LA Clippers New Logos & Uniforms?

bartodell

So it seems that the Clippers have NO ONE with balls enough to say to Ballmer, "That sucks! We spent how much money on something that looks like a rip off of EA Sports basketball?"

Terrible!!!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rebrand is brutal and I've already voiced that, but I'll give LAC credit for this: their #GearUpLA campaign is brilliant - going to schools, airports, restaurants, etc and decking everything out with new gear is a really cool idea. People love free stuff and that small goodwill can go a long way towards winning people over. That said, it appears that they put 120% more energy into the campaign then the actual rebrand.

They half to give it away, no one is gonna spend money to auctaly but this crap.

I'm trying to think of a "rebrand" more soulless than this one, but I honestly can't. This is just...dry. It's that special kind of simple where it's too basic to call it "good" or "bad." It's just there.

This legitimately looks like something from a create-a-team mode in a video game, or a movie without an official licence. Every other NBA team's identity, regardless of its' quality, at least looks "real," for lack of a better term. This one doesn't.

I would agree if the red jersey was just like the white one. But the red jersey is truly "bad".
Hold on, you mean the red one isn't an alternate? For some reason I just assumed it was because of the design.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I'm trying to think of a "rebrand" more soulless than this one, but I honestly can't. This is just...dry. It's that special kind of simple where it's too basic to call it "good" or "bad." It's just there.

This legitimately looks like something from a create-a-team mode in a video game, or a movie without an official licence. Every other NBA team's identity, regardless of its' quality, at least looks "real," for lack of a better term. This one doesn't.

I would agree if the red jersey was just like the white one. But the red jersey is truly "bad".
Hold on, you mean the red one isn't an alternate? For some reason I just assumed it was because of the design.

Yeah that was my understanding -- the red would be the standard away set and there is supposed to be a black alternate coming.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Hmmm. Uni Watch (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13105683/dissecting-los-angeles-clippers-new-uniforms) calls it an alternate and also references a black alt. Maybe there is still a blue road primary to come? Or maybe the red is the primary and calling the red an alt is not correct?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yeah that was my understanding -- the red would be the standard away set and there is supposed to be a black alternate coming.

Yea at a later date, they will release this....

Screen-shot-2015-06-17-at-11.58.10-AM.pn

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

Yea at a later date, they will release this....

Screen-shot-2015-06-17-at-11.58.10-AM.pn

Oh wow. That's ridiculous. Why in the world would you trot out a set with three totally different jersey designs? I really hope that this doesn't turn out to be the case.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Arash MarkaziVerified account ‏@ArashMarkazi

I just talked to Steve Ballmer. He said it took about two months to create the new Clippers logo. Started in November, completed in January.

That's the time it takes to install all the Windows updates on a new PC. So basically they bought a new set of PC's for the "design team" (term used liberally) and they got around to work with it by mid-January. Or the Funny or Die video is accurate and this is all the brain child of brown noser Blake Griffin.

Arash MarkaziVerified account ‏@ArashMarkazi

I just talked to Steve Ballmer. He said it took about two months to create the new Clippers logo. Started in November, completed in January.

Looks like someone milked the job for almost 2 months and came up with this in the 2 hours leading up to the presentation meeting.

Or the boss comes up with an awful idea and nobody has the guts to tell him it sucks.

CHvzxZbVAAEgse1.png

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Remember when some guy said in a topic of the worst changes in the sports that thee would be an upcoming rebrand that we'd all hate? I wonder if he was talking about this.

These are atrocious.

spacer.png

The rebrand is brutal and I've already voiced that, but I'll give LAC credit for this: their #GearUpLA campaign is brilliant - going to schools, airports, restaurants, etc and decking everything out with new gear is a really cool idea. People love free stuff and that small goodwill can go a long way towards winning people over. That said, it appears that they put 120% more energy into the campaign then the actual rebrand.

I actually agree with this. Between the coordinated giveaways around the city, the social-media stream, even the custom cupcakes, the rollout might be the most impressive I've seen from a sports team. Unfortunately, it's all wasted on a decidedly mediocre new look.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived