NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else seeing a smiling cat in the Hawks' new secondary logo?

I see a bird giving the bird and a Phoenix ripoff design but I can't find the cat.

Got you covered.

"Sufferin succotash!"

1yus9KF.jpg

Oracle getting prepped for the Finals. Nothing out of the ordinary and once again, Larry O'Brien trophy not part of midcourt design https://instagram.com/p/3cmf-pxG6w/

What a disappointment!!

I seriously don't understand why they stopped having the trophy at center court. Was gorgeous!!Dwight+Howard+Andrew+Bynum+NBA+Finals+GaBonus: I also missed these court logos .1992-season-recap.jpgnba-finals-1991-game-5-chicago-bulls-los

That's easy: Player safety. Same reason the playoffs and conference finals stickers were not used this year.

I still stand by my prediction that some day we will see event-specific custom courts brought in for the Finals. It's the league's signature event, and if they can design floors for All-Star Weekend and the NCAA can use its own floors as part of the branding for its entire tournament, I think it's very possible we see it happen for the Finals too.

I think the Rockets current primary could benefit more than any other team in a roundel look.

Would be very cool to see someone do concepts for an entire NBA roundel set. I'm all for the soccer club look.

Here's the Rockets logo in the Hawks roundel in 3 variations i made.

MiZpETY.pngBxqNKos.png4SHu3iQ.png

Oracle getting prepped for the Finals. Nothing out of the ordinary and once again, Larry O'Brien trophy not part of midcourt design https://instagram.com/p/3cmf-pxG6w/

What a disappointment!!

I seriously don't understand why they stopped having the trophy at center court. Was gorgeous!!Dwight+Howard+Andrew+Bynum+NBA+Finals+GaBonus: I also missed these court logos .1992-season-recap.jpgnba-finals-1991-game-5-chicago-bulls-los

That's easy: Player safety. Same reason the playoffs and conference finals stickers were not used this year.

I still stand by my prediction that some day we will see event-specific custom courts brought in for the Finals. It's the league's signature event, and if they can design floors for All-Star Weekend and the NCAA can use its own floors as part of the branding for its entire tournament, I think it's very possible we see it happen for the Finals too.

So they used these decals for decades and just now figured they should be aware of player of safety despite minimal (if any) instances of actual injuries due to them?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

What a disappointment!!

Agreed. I've been awaiting them as well. I also wouldn't be surprised to see custom "throwback" courts for some HWC games. Obviously, you couldn't get one for EVERY throwback game, but it'd be awesome to have a TRUE throwback from jerseys to the court.

What a disappointment!!

So they used these decals for decades and just now figured they should be aware of player of safety despite minimal (if any) instances of actual injuries due to them?

Yes.

What a disappointment!!

Yes.

Surely there's a link that articulates this rather than a guess, right?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Since you asked, I took the question directly to the league offices. Here was the response I received:

We decided to remove the NBA Playoffs logo from the court for a variety of reasons, including cleaning up the playing surface. Throughout the postseason, the logo will appear on pole pads and seat backs, and on digital LED stanchions and courtside signage. With this added exposure for playoffs branding, we determined the logos on the court were unnecessary.

And in the college ranks, player safety was directly cited as the reason for major reforms on floor decals:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-05-14/center-court-logos-ncaa-basketball-rules-committee

"Sufferin succotash!"

1yus9KF.jpg

Man, that is really a stretch. This is one of the bigger stretches that someone has posted about one logo reminding them of another.

Cheshire_Cat_Tim_Burton.jpg

I think the Rockets current primary could benefit more than any other team in a roundel look.

Would be very cool to see someone do concepts for an entire NBA roundel set. I'm all for the soccer club look.

Here's the Rockets logo in the Hawks roundel in 3 variations i made.MiZpETY.pngBxqNKos.png4SHu3iQ.png

Nice edit but THIS below should be the Rockets roundel ...even matches up with the secondary.

What do you think guys? Looks like an Avengers logo with an R.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2015/04/28/are-rockets-teasing-a-logo-change-during-nba-playoffs/

screen-shot-2015-04-28-at-7-22-05-pm.png

NYCdog.png

BxqNKos.png4SHu3iQ.png
A perfect blend of the modern era with the Olajuwon era. Nice work.

Archived