2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

I think the thing I hate the very most about the Coyotes new set is that they kept the red helmets. black pants with a brick jersey and helmet looks so cheap.

its not like their fans would notice

You must be talking about the 25 persons who showed up thinking they had got free tickets for arena football.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the thing I hate the very most about the Coyotes new set is that they kept the red helmets. black pants with a brick jersey and helmet looks so cheap.

That color scheme is sooooooo not gonna work when they move to Seattle.

If I had my way only teams that wore lace-ups pre-1990s would be allowed to wear them now.

Agreed. Phoenix using them is absolutely ridiculous...

2006-07 (last season pre-Edge): Atlanta (blue), Calgary (retro), Calgary (red), Colorado (alt), Columbus (alt), Edmonton (alt), Los Angeles (alt), Minnesota (alt), Islanders (alt), Rangers (blue and white), Phoenix (red), Toronto (alt)

TOTAL: 13

Home: 4

Road: 1

Alt/Retro: 8

2008-09 (first season post-Edge with alternates): Atlanta (blue), Boston (black and white), Buffalo (alt), Calgary (red and white), Minnesota (red), Islanders (blue, white, alt) Rangers (blue and white), Ottawa (alt), Phoenix (red and white), Pittsburgh (alt), St. Louis (alt), San Jose (alt), Toronto (alt)

TOTAL: 19

Home:7

Road: 5

Alt: 7

2015-16 (present): Anaheim (black and white), Arizona (red and white), Boston (black and white), Buffalo (blue and white), Calgary (red, white, alt), Carolina (red), Colorado (alt), Columbus (alt), Dallas (green and white), Minnesota (red, white, alt), Islanders (blue, white, alt), Rangers (blue, white, alt), Ottawa (alt), Philadelphia (alt), St. Louis (alt), San Jose (teal, white, alt), Tampa Bay (blue, white), Toronto (blue, white, alt), Winnipeg (blue, white)

TOTAL: 38

Home:14

Road: 13

Alt: 11

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

So, what else do you know about the new Avalanche and Islanders alternates?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Arizona: Slight upgrade, but only because the previous uniforms didn't fit with a team from Arizona. They remind me of the Islanders first Edge jerseys which I actually liked, but I don't think the Coyotes used their colors as well as they could've. Like Bucfan said, red helmets and jerseys with black pants is going to look weird.

Colorado: Downgrade. I wasn't even a big fan of the yeti foot logo, but the C doesn't look right there. The C being as round as it is just doesn't fit with the Avs uniforms.

Columbus: Slight downgrade. I don't think the cannon looks bad on the shoulder, but the cap was better.

Edmonton: The orange jersey looks great. The shoulder numbers look out of place, though. I know it's a throwback, but they should've moved the numbers onto the sleeves.

Montreal: I like the laces. Would've preferred the collars on both jerseys to be blue, but that's a pretty small change.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Colorado's changes are embarrassing. Check out their reaction to a fan saying the foot logo was better: https://mobile.twitter.com/Avalanche/status/614543419621416960

Everywhere I've looked online the reaction has been negative. It's not just the "jersey geeks", the average fan knows that the Avs have made their ugly uniforms even worse.

I wish somehow a petition would start and the Avs would correct the REAL problems on their uniforms. I'm trying to think, wasn't their a logo unveiled that was then redacted before it was actually worn on the field?

The Yotes' crest logo can't be the worst so long as the Islanders' logo exists.

Mockba! What's up dude?!

I think I can make that case. The Isles logo is no beauty queen. But it does have Cups on its side. It is also first and foremost a circle which is a helluva shape to start with. And while I don't find the results timeless necessarily myself? That was very much OF the times when it came into being. The vintage Winnipeg logos are in that vein as well. The Isles logo is a cheesy late 60s, early 70s kind of time capsule logo when people were very much into the "lets adjust type to fit into shapes" and "let's make type function AS shapes" mood. Right? So conceptually I think it's lousy but they achieved what they were trying to do pretty well.

The 'Yotes in contrast (and you can look it up... I've said it since day 1)....is maybe the first digital era logo in the four majors where the critique might reasonably be...."That dude just can't draw"....rather than something more nuanced. If you attempt to bring your skills to the 3/4 view, naturalistic, perspective game I think you subject yourself to higher scrutiny automatically. Cause now some Renaissance math enters into the equation.

Conceptually I like the idea of the 'Yotes logo just fine. But the execution is beyond subpar. It's unacceptable. And I even kind of hold them accountable for similar future failings like the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jaguars which I know is going to generate some laughs but I do. Because of how egregiously they've flaunted simple foundational stuff.

The jaws of the coyote are kind of ok...basically close enough on perspective...within the margin of error. But the rest of the head is so F'd it's basically falling off the side of it's skull. This coyote has been run over. It's dead on the highway and it's skull is fractured into a thousand pieces. That's the only way the viewer sees this animal like this.

Like a freight train with stickum

Avalanche jersey conspiracy theory...

The Avs logo is already very similar to the old Rockies logo, now it jade the same shoulder patch as the old Rockies jerseys. My prediction is that the new 3rd or Stadium Series jersey will in fact be the old Rockies jersey, with the Avs logo and colors. Then within a season or two it will become the new home and road jersey.

You heard it here first.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I love the new Avalanche shoulder patch but it doesn't fit on this current jersey design. It would have been much better suited to be on the Avs old alternate jersey with Colorado on the front i.e. NYR style.

I feel like the Avs are trying but just continue to fail.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

I actually quite like the Coyotes logo.

Sure. Lots of people do. Whenever I bring up the perspective issues with this mark nobody ever counters with, "No, Dave it's accurate and here's why you're wrong." They usually just state that they like it. Which is of course fine. My kids like those awful Barbie DVDs that come with the dolls. And they also like Pixar movies. They're easy to please and we don't (yet) get into deep discussions about the craftsmanship that makes those two things very VERY different from one another.

What I don't (and am likely to never) understand is why when an artist makes an error in lining up layers such as what happened with the Wizards this year it's a HUGE deal and we all tsk tsk and respond in rote unison "I could have done better". Whereas when an artist makes perspective errors (which are just as objective and provable) there is zero even noticing it....let alone outrage. I have to assume it's either 1) my crazy pills again or 2) much harder for the layperson to see at a glance. Maybe it's because truthfully, everyone couldn't have necessarily done better? Whatever. It's probably not long for the league anyway and that'll be that.

Like a freight train with stickum

Archived