2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

7 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The "white at home lets home fans see all the colours of the league" argument means nothing when you can watch any team play at any arena from your phone. 

Or, in the case of the Islanders, watch the team play from your phone while you're in the arena.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

My ideal scenario? Rip off soccer. Have primary and clash kits. That would allow the Habs to wear red as often as possible while allowing teams like the Leafs and Jets to wear white as often as possible. It could also allow a team like the Preds to really experiment with their look. They could designate the gold as their primary sweater and break out a navy version the rare times they play teams that primarily wear white. 

Or we could just keep it the way it is instead of looking to a sport, with vastly inferior uniforms as inspiration.  Every team has had a coloured uniform, with a matching white, since 1952.  Crucial to the art of uniform design is finding a colour palette and arranging it to look good on both dark and light applications.  The clash scenario would not only fly in the face of tradition, but would also result in a visual mess.

If alternate uniforms were phased out I could get behind the white at home argument but since they won't, I think it's best things are left the way they are.

1 hour ago, 2001mark said:

I'd have teams where home whites until the All Star break.  I'd also let playoff home teams decide, like the NFL.  

I'm pro home whites, though I get the argument for either.  Home whites lets fans see the parade of unis from around the league instead of home colours v whites every home date.

I was a big fan of this when the OHL did it back when I was following the league in the early '90s. 

14 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

I like whites because it shows the team colours without overwhelming them.(baseball opinion; ill be honest)

would make things a lot easier if the NHL adopted/allowed single helmets and pants, so all you need to pack is jerseys and socks for a change.

The NHL does have single pants. Every team uses the same pants for home and road uniforms. Any time you see a team with different pants from their standard ones, they're wearing pant covers.

1 minute ago, Chromatic said:

The NHL does have single pants. Every team uses the same pants for home and road uniforms. Any time you see a team with different pants from their standard ones, they're wearing pant covers.

Fair enough, but the helmet point still stands. Could also use the same socks on those occasions, so all you need to pack is a second set of jerseys

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Just now, DiePerske said:

Fair enough, but the helmet point still stands. Could also use the same socks on those occasions, so all you need to pack is a second set of jerseys

No. I'm hard pressed to think of a team that would look better with a coloured helmet on white jerseys or a white helmet with coloured jerseys. It would look disgustingly minor league and disjointed. And absolutely not for the socks. Nothing looks worse in hockey than mismatching socks, it just looks like your organization isn't willing to shell out for two pairs to match each set.

6 hours ago, hockey week said:

If the NHL did the mid-season swap, they would be laughed at as an even less-respectable league. That's such a minor league thing to do.

We all know that colors at home makes so much more sense logistically, and there are only two reasons for white at home. 1) it's what we grew up with, and 2) home fans see more colors from visiting teams.

That's not enough to excuse the hassles of the visiting team packing a second set of jerseys so the home team can wear their third jerseys, which are almost never white. 

Wait a few pages and we'll have another discussion why the NHL should have more color vs color games, and this sudden love of white sweaters will be long forgotten.

Teams in the NFL do it every year and some teams Dolphins have done it based on day or night game. Switching jerseys don't make it a minor league thing to do, since most minor league teams are very well run and know how to market themselves.

4 minutes ago, oddball said:

Teams in the NFL do it every year and some teams Dolphins have done it based on day or night game. Switching jerseys don't make it a minor league thing to do, since most minor league teams are very well run and know how to market themselves.

The NFL has only 16 regular season games to worry about, and only 1 each week, so packing a different set of jerseys is really easy for them. They're also the NFL, the best marketed league in the country and known worldwide, they could wear burlap sacks and everyone would know ahead of time, be excited about it, and they'd sell 10 million of them.

But when you have a more niche sport like hockey, where not everybody is in the know, things like who is wearing colors matters for knowing who the home team is. I remember having to explain who was at home because people naturally expected the colored jerseys to be the home team. For casual fans to know "the NHL wears white at home" and then halfway through it switches, to relearn "the NHL wears colors at home" is jarring. The Major Juniors do it to sell more jerseys, but in the NHL the white jerseys have never been all that popular, so why bother? It's a minor league thing, it reeks of minor league tomfoolery, it's not something that a league that struggles to be taken truly seriously should do to better their situation.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

3rd jerseys are bush league. They dilute the team identity just for the sake of a cash grab. I like consistency (ironic coming from a Canucks fan, but it's not my fault).

Look at the Red Wings. Flawless. (forget the stadium series stuff)

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Outside of baseball, I pretty much always prefer color jerseys at home. As some others have pointed out, color jerseys pop out more against the white ice than white jerseys do, serving to highlight the home team. And I always think it looks better when the color the home team is wearing matches the colors that most fans are wearing (and often, the color scheme of the arena in general).

Also, it seems the consensus is that color jerseys usually are superior to their white counterparts, with which I would completely agree. There are a few teams whose white jerseys are superior - Detroit and Toronto are the notable two, and you can make an argument for Chicago, Winnipeg, and the Rangers (though I'd take the color jerseys for each of those 3 over their whites). The fact that they stand out from the pack shows they're the exception that proves the rule.

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

3rd jerseys are bush league. They dilute the team identity just for the sake of a cash grab. I like consistency (ironic coming from a Canucks fan, but it's not my fault).

Look at the Red Wings. Flawless. (forget the stadium series stuff)

Alternate uniforms make places like these boards infinitely more interesting.  At least in the NHL, they have the good taste to restrict them to one per team (I'm looking at you NBA)...  Third jerseys can be bush league (i.e: every Islanders iteration) but they also have the potential to expand a teams visual identity while looking pretty spectacular in the process.  When I think of great alternate looks, the Ranger's Liberty set, and Minnesota's first 'Iron Range Red' spring immediately to mind.  As for current examples, Anaheim, Calgary, Carolina, Columbus, Edmonton, New York (Rangers) and Toronto do a great job as well.

Alternate uniforms make places like these boards infinitely more interesting.  At least in the NHL, they have the good taste to restrict them to one per team (I'm looking at you NBA)...  Third jerseys can be bush league (i.e: every Islanders iteration) but they also have the potential to expand a teams visual identity while looking pretty spectacular in the process.  When I think of great alternate looks, the Ranger's Liberty set, and Minnesota's first 'Iron Range Red' spring immediately to mind.  As for current examples, Anaheim, Calgary, Carolina, Columbus, Edmonton, New York (Rangers) and Toronto do a great job as well.

Teams reinvent their look every so often regardless. Why the need to throw another logo into the mix, along with already existing shoulder patches and alternate insignia. It's just a unnecessary overload of conflicting identity. 

And Columbus? Seriously.  

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I generally like capping teams at one alternate, but I would't mind seeing a couple of white road alternates, which we'll unfortunately never see with a one alt limit. The Rangers' white Liberty jerseys (though they were worn during the white-at-home era) are a great example of how a white alt can work well:

Front%20M.jpg

I prefer what the Western Hockey League does. The home team wears dark at home until Christmas or New Year's and then it's light the rest of the way. I like seeing the other team's primary colours than always seeing white with the exception of Nashville, provided they wear their Saturday look on the road. Yellow/gold vs colour. 

White at home, color on the road, one white (or light) alt, one dark color alt. Limit of 8 appearances for each alt. I'm fine with that, and the NHL should be fine with the money.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

4 hours ago, hockey week said:

The NFL has only 16 regular season games to worry about, and only 1 each week, so packing a different set of jerseys is really easy for them. They're also the NFL, the best marketed league in the country and known worldwide, they could wear burlap sacks and everyone would know ahead of time, be excited about it, and they'd sell 10 million of them.

But when you have a more niche sport like hockey, where not everybody is in the know, things like who is wearing colors matters for knowing who the home team is. I remember having to explain who was at home because people naturally expected the colored jerseys to be the home team. For casual fans to know "the NHL wears white at home" and then halfway through it switches, to relearn "the NHL wears colors at home" is jarring. The Major Juniors do it to sell more jerseys, but in the NHL the white jerseys have never been all that popular, so why bother? It's a minor league thing, it reeks of minor league tomfoolery, it's not something that a league that struggles to be taken truly seriously should do to better their situation.

if you can't tell who the home team is on TV by the huge center ice logo, or crowd fashion/reactions, then I wouldn't know what to say. 

If you're at the arena and don't know who the home team is, I really think you should go get checked out. 

45 minutes ago, BelfourThibault said:

if you can't tell who the home team is on TV by the huge center ice logo, or crowd fashion/reactions, then I wouldn't know what to say. 

If you're at the arena and don't know who the home team is, I really think you should go get checked out. 

look, I know it sounds crazy, but I was dealing with non-hockey fans when Pittsburgh was just getting good, and none of them knew. I'm sure if you go out of market, or to newly-well-performing teams, you'll see the same thing.

Consistency goes well beyond looks, it means a whole lot to the fringe fans to figure out.

An alternate jersey gives a team a chance to experiment. It should be an extension of the brand (a la the Bruins), a place the team shouldn't go full-time (a la the Rangers), a ploy to a niche of fans (a la the Islanders), or a new direction that could be used later (a la the Blue Jackets) to see where the brand should go. It should be used, sparingly, to explore new things that the team otherwise wouldn't be able to do with their full-time look. I think that's a good thing, though 15 out of 42 games might be a bit much, really. An 8 home and 8 road option might be great for a team exploring new things and probably should be explored by the league.

But a half-and-half season is not something a major sports league should take seriously.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived