LA Clippers New Logos & Uniforms?

bartodell

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's an overreaction to call this the worst brand in the league. The Thunder at least have solid uniforms to help out their bad logo. There's not one of the new Clippers uniforms that I like. That's gotta be pretty tough to do considering all of them have different designs. OKC also has the excuse that you can't exactly draw thunder. How hard is it to come up with a logo with an actual ship in it?

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I've been a Clipper fan my entire life. Grew up watching the Darius Miles Quintin Richardson teams. I've heard all the jokes about them being the little brother, JV team etc...well congratulations Ballmer, they now look like it

Good luck attracting free agents with this crap.....

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

i'm sad to say they start to grow on me. The wordmark with the horizon lines is ok. The home jersey is nice, the leaked blue alternate is nice. I just hate the LAC in ball logo. Just throw away the LAC and all jerseys that have it (red, black) and it's ok.

Just steal the MAriners logo and slap it in place of the LAC Crap

http://dysk.onet.pl/api/manager/?thumbnail&link=BbtM4&id=50c54954289d3f21606a30b3a3148a45&size=F

sIG.gif

medal5b.gif

www.dap-studio.pl

There's 2 things I don't get: 1) The black word mark on the white jersey. Is it needed in order to be able to have a black alt? 2) Did they even make any changes to the jersey itself because it looks exactly the same to me. Any major changes to the logo should be accompanied by major changes to the jersey. By the leaks/concepts, the Raptors look to be doing the same thing.

The logo is really bad. If I didn't know it was the Clippers, I would think CLA before LAC.

How they came up with the new logo? http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/44318c7366/blake-griffin-and-steve-ballmer-unveil-the-new-clippers-logo

lol @ Ballmer's "people hate change" comment.

this isn't like people resisting electric cars or email. it's sports design. there's no principle or societal good to fight for here. your team's new look is ugly. sports media, the design community, and most importantly, your fans, think the change is ugly. swallow your pride and change it back (or do something better) as soon as possible.

hahaha what a tone-deaf comment by Ballmer.

Also his "If you love the Clippers, you'll love the new logo". That's so far from the truth. Quit forcing bad :censored: on people. It's like he didn't learn one thing from Microsoft Vista.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The most offensive aspect of this rebrand is the organisation's insistence to simply slap the new logo over the old jerseys. You get absolutely no sense of any cohesion here. They claim this took them to months? Okay. Well, at their rate, if they begin work on a new look now, maybe they will be able to cook up something passable for a professional sports organisation in time for the 2044/2045 season.

It is really difficult to fathom how something this awful could exist on this level in this day and age.

The whole thing just reeks of "My friend's son is a first-year design student at community college, why not just throw $100 at him to do our rebrand instead of actually hiring a design firm?"

I've seen this thing for two whole days now, and I will say my opinion has not changed at all. The blocky "C-groping-LA" doesn't fit at all with the curving Mid-2000s-EA-Sports lines, the bold, horribly-inconsistently-beveled corporate "CLIPPERS" wordmark, or the pretty decent-looking jersey template that it will all be stapled onto. The jerseys look awful now, as any regard for composition or balance has been thrown out the window. (Again, I can't see how any design agency worth their salt would come up with jerseys that look so horribly unbalanced with single-digit numbers. It just boggles my mind. The Clippers' jerseys went from being among the best in the NBA to the absolute worst, in my mind. Even worse than the Thunder vertical-wordmark navy blue alts.) The C-groping-LA inside a basketball looks like it wants to go retro, but why put that with modern numbers on a modern jersey template with a wordmark that hearkens back to 2003?

And why even add black? The Clips are the only team in the west to use RWB as a color palette, and they ruined that by arbitrarily adding black. Now they have black alts so they can be "special" like the Blazers, Suns, Kings, Lakers, Spurs and Wolves. Splendid.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this change and I am stumped at every turn. At least Appalachian State could use misguided love for a vintage symbol when they switched to Cartoon Yosef; that's the only other rebrand in the past three years I can think of that even comes close to the utter debacle that is the Clippers rebrand. Ballmer believes the hate for the logos will subside as people get "used to them", but I see this turning into a bigger mess as the team actually takes the court. Hopefully Doc Rivers will pull a Mike Keenan and refuse to take his players onto the floor wearing such slop.

