2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

As of the last couple years, board advertisements go under league control for the playoffs so that everyone has GEICO, Tim Hortons, Advil, Honda, Bridgestone, and any other big-time league partners I'm forgetting.

What's odd to me is they lay them out completely different in each arena. You would think with the advertisers being the same, they would have the arenas lay them out in the same way.

It also makes for some interesting juxtapositions where you can see a competitors ad in the near corner or on the ice.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything, at second glance, what really interests me is how often NHL teams change their advertising along the boards. I had never noticed this before. The two games screenshoted here were only played ten weeks apart (February and April 2014), yet the advertisements are completely different.

The Sabres change some advertisements IN BETWEEN PERIODS. It's done pretty simply and quickly, too. They're just large stickers.

The Flyers confirmed an alternate jersey for 14-15 tonight, but no details on what it looks like

It will probably be black and will probably supplant the orange as the primary home in 5 years. Let's hope not though.

The Flyers confirmed an alternate jersey for 14-15 tonight, but no details on what it looks like

It will probably be black and will probably supplant the orange as the primary home in 5 years. Let's hope not though.

The Flyers should never have a black home jersey ever again!

Every other team is doing it right nowadays. No reason for the Flyers to mess that up.

Every other team is doing it right nowadays. No reason for the Flyers to mess that up.

I don't mind a black alt as long as it stays as an alt. Their current set is pretty much perfect

The black Flyers jersey worked.. until they got rid of the orange jerseys in favor of it. A black version of what they've got now with orange striping could be a nice alternate.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I don't mind a black alt as long as it stays as an alt. Their current set is pretty much perfect

Am I the only one around here who HATES the Flyers contrasting nameplates and contrasting (by which I mean different colored on the back and sleeves), single-outlined numbers?

Am I the only one around here who HATES the Flyers contrasting nameplates and contrasting (by which I mean different colored on the back and sleeves), single-outlined numbers?

Right with you on the nameplates, but I'm not sure what you're saying about the numbers.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Well, maybe I'm just really bad at perceptive things. I have no idea. But...

huh.png

The one on the left is a FS Midwest production, and other is an NBCSN production from this past postseason. Based on the blueline, the angles here should pretty much be identical. I was too lazy to try and find angles that lined up with center ice.

(it would be better if the Fox Sports ticker wasn't in the way on the bottom.)

All of the center ice cameras at Scottrade are lined-up, one next to the other, in the mezzanine level. During the playoffs, I've seen as many as eight. There are suites between the mezzanine & the lower bowl, so there's no where else for them to be perched. I never thought this camera angle was odd. The only one I can recall not liking is Joe Louis because of the obstructions.

Right with you on the nameplates, but I'm not sure what you're saying about the numbers.

Flyers31.png

See how on the backs of the home, the numbers are white with a single black outline but on the sleeves they are orange with a single black outline, and vice versa for the away? I don't like that. I think numbers should be the same color on the back of the jersey as they are on the sleeves. The fact that they only have a single outline as opposed to a double outline bugs me as well. I just feel as though an extra outline could fix what I have an issue with. I'll do a quick mock-up of what I'm talking about.

Flyers31.png

See how on the backs of the home, the numbers are white with a single black outline but on the sleeves they are orange with a single black outline, and vice versa for the away? I don't like that. I think numbers should be the same color on the back of the jersey as they are on the sleeves. The fact that they only have a single outline as opposed to a double outline bugs me as well. I just feel as though an extra outline could fix what I have an issue with. I'll do a quick mock-up of what I'm talking about.

you do see why they do that with the numbers right?

Here's a quick and dirty representation of how I think the Flyers could fix their jerseys.

Flyers_zps35f7dd2e.png

EDIT: Yes, I do wonderbread. But as you can see with my concept here, I believe if you add the extra outline (it's kinda hard to tell that it's there) it works.

that doesn't work because then it makes it harder to see the shoulder numbers

I disagree. I believe that orange/black and white/black sufficiently contrast so that the numbers can be seen well enough.

The Blues used to use a royal bluenote on a royal jersey with thin outlines and that worked okay for them. I don't see why for shoulder numbers (especially with today's HD televisions), it would not work.

I'd like something in between the two. Cut back the shoulder stripes on the '80s/'90s sweater to show more base color, but not so much that the numbers don't fit. White nameplates on both; the black nameplates are completely stupid.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A crest is about 8 times bigger than shoulder numbers is why, and it didn't work great for the blues which is why they added navy to their scheme.

It worked for 30 years. The navy was a relatively recent addition. That's why many people, myself included, wanted to see the Blues ditch the navy with their redesign. Unfortunately, it looks like that isn't going to happen.

I agree with the admiral, for the most part; sans the nameplates. Nameplates are goofy regardless.

Or they could just go with something like this...

:D

This was a terrific update of that flawed 1970s look. If they were going to go back in time, I wish it had been to this.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived