2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how a black alternate would look for Colorado. Since they already have black helmets and bottoms, I don't think it'd look too out of place for them to have one. I'm not saying it's the best option by any means, just saying (and big emphasis here) if done right, it could work.

*ducks and runs, dodges tomatoes* :P

Starter made a black fashion jersey in the 90's that actually looked pretty sharp. They just replaced white with black on the (then) home.

Next season will be the ninth under Reebok. There is absolutely no excuse for Colorado, Calgary, Ottawa, Pittsburgh et al. to still be wearing their click-and-fill garbage. If the chance to boost merchandise sales or, you know, actually look good won't convince them to change things, what will?

Pittsburgh's uniform history is quickly becoming a joke. Just the fact that they're considering ditching the recently unveiled thirds says it all. I expect them to wear the click and fill garbage for another 10 years...

I wonder how a black alternate would look for Colorado. Since they already have black helmets and bottoms, I don't think it'd look too out of place for them to have one. I'm not saying it's the best option by any means, just saying (and big emphasis here) if done right, it could work.

*ducks and runs, dodges tomatoes* :P

Starter made a black fashion jersey in the 90's that actually looked pretty sharp. They just replaced white with black on the (then) home.

Next season will be the ninth under Reebok. There is absolutely no excuse for Colorado, Calgary, Ottawa, Pittsburgh et al. to still be wearing their click-and-fill garbage. If the chance to boost merchandise sales or, you know, actually look good won't convince them to change things, what will?

Pittsburgh's uniform history is quickly becoming a joke. Just the fact that they're considering ditching the recently unveiled thirds says it all. I expect them to wear the click and fill garbage for another 10 years...

Do you recall where you heard the rumor about the Pens ditching this season's alternate jersey? I have family in the area, and I'm hearing the complete opposite. Those jerseys have been so popular, there's been talk about that set replacing the regular home uniform, and the team bringing back the white uniform from that era for the new road jersey on a full time basis. Even before this season, those black retro jerseys were a popular reminder of the back to back Cup Champs.

"third jersey fatigue".

You know in a weird sort of way I agree with that statement that he made. I come from an era where teams had a dark road and a light home and that was it. No third jerseys, outdoor jerseys, retro jerseys, 4th jerseys, St.Patrick's day jerseys, Thursday nights on the night of a full moon during the Vernal Equinox jerseys etc. etc.

I miss the simple days when teams had an identity that was as plain as day instead of being all convoluted with multiple looks..

I know I'm not as hip as you youngin's (heck I still use Dial up Internet connection), but I miss those days when we had Nordiques, Whalers and North Stars. Talked to each other instead of texting each other. Lived our lives through a real face to face social life instead of trending on social media. Didn't have excessive CGI in movies and kids ate sugary Pac-Man cereal every Saturday morning while they watched cartoons.

915492c3795c936fc80e5559364b5e48.jpg

The Catch of the Day!

Yes, because today's kids never talk to each other and never leave Facebook and never eat sugary cereals and never watch cartoons.

People need to stop whining on the internet about how the older generation was better and everything was better in "ye olde days".

IbjBaeE.png

"third jersey fatigue".

You know in a weird sort of way I agree with that statement that he made. I come from an era where teams had a dark road and a light home and that was it. No third jerseys, outdoor jerseys, retro jerseys, 4th jerseys, St.Patrick's day jerseys, Thursday nights on the night of a full moon during the Vernal Equinox jerseys etc. etc.

I miss the simple days when teams had an identity that was as plain as day instead of being all convoluted with multiple looks..

I know I'm not as hip as you youngin's (heck I still use Dial up Internet connection), but I miss those days when we had Nordiques, Whalers and North Stars. Talked to each other instead of texting each other. Lived our lives through a real face to face social life instead of trending on social media. Didn't have excessive CGI in movies and kids ate sugary Pac-Man cereal every Saturday morning while they watched cartoons.

What they can do with CGI in movies is pretty awesome. Yeah, some movies look ridiculous...but others are pure movie "magic".

