LA Clippers New Logos & Uniforms?

bartodell

OKC's logo is bland and generic but it's hardly as offensive to the eyes as the Clippers' considering the wealth of possibilities present. Not to mention, the Thunder's uniforms marginally compensate for the lack of design. I feel the same way about the Nets as I do about the Thunder. Uninspired and amateur (especially the collars and cuffs on the Nets' unis) but the colours contrast nicely and there's nothing about either team's look that screams "office supply chain".

I think I could warm to the Clippers' logo if only they went out of their way to design component uniforms. Sure, the Thunder look like they're in a junior Montana high school league, but the the Clippers look my cousin stitched his prom banner over a real jersey and printed numbers using some generic Microsoft font and stitched those on too, then passed them out to his Montana state high school team.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Browsing their page on the mothership, it's clear this team has never had a good looking logo. Not even once in their thirty year history. As bad as the new primary is, I can't call it a downgrade because the previous two logos are just as bland, uninspired and poorly designed.

Don't know, this one was pretty good.

San_Diego_Clippers-300x225.jpg

Would have liked to have seen an updated version of this used for the team as others have suggested.

Its better than anything the Los Angeles team has used but its still reeks of mediocrity. The text looks slapped on

Any logo would be better than the Thunder's current mess. Clippers logo is bad but not nearly as horrible as OKC's epic disaster.

The Thunders' identity is better than the Clippers' identity. Both are bad, but OKC is a little better because they at least have a unique color scheme and some originality going on.

LAC kept an ALREADY GENERIC color scheme and added BLACK. That's the kind of thing you would legitimately expect a troll on these boards to do, or maybe a pro team from 1998 to do.

LAC took an arguably decent look - maybe you didn't think it was the greatest, but it wasn't one that a lot of people seemed to complain about - and switched to the mess they are now going to use.

OKC was a rush job that they have obviously only stuck with so long because of the success of the team. Now that OKC may be in somewhat of a rebuilding mode, and they finally cooled off, they may be looking for more of an appropriate identity. They haven't even had time to "breathe," so to speak, because they've been so good. They haven't had time to take a good look at their identity and see how bad it is because they've been so busy winning.

It's kind of like how sometimes you're so busy getting stuff done and being productive, you don't have even time to shave or care much about how you look. Your appearance has taken a backseat to your productivity. That's been the Thunder for the last 5 years. Once you get all your work done and have nothing to do, you take a closer look in the mirror because you have nothing else important going on and actually have time to think about your appearance and whether you want to change anything about it. That will probably be the Thunder now. Give them some time to suck, and then people will start talking crap about them, which will draw more attention to their terrible identity and uniforms.

Whatever the case, the circumstances of their logo introductions must be taken into account. LAC was a downgrade, by all accounts. OKC was a rush job that is overlooked because of the success of the team. I feel like you need to take into account the context of a logo change (i.e., what they changed from, and why) as much as the logo itself, when evaluating a team's identity overall.

Well stated above but I still say the Thunder is the worst logo in the NBA. I don't care if it was rushed or not. I'm sure many of the designers on this board could come up with something much better within the week. In fact, this was leaked at the time the team moved. Not great but at least it has personality and had some thought to it.

Barons.jpg

the thing is that is 12947567238423912712 times better than what the clippers came up with, the current OKC identity is maybe 5-10 times better than what the clippers came up with.

Any logo would be better than the Thunder's current mess. Clippers logo is bad but not nearly as horrible as OKC's epic disaster.

The Thunders' identity is better than the Clippers' identity. Both are bad, but OKC is a little better because they at least have a unique color scheme and some originality going on.

LAC kept an ALREADY GENERIC color scheme and added BLACK. That's the kind of thing you would legitimately expect a troll on these boards to do, or maybe a pro team from 1998 to do.

LAC took an arguably decent look - maybe you didn't think it was the greatest, but it wasn't one that a lot of people seemed to complain about - and switched to the mess they are now going to use.

OKC was a rush job that they have obviously only stuck with so long because of the success of the team. Now that OKC may be in somewhat of a rebuilding mode, and they finally cooled off, they may be looking for more of an appropriate identity. They haven't even had time to "breathe," so to speak, because they've been so good. They haven't had time to take a good look at their identity and see how bad it is because they've been so busy winning.

It's kind of like how sometimes you're so busy getting stuff done and being productive, you don't have even time to shave or care much about how you look. Your appearance has taken a backseat to your productivity. That's been the Thunder for the last 5 years. Once you get all your work done and have nothing to do, you take a closer look in the mirror because you have nothing else important going on and actually have time to think about your appearance and whether you want to change anything about it. That will probably be the Thunder now. Give them some time to suck, and then people will start talking crap about them, which will draw more attention to their terrible identity and uniforms.

Whatever the case, the circumstances of their logo introductions must be taken into account. LAC was a downgrade, by all accounts. OKC was a rush job that is overlooked because of the success of the team. I feel like you need to take into account the context of a logo change (i.e., what they changed from, and why) as much as the logo itself, when evaluating a team's identity overall.

for exactly these reasons

Well put. Still, while the Thunder's overall identity is superior to the Clippers, their primary logo is not. The colour scheme and uniforms are great but their primary logo is an abomination and needs to be eradicated.

And for those wondering why the thunder haven't change their logo yet, it probably has something to do with the nba's ridiculous fee for changing logos

I don't think so, 5 teams this very off-season changed primary logos. I don't think the fee is still enforced, and the Thunder keeping the logo has more to do with Kevin Durant, and Russell Westbrook winning games then a silly fee.

And for those wondering why the thunder haven't change their logo yet, it probably has something to do with the nba's ridiculous fee for changing logos

I don't think so, 5 teams this very off-season changed primary logos. I don't think the fee is still enforced, and the Thunder keeping the logo has more to do with Kevin Durant, and Russell Westbrook winning games then a silly fee.
This^^^
shado_logo.gif

With the increased TV cash flows and team valuations skyrocketing, I'm not sure owners are too worried about the fee anymore for changing the logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

To complete (continue?) the review of Thunder logos . . .

Baltimore Thunder (indoor lacrosse) --

thunder2.gif96bt.jpg

Pretty generic, but still more "thundery" than OKC.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived