2015 NFL Offseason

CS85

I thought the story coming out was that Ernie Accorsi set this whole thing up for Pace to be the general manager and for John Fox to be the coach. Something must have gone wrong above the football people.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bahaha. Oh Naperville.

I know nothing of Oak Lawn. We have an Oak Park, an Oak Lawn, and an Oak Forest. Oak Park is the one west of the city with all the Frank Lloyd Wright. The other two I confuse. There's also a Park Forest and a Forest Park. Mount Prospect and Arlington Heights combine their powers to form Prospect Heights. There is no mountain and there are no heights.

What little info I know: Oak Lawn is famous for 95th & Cicero, the intersection equivalent of Russian Roulette. It has a delicious pizza joint by the name of Palermo's, a giant Target, and a hospital that seems to have constant crackheads in orbit (which may just be a Chicago thing, I'm not certain). There is (or was, I heard it closed) an awesome Irish Pub dumped at one of the many ghostly strip malls that was rather nifty, considering it's surroundings. They have a few decent restaurants, but nothing great. It's WWII copypasta neighborhoods surrounded by awful, dangerous traffic and quasi-ghetto.

Yeah. Pretty much. I think there are moderately nice "upper middle class people who go to country clubs" areas of Oak Lawn, too, as an uncle of mine had a nice house there and golfed a lot. Also, Oak Forest is a decent town, nothing special or bad about it. It's the dividing line between the Tinley/Orland southwest suburbs and the areas where people only go after dark to buy drugs and/or go to strip clubs.

As for the Fox thing, I'm not going to jump to any conclusion. Note that Pace also got on a plane back to New Orleans after meeting with the Bears, to talk it over with his wife before flying back the next morning to accept the offer. Maybe Fox went to talk it over with his family. Maybe he wanted to sleep on it. Maybe Fox wants more power after Elway telling him he couldn't have any. I dunno. Also, I'd be happy with Fox, but I don't think he's a home run. He's sure done enough to be considered, but there is also the thing about failings in Carolina and the outcome of the last Super Bowl. Some people are making a big deal about "couldn't win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning and a loaded team," but then again, we know Manning's history and that his teams weren't able to win a Super Bowl other than when facing Lovie Smith. I'm not going to throw a fit if the Bears pass on him or if he decides to go elsewhere, unless it comes out that some organizational ridiculousness was at play.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Bernstein had someone from the Denver Post on who said that the machinations to bring Fox in have been going on for weeks if not months, that Accorsi, Pace, and Fox are all tied together. This pretty much recaps it. It would explain why Bernstein, who has sources pretty high in the organization and says whatever the Bears tell him to say, thought Ted Phillips hit a home run with the press conference about how they "have a sense of urgency with no timetable," which seriously dude that's not how words work, while the rest of the English-speaking press thought the Bears were up to their same old dithering crap by hiring a temporary consultant rather than a football czar and a general manager who wouldn't report to a football czar.

So if, IF, this blows up in the Score's face (which is part of CBS, which has a comprehensive media partnership with the Bears such that Bears-related features are required to run on all CBS radio stations, even the music ones), it means that someone high up threw a wrench in the works. Can't be Accorsi or Pace, who are supposed to be in on this, so that means it would have to be a McCaskey or the honorary McCaskey.

Or he's just going back home to talk to his wife and everything's fine!

I'd like not to go into the conspiracy stuff, but they've earned it.

Edit: sounds like Bears offered Fox the job and he likely wanted 24 hours to consult family/etc.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I heard of the rumor from B&B yesterday, but it sounds too ludicrous to me. Fox was trying to win a Super Bowl until last Sunday night. I really don't think he was game planning while also scheming for a new job in the event he got fired. Or maybe he would have won the Super Bowl, Denver would have kept him, and the Bears would look foolish for trusting Accorsi to tamper for them.

As for the urgency with no timetable, it makes plenty of sense. They want to get a coach brought in, so they would work diligently on it, but they aren't going to set a particular date. That said to me at the time that their target was coaching on one of the playoff teams, and they wouldn't mind waiting until February to bring him in if they had to. Fox does fit that description, but I think everyone assumed it was either Quinn or Bevell.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Bleacher Report says NFL exec confirms Fox is the Bears next head coach. Closest thing we've seen to a confirmation.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Fox to Bears appears to be a lock. Schefter, Glazer, multiple Chicago media guys are confirming negotiations are basically finished.

twitter

Yep, sounds like they pulled it off. What a relief to have a legitimate head coach on the Bears after the last two years. Trestman is going to go down as like Rich Kotite bad.

Fox could end up as the Bears HC

Bears won't hire a guy on his second spin, let alone his third. Shanahan practically begged for an interview and they wouldn't give him one. They didn't want Rex Ryan, either.

So much for that

Yep, sounds like they pulled it off. What a relief to have a legitimate head coach on the Bears after the last two years. Trestman is going to go down as like Rich Kotite bad.

From day one, I wondered why Trestman became the HC for the Bears. Just always had a feeling it would turn into a disaster

So Doug Marrone opts-out of his head coaching job in Buffalo, and becomes the offensive line coach (and "assistant head coach") of the Jacksonville Jaguars...

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/01/doug_marrone_former_jets_head_coaching_candidate_l.html

Nice job, Douggie...you leave a head coaching job with an improved Bills team, to go to the dumpster fire that is the Jaguars to be a :censored: assistant... :wow:

So Doug Marrone opts-out of his head coaching in Buffalo, and becomes the offensive line coach (and "assistant head coach") of the Jacksonville Jaguars...

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/01/doug_marrone_former_jets_head_coaching_candidate_l.html

Nice job, Douggie...you leave a head coaching job with an improved Bills team, to go to the dumpster fire that is the Jaguars to be a :censored: assistant... :wow:

That England games is going to be terrific next season.

On the other hand, Marrone is pocketing $4M for leaving the Bills, right? That's not bad for a demotion, if that's the kind of professional you are.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Bears offseason continues to go strangely well. Ryan seems like a great hire, then Fox, now Fangio. Now all that's left is to dump 3/4 of the roster and aim for a 2016 winning season.

twitter

This was at Franklin Field in 1962. That's not really that long ago - can you imagine an NFL game with that backdrop today?

10917088_1532835776991755_10179108821104

Heck, could you imagine a prime time, nationally televised game taking place there now?

Marrone still gets $4M This year from the Bills, even though he was the one that opted out. And yes, he complained about the Buffalo media. I can't imagine anyone hiring him to be a head coach unless he gets a good assistant resume in the next few years.

Archived