2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to sound negative in this post, so let me preface this by saying this is a huge upgrade. The Blues will look very good wearing these sweaters. With that said...

Why are teams so unable to make the little decisions that elevates a look from very good to flawless, or at least almost flawless? Hell, in this case they pretty much had the flawless decision right there in their inspiration, and they changed it for no damn reason.

The sleeves stripes are too thick, but that's not a huge issue. The big issue is the thin royal blue stripe in between the yellow and the white. It's a completely unnecessary addition and makes the should stripes inconsistent with the sleeves and waist.

Having the yellow and gold touch would create a muddled look, especially when the stripes are that thick. I think they are necessary addition that doesn't take away from the look at all. Plus there's a slight historical precedent.

Blues05.png

I get what you're saying, but I'm so happy to see the team dressing the way they should that I'm willing to ignore that small detail.

It's sort of like how the Islanders went to their throwbacks fulltime, but they inexplicably went with the uniforms that are slightly different from what they wore during their dynasty years. I mean, the Islanders should be dressing the way they were in 1982 and are instead dressing the way they were in 1977, but at this point I'm just happy that they got close to how they should look after so many years wandering lost in the wilderness that it's good enough for me.

And no offense to you, but that's almost precisely why I'm less and less interested in sports design and why I wish I cared less about it when it comes to the teams I for which I root.

It just seems like the details don't really matter in sports design. Once you hit generally good and/or nostalgic, then you're set. No need to bother with the little things. I think that largely speaks to a couple of human tendencies that go beyond basic logic. That would be (relatively) unconditional loyalty to our teams, and as I alluded to, nostalgia.

And that's alright, I suppose, but as an extremely detail oriented designer, I can't get out of that mindset. There are plenty of other good designers who seem to be able to. But I can't. There isn't really a "good enough" for me. I judge all the way to perfect.

And maybe the worst part me feeling that way and sports teams generally not, is that I tend to be more bothered by designs that are well within reach of perfect but don't go there than I am of designs that are complete dumpster fires.

I like the blue stripe between the white and yellow because I feel white and yellow should never touch or else they become muddled.

This is a fair view point, and it wouldn't bother me if they did that on the shoulders as well. But they didn't.

I give it a solid 8.5/10. Sure, it could be better, but they made such a big improvement over the old stuff that it's hard to hold the imperfections against them too much. It's a sweater befitting a heritage team in a traditional city. Kudos to the Blues.

Backes is still a dickweed

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Blues mockup is better, but not a classic. Stillman and a Blues beat writer have mentioned classic and timeless, this isn't. Icethetics mentioned that the shoulder striping was based off of the 67 jersey. The mockup doesn't show it, and only the whites had shoulder striping. The blue jersey didn't have a shoulder yoke until 1979. I'd love to see the new jerseys be the ones from 68-73 with the current Note and no navy. Not sure what to this because of the inconsistencies of the mockup and what was described.

In my perfect world, the Blues would mix both shades of blue, yellow, and white, while the Sabres just go with single-layer yellow on royal blue. The white outlines on the 1970-96 dark sweater always seemed to get in the way to me. It'd be more striking without the white.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm a little disappointed with the blues to be honest. While it is an upgrade, if this is true, the jersey has design flaws.

They either need to remove the blue between the white and yellow on the arms or add a blue line between the white and yellow on the shoulders. Inconsistency is my biggest complaint and unfortunately my favorite team is doing it right now.

But THANK GOD, no more roundal logo.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

My biggest fear of the Blues new jerseys is the possibility of a creative font like the Ducks, Kings, Sens, etc. If they stick to a standard block font, it will look outstanding. A cutesy font will kill it.

newblues3.png

Here's what I came up with for the away jersey. It could go either way. Based on the decision of the 2000's style, should be "A" but prolly be "C"

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Br9KUukCQAEalNM.jpg

Recreation based on sneak peak. No photo leaks yet.

Nice! The only thing I'd change is to get rid of the space between the white and yellow stripes on the sleeves and hem to match the outline of the yoke. Regardless, this is a big improvement on the crap they were wearing.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived