2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Flyers have had essentially the same logo through their entire history. No need for a "liberty bell" logo or anything else. IMO their logo qualifies as iconic, and there's not too many of those in the NHL. You say they shouldn't mess with orange (and I agree with you), but I say they definitely shouldn't mess with the logo. That 3d abomination was bad enough.

The thing is, I don't think a team should have two of the same color jerseys - unless there's a lot of difference between them - even then it's not a great idea. The wing P on an orange jersey is the Flyers. The only thing worse than diluting the brand is diluting the primary identifiers of the brand, which are the color, and the logo.

Well a liberty bell logo could be used as a shoulder patch, but if you're going to have a third jersey with the same base colour as your home, it's not a bad idea to use a different logo. For one thing, alternate jerseys should be an outlet for trying new things (I think the problem with the 3D winged-P was that they tried to alter and "modernize" and iconic logo, rather than try something completely new). Also, having two orange jerseys with the exact same logo might be a little redundant. Like you said, if two of a team's jerseys are the same colour there must be some other way of differentiating them. I love the Red Wings' logo and consider it to be one of the most iconic logos in sports, but I love the WC jersey with the old-English D and winged wheels on the shoulders. If they decided to put into the rotation full time I wouldn't consider it a dilution of their brand, I'd see it as a good compliment to the rest of their set.

The original jerseys used gold in the logos. That's it. There was a ton of silver, but no gold.

The original jerseys for who?
Anaheim.

Anaheim-Mighty-Ducks.jpg

That "gold" sure looks like Yellow to me, bub.

Athletic gold. Dark yellow. I'm not arguing semantics on this.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The original jerseys used gold in the logos. That's it. There was a ton of silver, but no gold.

Anaheim.

Anaheim-Mighty-Ducks.jpg

PANTONE 123 C.

The Ducks called it Yellow, the L.A. Lakers call it Gold.

Anaheim.

Anaheim-Mighty-Ducks.jpg

I meant the original "Anaheim Ducks" jerseys, not the "Mighty Ducks." Aka the prototypes with green and bronze

Can we refer to their current colour as bronze? 'Cause that aint gold, and it's confusing the hell out of me when you people bring up "gold".

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Gold and bronze are both the same colors it's just what the ducks call it.

You ever watch an Olympics?

The story, as I understand it, is that the Ducks were planning on going with a dark green/orange/bronze color scheme. Plans were made to a point where ColorWerx had the Pantone values. Then, late in the process, Burke decided he wanted to go black and gold because of Camp Pendleton, so that's what they did.

Gold is what the Ducks wear now. If you want to see something aling the lines of bronze or copper, look at the 1996-2006 Washington Capitals.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If anything, at second glance, what really interests me is how often NHL teams change their advertising along the boards. I had never noticed this before. The two games screenshoted here were only played ten weeks apart (February and April 2014), yet the advertisements are completely different.

Ads on the boards are changed every game, for a variety of reasons:

1. Deals with sponsors....sponsors can buy board space for full-season, half-season, quarter-season, X-number of games, etc. Also, location on the boards....board space between the blue lines cost more than board space behind the goal line simply due to the amount of TV exposure. The NHL owns the space in the corners, which is why you'll see the NHL logo, NHL Network, or TV logo (for the nationally-televised games) in the same spot in every building.

2. These sponsor stickers get beat up. Mainly due to the puck being smacked along the board, but these stickers suffer small cuts and scrapes, even a little rubber rubbish if the puck hits it just right. These ad stickers get changed after that morning's Morning Skate so that they look as pristine as possible for the game. Some teams use either digital ads (I know Tampa had these at one point) or rollers with 2-3 ads on them.

3. As someone else mentioned, the NHL owns the prime real-estate boards for league events (All-Star Game, Winter Classic, and all outdoor and playoff games). I want to say the NHL has to approve the team-only sponsors for playoff games, especially when it comes to competing companies (like Coke/Pepsi, Gatorade/Powerade, etc.)

The story, as I understand it, is that the Ducks were planning on going with a dark green/orange/bronze color scheme. Plans were made to a point where ColorWerx had the Pantone values. Then, late in the process, Burke decided he wanted to go black and gold because of Camp Pendleton, so that's what they did.

It wasn't even Camp Pendleton, which is at least sorta nearby. It was West Point. Ol' Burkie went to an Army practice and decided that his team had to be like the actual military and "make sacrifices together" and stuff.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/50007-west-point-visit-inspired-ducks-new-colours/

Time to pounce on the Ducks for Military Dress-Up.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived