LA Clippers New Logos & Uniforms?

bartodell

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Buffalsug was an awful logo but here's why it's not in the discussion for me: it still tried to represent the team name.

What about the Buffaslug says "Sabres"?

Barely resembles a Buffalo let alone a Sabre

The Buffalsug was an awful logo but here's why it's not in the discussion for me: it still tried to represent the team name.

Barely resembles a Buffalo let alone a Sabre

I'm pretty sure he is saying that at least it partially looked like a "Buffalo." BUFFALO Sabres. Get it?

The LA Clippers new identity is much worse in terms of not visually representing any part of "Los Angeles Clippers," save for the initials.

One thing I don't like about the Clippers new look is that it doesn't like it was designed to be timeless. Of course, not every logo can last forever, but the great ones do, and it feels like that should be the guiding principle when introducing a new look. Specifically, designers should ask whether or not they expect their logo to last 50 years. If not, why bother?

Because it is impossible to predict whether a logo created today is going to last 50 years, let alone 10 years. If you take any logo that has lasted that long, and went back in time and asked the designer, at the time they designed it, whether it would still be around 50 years into the future, I don't think they'd be able to answer you. They'd probably just be like, "How should I know? I just think it's a good logo. If they're still using it 50 years from now, then great." Fifty years is a longass time.

Another, probably more important, thing I should mention about that. In your heart of hearts, you do NOT want a league where most teams' logos last 50 years or longer. No one on this board does. If most teams held on to their logos for that long, we would have a lot less to discuss, speculate, and look forward to here.

My favorite Thor/Thunder logo is the one the Berlin Thunder of NFLE never used:

artc.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I have a Buffaslug jersey. I got it for $15 CAD following a deal posted from this website. I love it.

One thing I don't like about the Clippers new look is that it doesn't like it was designed to be timeless. Of course, not every logo can last forever, but the great ones do, and it feels like that should be the guiding principle when introducing a new look. Specifically, designers should ask whether or not they expect their logo to last 50 years. If not, why bother?

I don't disagree, but could it be that the teams themselves are specifically looking for looks that take advantage of current trends and are designed to "expire" in 5-10 years so they can re-do it and get a fresh influx of sales?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There is one hidden sword inside the logo...

Buffaslug_zpsoif2hxpe.jpg

:upside:

I have a Buffaslug jersey. I got it for $15 CAD following a deal posted from this website. I love it.

I don't disagree, but could it be that the teams themselves are specifically looking for looks that take advantage of current trends and are designed to "expire" in 5-10 years so they can re-do it and get a fresh influx of sales?

There's that too. I'm sure the teal Pistons weren't meant to be forever. And college football is essentially a collection of disposable "let's see what we can get away with this time" design.

On the other hand, I think winning is more valuable than a new look. I couldn't find a more recent article, but no. 1 best-selling baseball hats shouldn't really be a surprise. From earlier this year, best selling NBA jerseys aren't really surprising either -- a mix of the top players and the Lakers. And if you look further down the list, you'll see that the best-selling NBA jerseys change quite a bit, but are more associated with winning than new designs. You don't see the Christmas Bucks listed. And the Warriors -- who had a major rebrand -- don't show up until Stephen Curry gets good.

I don't really know my argument, except that merchandise sells best when associated with winners. Or is handsome. I don't think the new Clippers look checks either box, so I don't get the point.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm pretty sure he is saying that at least it partially looked like a "Buffalo." BUFFALO Sabres. Get it?

The logo from the red and black days looked like a Buffalo. The buffaslug looked like... well, a slug.

There is one hidden sword inside the logo...

Buffaslug_zpsoif2hxpe.jpg

:upside:

That's one sorry looking Sabre.

Browsing their page on the mothership, it's clear this team has never had a good looking logo. Not even once in their thirty year history. As bad as the new primary is, I can't call it a downgrade because the previous two logos are just as bland, uninspired and poorly designed.

Hasn't Chicago Bulls stuff always sold well, even post-Jordan?

That's my argument -- associated with winners or handsome. The Bulls are both.

Browsing their page on the mothership, it's clear this team has never had a good looking logo. Not even once in their thirty year history. As bad as the new primary is, I can't call it a downgrade because the previous two logos are just as bland, uninspired and poorly designed.

I disagree with this. Their prior logo was a Lakers rip-off, but it was charming in its own way. Their uniforms generally looked fantastic, especially since the early 2000s (though I wasn't a huge fan of the smaller script).

In the context of the NBA, the Clippers logo was on par with the Lakers, the Knicks and, say, the Spurs. None of this is especially amazing, but for a league that requires team name, city name and a basketball, they all did the trick.

Come to think of it, the Lakers might actually have the stupidest name and logo of any marquee franchise in sports.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Wow, and here I thought I came up with an original idea to use Thor for the Thunder. I guess he is the only real visual representation of it without using lightning. Also, I never knew so many minor league teams used the name Thunder. It *is* a minor league sounding name.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Don't know, this one was pretty good.

San_Diego_Clippers-300x225.jpg

Would have liked to have seen an updated version of this used for the team as others have suggested.

That logo absolutely screams 1970s to me. Maybe an update of some kind could work, though.

The point stands that they had tons of options whether it be simple/undetailed or grandiose.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Wow, and here I thought I came up with an original idea to use Thor for the Thunder. I guess he is the only real visual representation of it without using lightning. Also, I never knew so many minor league teams used the name Thunder. It *is* a minor league sounding name.

I would argue Zeus is a pretty good representation of lightning/thunder as well.

Has any team tried using him in a logo?

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived