guessing that there will be a leak by the team before then. That's how they did it in 07, where they let it out the night before.

Hope so. Sadly, I'm expecting a bland and derivative look instead like most recent NHL changes have been.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Hope so. Sadly, I'm expecting a bland and derivative look instead like most recent NHL changes have been.

So you think everything has to be jazzed up in a way? Should the Red Wings, Blackhawks, or Rangers change now? I'm sure Stillman (the owner) will get it right. I'll take something that's timeless any day, which that seems to be the aim.

Archived