I've been a Clipper fan my entire life. Grew up watching the Darius Miles Quintin Richardson teams. I've heard all the jokes about them being the little brother, JV team etc...well congratulations Ballmer, they now look like it

Reasons players sign with teams in free agency:

1. Money

2. Money

3. Chance to win

4. City

5. Franchise stability

6. Coach/teammates

837: Uniforms

(Reasons 3-6 may depend on the player.)

As important as uniforms are to us, they don't matter to 98 percent of the population.

These uniforms might suck they do but they won't deter free agents.

1. Money

2. Money

3. Chance to win

4. City

5. Franchise stability

6. Coach/teammates

As important as uniforms are to us, they don't matter to 98 percent of the population.

That's why college teams only have one uni combo right?? Cause they don't matter? Sure money helps but it your gonna look like crap and laughed at by everyone in the league no amount of money will help get players.

1. Money

2. Money

3. Chance to win

4. City

5. Franchise stability

6. Coach/teammates

That's why college teams only have one uni combo right?? Cause they don't matter? Sure money helps but it your gonna look like crap and laughed at by everyone in the league no amount of money will help get players.
Money is No. 1. Thinking anything else is naive.

1. Money

2. Money

3. Chance to win

4. City

5. Franchise stability

6. Coach/teammates

Chance to win is #1 above all else....

lol @ Ballmer's "people hate change" comment.

this isn't like people resisting electric cars or email. it's sports design. there's no principle or societal good to fight for here. your team's new look is ugly. sports media, the design community, and most importantly, your fans, think the change is ugly. swallow your pride and change it back (or do something better) as soon as possible.

Funny that the majority in Milwaukee and Philly seem to be embracing the changes their teams made. I don't see much hating for either of those re-brands. The question now becomes will Ballmer man up and admit he has made a horrible mistake or just continue to come up with the lamest excuses imaginable why the majority despise his team's re-brand. You know it has to be bad when even the national media is taking shots at it.

1. Money

2. Money

3. Chance to win

4. City

5. Franchise stability

6. Coach/teammates

Chance to win is #1 above all else....

Money and chance to win are both huge and regardless of which is #1 BJ's point stands that these are key along with things like city/weather (T-Wolves fans know this), teammates, coaches, chance to play, etc. These uniforms are not going to keep free agents away. I guess I cannot say there's never been a player who did not let it factor in in some small way. But Chris Paul did not see these and say "well, I'm outta here."

Regarding college, it's different because money's not a factor (insert joke here). You are also attracting 18-year-olds who may not get the same charge out of "Durham, NC" or "Lexington, KY" as they do "NYC" and "LA." They are into their 20s when they finally get to be a free agent. Team uniforms at that point probably no longer market to them like they could when they are in high school.

And I still am not convinced they do much in college anyway. The point of that garbage is that the company with the apparel deal wants to get us noticing their apparel and get us talking about them. The swoosh/stripes/UA are ever-present and it apparently impacts how we purchase athletic gear.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1. Money

2. Money

3. Chance to win

4. City

5. Franchise stability

6. Coach/teammates

This isn't college recruiting. Even in college, uniforms are still a tiny piece of the puzzle for recruits.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The new LA monogram looks like an overhead shot of a road entering a tunnel.

clipsT.png

Curved-Hurricane-Ridge-road-leads-into-t

Haha I saw that too

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but I was just looking on Yahoo Sports and seen a link to "10 hidden images in sports logos" and the first one on the list is the new Clippers logo. Click here to go to page

d8385550-160b-11e5-8a10-21e51128a0ea_cli

YEAH.... I don't see it...

One time when I was railing against how much I hate the Vancouver Canucks' stick-in-rink, I gave the example of the Sacramento Kings using a basketball court as a logo and implying some vague S and K inside the court. This was a few years ago. The Clippers basically stole my bit.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived