LA Clippers New Logos & Uniforms?

bartodell

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

358dkwx.jpg

So... You have all sans serif and block based logos throughout, but then your numbers are serifed and angular. Then you have a black wordmark, and no black anywhere else on the jersey (besides the number outline). Did nobody review this design? I mean seriously, how freaking bad are your design sensibilities to think that this looks good?

Also, the Clippers new slogan should be: "Giving LA a biiiiiiiiig hug."

...and adding to the poopiness of this new set is the awful use of the replica jersey.

I HATE how replica jerseys look and this set just insulted the awfulness of the replica design. Didn't know that was possible.

Make it stop! Make it stop! How could a professional sports club be this aesthetically stupid in this day and age.

I am a huge Clipper fan and agree with you 100%. I wish they would have taken some fan input. It's a bitter pill to swallow having to watch my guys play in those for the unforeseen future.

Oklahoma City gets a slight pass from me because for as dumb as their logo is, their actual uniforms look nice.

There really aren't any redeeming qualities of this new Clippers set that I can see, outside of the sheer ballsiness of it. But ballsy isn't a virtue in and itself.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Oklahoma City gets a slight pass from me because for as dumb as their logo is, their actual uniforms look nice.

There really aren't any redeeming qualities of this new Clippers set that I can see, outside of the sheer ballsiness of it. But ballsy isn't a virtue in and itself.

I agree with this. The Thunder have good jerseys, and they have an inanimate name. Oh, and we should take into consideration that those logos were thrown together really quickly, though that doesn't explain why they haven't been changed yet. The Clippers had ship iconography to use if they wanted, and also LA, but they chose against it. They had a lot of time to design this set. It's pure garbage.

And I agree, I understand what they were going for. LA has the Lakers, a cornerstone franchise with 16 championships and pretty good jerseys (based off their former iconic jerseys). They have the history, the fan support and the support of Hollywood stars. The Clippers have none of that, other than maybe fan support. So, instead of copying the Lakers' awful logo like before, they decided to go with the exact opposite. Avant garde jerseys and logos, almost being purposefully bad just to be different. It's a strategy, alright. But it doesn't work out.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Agree.

Yes, good logos > bad logos, but in the NBA, I feel that the logo is secondary to the uniforms anyway. OKC's uniform, while not among the league's elite, is not a clown suit. They probably should have named themselves "Oklahoma" for the sake of the road uniform (or just gone with "Thunder" on both). These Clippers uniforms are terrible. If their logo is slightly better (pretty much by default), that does not make up for the uniform, the visual anyone who watches the games will see the most.

The red uniform is just so awful. There is nothing nice about this uniform. The logo being on the right chest (instead of left) even strikes me as wrong.

The white uniform, while not terrible is certainly a downgrade. It has three issues that really bug me. First, the two EA Sports underlines looks kinda amateurish to me. Second the wordmark is too big. Third, and most importantly, is the black. While a blue would p*p, the lack of p*p of the black ironically makes it stick out like a sore thumb. I could live with this entire uniform if the wordmark was blue. I know sometimes adding black to a scheme works for most people here (Flames, Lions, etc.) but just plopping it on the wordmark while leaving the rest r/w/b does not tie anything together. It just distracts.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm trying to think of a "rebrand" more soulless than this one, but I honestly can't. This is just...dry. It's that special kind of simple where it's too basic to call it "good" or "bad." It's just there.

This legitimately looks like something from a create-a-team mode in a video game, or a movie without an official licence. Every other NBA team's identity, regardless of its' quality, at least looks "real," for lack of a better term. This one doesn't.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

The rebrand is brutal and I've already voiced that, but I'll give LAC credit for this: their #GearUpLA campaign is brilliant - going to schools, airports, restaurants, etc and decking everything out with new gear is a really cool idea. People love free stuff and that small goodwill can go a long way towards winning people over. That said, it appears that they put 120% more energy into the campaign then the actual rebrand.

I'm trying to think of a "rebrand" more soulless than this one, but I honestly can't. This is just...dry. It's that special kind of simple where it's too basic to call it "good" or "bad." It's just there.

This legitimately looks like something from a create-a-team mode in a video game, or a movie without an official licence. Every other NBA team's identity, regardless of its' quality, at least looks "real," for lack of a better term. This one doesn't.

I would agree if the red jersey was just like the white one. But the red jersey is truly "bad".

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

There's such interesting imagery they could have used for their identity and they managed to stray away from all of it. Ships, anchors, ropes, sails, ship wheels, etc. all would make for some distinctive branding. Why not take advantage of your unique team name?

This just doesn't look like a finished product. Those side panels don't make any sense and look like an after thought. There's the prominent black wordmark on the home set with no black elsewhere on the home set, and there isn't any black visible at all on the away set. The black just looks so harsh and out of place. The logo/number look they tried to pull off just doesn't work for me. I could go on, but what were they thinking?

If I was a Clippers fan, I'd consider jumping ship. ;)

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I say OKC's entire look is better, but only slightly.

Their logo sucks as well, but at least it isn't a cheap rip off of a video game company...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Archived