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

"third jersey fatigue".

I agree generally, but the Sabres haven't gone especially crazy with the third jerseys. He was talking about the local fanbase. If you take out the flirting with the classic look during the slug era, they've only had three alt jerseys in their entire history (all since 2000, but still).

Do you recall where you heard the rumor about the Pens ditching this season's alternate jersey? I have family in the area, and I'm hearing the complete opposite. Those jerseys have been so popular, there's been talk about that set replacing the regular home uniform, and the team bringing back the white uniform from that era for the new road jersey on a full time basis. Even before this season, those black retro jerseys were a popular reminder of the back to back Cup Champs.

Somewhere on these boards, I heard they were ditching them because of a losing record and that it was Crosby's call. That coupled with their annoying habit of changing alternates every two years, while doing nothing to fix their full time monstrosities.

Well this sucks, i got one for Christmas and now it's being retired(Sabres 3rd)

Did you really expect them to keep it?

Anyway, the Sabres' president was on the radio this morning, and there was some jersey talk. He confirmed that the third was dead... he was pretty frank, but tried his best to spin it. He said he thought there was "third jersey fatigue". Personally, I think the problem was a hideous jersey worn by hideous teams. But that's just my opinion.

He also said there were no current plans for a new third. He threw out the idea a couple of times that there might not be a third until the 50th anniversary in 2020, but if the team gets good again, I expect that "third jersey fatigue" to disappear. It wouldn't be a stretch at all to have a new third for 2017 or 2018 and then one for the anniversary in 2020.

Edit: and the hosts brought up the idea of a red-and-black throwback, but he didn't bite at all.

Do they not realize the previous 3rd was great? They ditched a perfectly good, we'll received 3rd jersey for one of the ugliest things we've ever witnessed. Nobody was calling for a change, that was their ($$$) own ($$$) damn ($$$) fault.

Somewhere on these boards, I heard they were ditching them because of a losing record and that it was Crosby's call. That coupled with their annoying habit of changing alternates every two years, while doing nothing to fix their full time monstrosities.

Didn't think they could, because 2 year min for thirds.

EDIT: Also, losing record? According to this site, the Pens are 5-2-2 in them this year

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Besides actually wearing the actual correct color scheme, their previous alt kinda sucked. Script instead of logo on the front, the god-forsaken colored nameplate treatment, the weird pattern on the numbers, and a stripe overload. Still their best non-throwback uniform since their first set, but that's not saying much.

Do they not realize the previous 3rd was great? They ditched a perfectly good, we'll received 3rd jersey for one of the ugliest things we've ever witnessed. Nobody was calling for a change, that was their ($$$) own ($$$) damn ($$$) fault.

As the owner of an authentic, I can personally vouch for its greatness. Was such a refreshing change from the dull navy uniforms. Its only problem was the nameplate (because it just wouldn't be a sabres uniform if they didn't mess up something).

As the owner of an authentic, I can personally vouch for its greatness. Was such a refreshing change from the dull navy uniforms. Its only problem was the nameplate (because it just wouldn't be a sabres uniform if they didn't mess up something).

In general, I think I can excuse one wacky thing per jersey. Especially with alts, where you're not as concerned with comparing them to what they're replacing. The contrasting and unnecessary stitching in the numbers combined with the nameplates... too much for me. They were still great (I long for royal blue full-time), but slightly too much for me.

In general, I think I can excuse one wacky thing per jersey. Especially with alts, where you're not as concerned with comparing them to what they're replacing. The contrasting and unnecessary stitching in the numbers combined with the nameplates... too much for me. They were still great (I long for royal blue full-time), but slightly too much for me.
While some things were unnecessary, I liked it as a whole. Would be nicer with yellow numbers, and I liked the different coloured nameplate personally.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

What a spectacular matchup. If only this was 2009 Stanley Cup Final...

85dmr6V.jpg

And if only the Red Wings had won game 7...
Yeah, would have ended that interminable Detroit Cup drought, amirite?

Archived