2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like the current collar or lace up collars for the red wings, I'd like something closer to a crew neck collar for them. That's just what I always think of when I think of a red wings sweater. Don't know how that would look with the NHL shield though

Arizona: I like the addition of black, but it's still an incredibly generic look for a team with such a unique uniform history. I would've liked to see them incorporate some tan into the design (maybe between the two brick sleeve stripes and in the numbers). I like the new A pawprint logo, but I'm disappointed to see the moon eliminated from the identity. For the most part this is a lateral move, and seems like change for the sake of change.

Edmonton: A nearly perfect alternate jersey. I actually really like the numbers on the shoulders. My only issue is the collar. I know that it's meant to be a throwback, but the original looked ok because the collar was completely surrounded by blue. With the new template a bit of white would go a long way. Plain white numbers might've been better (and closer to the WHA look), but it's not that big of an issue. Definitely the best new look from the draft.

Montreal: Laces for a team like the Habs is pretty much a no-brainer. I really hope this means single outlined numbers on the road and block nameplates again. The biggest problem is that they're going with a white collar on the road. A red collar would look much better, as well as be more in line with these old sweaters.

jean_beliveau672x412_DL.jpg

Colorado: Their uniforms are among the worst in the league, and the only change they make is to replace on of the league's best shoulder patches with a generic logo that does not fit in with the rest of their set at all. I have little faith that their new alternate will be anything more than a complete dumpster fire.

Columbus: Much like the Big Foot, the Union cap logo was one of my favourite shoulder crests in the league. It was a nice compliment to the primary without being strong enough to overtake it. I like the cannon, and it's obviously become a big part of the team's identity, but it was designed to be on the front of a jersey, not on the shoulder. I feel like they are starting the transition of it becoming the primary (much like they did with the flag C star). If they really wanted the incorporate the cannon into the home/away looks they should've put it on one shoulder and kept the cap on the other (like the pre-Edge alt).

10028.jpg

New wordmark?

1397188_10153054238958918_97057201158339

that looks more like a style for a tee shirts reebok would give every team

Yeah I'm willing to wager that typeface is used on every team's shirt.

What worries me is the cannon logo being there instead of the (vastly superior) primary logo. I think we're already seeing the dumb dumb stupid dumb transition towards using the cannon logo as the primary.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Don't the New Jersey Devils still own the rights to the Colorado Rockies logos?

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Shot of the jersey from NHL shop where you can see the southwestern design on the hanger effect, and the captain C on the right shoulder.

AF7F5983-9D48-4806-B101-725C49503AA8_zps

Makes the Hurricanes set look like a stroke of design genius...

And the Coyotes will never have the worst logo as long as the Ducks are around.

The Ducks? You mean that monogram that represents a stylized D by way of a distinct duck feature without being obvious about the name? That's one of the better logos in the entire league.

Midway.png

Don't the New Jersey Devils still own the rights to the Colorado Rockies logos?

Probably, but they can't own a symbol that is on the Colorado state flag.

No, but you can own the version that forces it into the shape of a mountain.

I know the Devils have the Rockies' history and records, but I'm not sure about the logo. The league, if I remember correctly, took ownership of all the defunct marks around the time they first began selling the vintage line.

Just let Morgo be Morgo...

How dare I express an opinion about a logo on sports aesthetics forum <_<

And how dare I or anyone rib you for said opinion. My apologies oh great Morgo. Please forgive me.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Just let Morgo be Morgo...

How dare I express an opinion about a logo on sports aesthetics forum <_<

And how dare I or anyone rib you for said opinion. My apologies oh great Morgo. Please forgive me.

I'm sorry Geoff, it's been kind of a rough week... Not at all alleviated by Fridays (for the most part) abysmal unveilings.

If I had my way only teams that wore lace-ups pre-1990s would be allowed to wear them now.

Why?

It's part of the uniform possibilities--so why can't all teams use them.

Not all Original 6 teams used them all the time, not did the teams in the 70's etc.

Let them use them if they like or not if they don't.

Personally I like them, and wish more teams would use them.

Most of the hockey jerseys I've designed over the years have had them.

Although I haven't designed any recently.

As for the Oiler's Orange--it is ugly & garish.

It was in the WHA, and it is now.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Shot of the jersey from NHL shop where you can see the southwestern design on the hanger effect, and the captain C on the right shoulder.

AF7F5983-9D48-4806-B101-725C49503AA8_zps

With this shot the white forearms don't clash so much with the logo. They could have utilised the sand colour more on the real thing, or just replace it with white in the logo to alleviate the issue. Either way they'd have a much better uniform.

And the Coyotes will never have the worst logo as long as the Ducks are around.

Psst, the Ducks got rid of that lousy wordmark last year. Get with the times, man ;)

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Hey, regarding the 'Lanche (I also reject the nickname Avs) is there a broad consensus on these boards? As to what they should do? I'm not here very often so I honestly haven't taken the temperature of the members.

Maybe I'm crazy but I wish they'd just basically go back to what they originally played in (plus the new NHL shield collar on the Edge template).

I think when you look back on the past nearly 20 years? And consider all the factors? That Diques ---> Lanche situation turns out to be a pretty incredible rebrand on a short relocation timeline. Right? Compare it directly with something like OKCs in the NBA in terms of 1) It's a good team not a lousy team when the relo happens 2) the name is vague and atmospheric 3) the compressed timeline and success achieved in the new unis makes the situation ripe for clunkiness but also the incentives to correct things is not there (because they are good and you're moving merch like crazy).

Maybe it's simple nostalgia but to me that's one 90s look that's darned near (or was darned near) perfect.

Everything they've done to it since just seems pointless and slowly worse....death by a thousand tiny cuts.

Like a freight train with stickum

Consensus on the Avalanche is hardly unanimous but the majority of people on these boards think the original jerseys should come back in some capacity. While some may prefer the original, "redder" shade of burgundy and others the current, the uniforms are generally regarded as modern classics that were ruined during the 'Edge' changeover. I've also noticed quite a bit of love for the burgundy alts with the diagonal text, with some going so far as to advocate them being the primary homes. Albeit with the logo replacing the diagonal text.

As for my opinion, I think there was one instance where they improved their uniforms... When the crest increased in size and was tilted slightly counterclockwise for the 1996/97 season. The original shade of burgundy made a huge difference.

VdxaiaT.jpg

Archived