2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

I'll never understand why the Lethbridge freaking Hurricanes went for a complete photocopy of the Washington Capitals.

Portland Winterhawks : Chicago Blackhawks, sure I get that. Makes more than enough sense. (Even more if you want to throw in the Portland Rosebuds historical component.) But why the Lethbridge Hurricanes aped the Washington Capitals? Like... what?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've come a long way since the design holocaust of 2007

jerseysignature2.jpg

I would personally add Minnesota's red jersey too

That doesn't count, though, because it wasn't part of the Edge changeover and it was designed well before the league went to all Reebok branding.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Washington's are horrendous. The unnecessary piping, side panels, colour bleeding, contoured hems, and weird-ass white streaks all blow.

And yet, still light years ahead of the Jagr-era royal blue, black, and copper. Yea, because those are the colors I think of when I picture Washington DC. Just like blue, white, and orange pop in my head when I say to myself, "Seattle Supersonics" - NOT.
The teal-blue, black, and copper worked perfectly BECAUSE it doesn't immediately come to mind, IMO. Red/white/blue is so cliched for a DC team, it's the easy and uninspired choice.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Washington's are horrendous. The unnecessary piping, side panels, colour bleeding, contoured hems, and weird-ass white streaks all blow.

And yet, still light years ahead of the Jagr-era royal blue, black, and copper. Yea, because those are the colors I think of when I picture Washington DC. Just like blue, white, and orange pop in my head when I say to myself, "Seattle Supersonics" - NOT.
The teal-blue, black, and copper worked perfectly BECAUSE it doesn't immediately come to mind, IMO. Red/white/blue is so cliched for a DC team, it's the easy and uninspired choice.
If their NHL team was called the Foxhounds, Whitetail Deer, or Icemen, I'd probably agree with you. But it's not. They're the Capitals, so red, white, and blue it is.

We've come a long way since the design holocaust of 2007

jerseysignature2.jpg

I would personally add Minnesota's red jersey too

That doesn't count, though, because it wasn't part of the Edge changeover and it was designed well before the league went to all Reebok branding.

it's the dropping of the hemline stripes and the addition of the phantom yoke to it. The pre-edge jersey was a lot better with those rather simple tweaks.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

That

Here's an accurate picture of the edge jerseys and what teams have made changes since. (Blues not crossed out just yet)

NjYhmxP.png

Half of the league have decided their first edge look needed to be ditched. Truly one of the worst marketing decisions the NHL has made. That's not even bringing up that several of the teams who still have their first Edge jerseys, need change.

I'll never understand why the Lethbridge freaking Hurricanes went for a complete photocopy of the Washington Capitals.

Portland Winterhawks : Chicago Blackhawks, sure I get that. Makes more than enough sense. (Even more if you want to throw in the Portland Rosebuds historical component.) But why the Lethbridge Hurricanes aped the Washington Capitals? Like... what?

The only reason I can possibly think of for copying the Capitals is that they used the Capitals jerseys (but with their own logo) when they started in the late 80's until the Taz switch in the late 90's.

Sorry to dive into a CHL/WHL tangent, but I don't think the Hurricanes have ever had a great look.

https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/440/Lethbridge_Hurricanes/

I didn't mind the logo and jerseys from 04-09 and Taz is Taz, but look at the logos and jerseys from 09-10 on, especially the 09-11 set. Three changes in the past four years and none are that good. But you aren't going to get much when your team is purposely ironically named.

They have problems on and off ice, especially this past year, and their jerseys aren't helping.

IbjBaeE.png

The biggest problem with the Caps' current look is the side paneling. Doesn't fit and looks clunky.

They're also a team that would benefit from a set of red breezers/shells for road games with the current white sweaters but I doubt that'll happen.

Archived