2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sharks need to go back to the teal home jerseys IMO.

I'm glad the ducks finally ditched the script logo but I'm upset over how they ruined their chance to make some pretty nice uniforms. First of all, the socks need to be flipped around. I hate how the orange is on top and black is on bottom. HATE IT.

Orange should be on the shoulders for both jerseys, not black. This jersey would have been a 10 if it didn't focus on orange as an accent, rather use it as a primary focal point. The black shoulders on the away jersey seems so forced. Either make it Orange on both or make it White on the road and keep the orange accent. Just a shame :( But still fails to the original Mighty Ducks Jerseys, miss them so bad.

With that being said, why can't the NHL be like the MLB/NFL and have throw back jersey games? NHL limits it to only winter stadium games and most of the times, they aren't throw back jerseys but re-creations of popular throws backs. Why couldn't, for instance, the Canucks choose to wear it's early 90's skate (red/yellow/black) jerseys on Sundays? Why is the NHL missing out on this opportunity and if anything, merchandise sales

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

the ducks away jersey bothers me.

option a: orange on bottom, then white, black, gold, white, orange.

shoulders should be white.

if black shoulders:

then bottom on the sleeves need to be black and keep orange as an accent color.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Sorry to post twice in a row but these images really illustrate the Sharks fall from grace uniform wise. What a difference

San-Jose-Sharks-Teal-Jersey-1991-1998.jp

317a6a4ed89d2adbdb2ea974a510bb41660x440x

Absolutely.

Except for the logo - the full-body shark is an order of magnitude better than that first slap-dash rendering.

That player in the teal's face says it all. "Please bring my jerseys back!". Sorry, at quick glance, I can't tell who he is. :( I disagree with you on the logo. The Full-Shark is a cool logo, but there's something about the Original logo that I can't quite wrap my finger around that I find is really, really cool. To me, the Full-Shark seems like a typical modern logo that's meant to be "fierce looking". I know the Sharks' Original Logo is something out of the 90's but, to me, it has that "Good old hockey." vibe to it. I am having a lot of trouble trying to explain it but I do know one thing, I'd take those original jerseys over the Sharks current "lightweight" look anyday. One thing I also really like about the Original look is that it reminds me of the Hartford Whalers old uniforms and the lighter shade of teal they had before.

Just came to say that I am a big fan of the enormity of Anaheim's D.

That is both a serious post and a stupid joke.

Yes, but chances are "enormity" doesn't mean what you think it does.

*googles*

Dammit.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

399818.jpg

This is a thing of beauty. I have a replica of this jersey stored away in my jersey collection. To this day it's my favorite Lightning jersey they have put out.
See, that's actually close to a decent Lightning sweater. Remove the rain pattern, remove the lightning bolts on the sleeves, and go with more traditional waist striping and you have something that's unique, a bit modern looking, but still traditional enough to feel like it fits in the NHL without ripping off Toronto ;)

Off topic right now, but I wondered if anybody had heard anything about this. I'm reading Eddie Shore: And That Old Time Hockey by C. Michael Haim, and he has an aside to Howie Morenz's time with the Chicago Black Hawks. Right after talking about the 1936-37 All Americans failure, he says,

[Frederic] McLaughlin had earlier let his wife, Irene, design the Chicago uniform, and, according to reports, she "spent considerable time in museums and art galleries studying the war paint, feathers, and art of the original Black Hawk Indians. Then she incorporated her findings into her husband's team's uniform. As a final touch she had specially made hockey gloves with tessellated doodads similar to those worn by Buffalo Bill." One night [Howie] Morenz had sheepishly shown Frank Patrick the gloves and said, sadly, "You never thought, Frank, did you, that I'd finish my career rigged out like this?"

That WOULD explain the major change in uniforms:

1936-37 1937-38

Blackhawks08.pngBlackhawks09.png

But tassels on the gloves? Tell me a photo of this exists somewhere! Anybody confirm this story?

Note it doesn't say "tassellated", it says "tessellated". This means there wasn't fringe on the gloves, but likely some sort patterned design made of geometric shapes. The triangular inserts on the 1936-37 pants may lend some insight into this.

In one of my hockey history books it shows a picture of a Black Hawk player wearing the 1936/37 uniform posing for the cameraman and the gloves he was wearing had a fringed look.to it. The caption under the picture said something like "(players name) wearing the new Hawks uniform. The team wore fringed gloves and art deco style pants to compliment their new sweater". Or something like that. I'm paraphrasing since its been years since I leafed through that book so I'm going by memory here. But they defiantly had unique looking gloves.

EDIT: Google searching I found the pic online

64c0848465dade8f05144fd73a55a7014b6e24fb

The fancy stripes on the socks and the striping on the pants match but the gloves don't really look tessellated do they unless you go by corrugated tessellation.

This little back-and-forth leads me to believe this may have been the birth of what I'd refer to as "backhand dots" as showcased on these modern-day Winnwell mitts:

Winnwell-GX-6-Hockey-Gloves.jpg

That v-shaped pattern used to be very commonplace back in the day.

5amlwx.jpg

399818.jpg

This is a thing of beauty. I have a replica of this jersey stored away in my jersey collection. To this day it's my favorite Lightning jersey they have put out.
See, that's actually close to a decent Lightning sweater. Remove the rain pattern, remove the lightning bolts on the sleeves, and go with more traditional waist striping and you have something that's unique, a bit modern looking, but still traditional enough to feel like it fits in the NHL without ripping off Toronto ;)

Sure, if you get rid of the rain, lightning, waves, and made-in-powerpoint logo, it would look great. Then again, it would end up looking nothing like this anyways, so...

Here's what I had in mind...

TampaBayLightning1992-1999_zps2ddf4c86.p

Maybe keep the sleeve lightning bolts.

I really don't get why they wouldn't use an "electric" color, like a neon or highlighter yello or something like volt.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I really don't get why they wouldn't use an "electric" color, like a neon or highlighter yello or something like volt.

In 1992, Phil Knight hadn't yet stolen the color volt from Olympus and benevolently bestowed it on humanity.

Just came to say that I am a big fan of the enormity of Anaheim's D.

That is both a serious post and a stupid joke.

Yes, but chances are "enormity" doesn't mean what you think it does.

*googles*

Dammit.

One time on facebook I saw this guy say to this girl I went to high school with, "I can't describe the enormity of my love for you." I wasn't sure if he made a gaffe or if the two of them were just into some really sick stuff.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here's what I had in mind...

TampaBayLightning1992-1999_zps2ddf4c86.p

Maybe keep the sleeve lightning bolts.

It's a little barren without the bolts but still miles better than their current home jersey. I think if you added a small amount of white to the stripes and shoulders (thin outline around the yoke maybe), you'd have something great. That logo looks fantastic in Hawaiian Blue.

At least keep the waves, as far as I'm concerned. The waves bring that sweater alive, and it fits the concept of a '90s expansion franchise without shoving it in everyone's face.

This is also what I get for not looking at this thread for several days, including the Draft period, I guess, because this Lightning discussion goes back several posts. Huh.

spacer.png

Nike.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So I'm beginning to think the Blues may not be getting a new look, but if they are they sure will be getting rid of a lot of old stock with all those Stastny jersey going out the door on a jersey he won't ever wear in a game.

Archived