NFL Anti-Thread: Sponsored by FanKings

Cosmic

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhh, what's been bad about the NFL this season in terms of the on the field aspect? I know this doesn't fit the anti-thread, but unwatchable? Are we watching the same thing?

I'm about at my limit. It's been like this for a couple of years -- play happens, you see the result, and then you look for the flag. NFL referees slow down the game completely, make inscrutable calls, and as a fan, there's just no consistency.

Close games seem to come down to who's getting the better calls; not who's better. And when you don't have close games, you've got blowouts by one of the four teams that happen to have a good quarterback. The rest are competing for scraps.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This season, there's three or four good teams and then a whole pile of garbage.

There have been close and "exciting" games and some intriguing results, but that results from a lot of bad teams flip-flopping over each other. Outside of a few examples, it's been a low quality season of NFL football.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Uhh, what's been bad about the NFL this season in terms of the on the field aspect? I know this doesn't fit the anti-thread, but unwatchable? Are we watching the same thing?

I'm about at my limit. It's been like this for a couple of years -- play happens, you see the result, and then you look for the flag. NFL referees slow down the game completely, make inscrutable calls, and as a fan, there's just no consistency.

Close games seem to come down to who's getting the better calls; not who's better. And when you don't have close games, you've got blowouts by one of the four teams that happen to have a good quarterback. The rest are competing for scraps.

They need to re-evaluate what they call, and what the punishment is. Seems like the punishment far outweighs the crime in most cases. You graze a facemask and it's 15 yards? You've either handed the offense a 1st down and a lot of yards, or completely killed a possession for your team.

Holding could be called on every play. Sure, many times big gains were only possible due to the hold. But when it's inconsequential, maybe let it slide a few times?

Illegal procedure - in some cases, the motion and formation rules were designed decades ago for a different game. If a receiver is "covered", does it matter? Should that negate a touchdown? Make it more simple - the middle 5 guys aren't eligible. A guy isn't totally set? Or illegal motion? I get the reason for the rules, but either blow the play dead right away so touchdowns aren't taken off the board (that pisses people off the most) or change the rule and allow more motion.

I'm not sure what to do about PI other than to have it reviewed - quickly.

It IS becoming unwatchable because nothing you're watching matters because save for a couple legit great teams, it's all about luck and referees and drawing flags.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So what's changed? It does feel like having an elite QB is more important now than it used to be...and that does get you a couple of 15-yard roughing calls a season.

I agree that on-field crime and punishment needs to be evaluated, starting with pass interference. Those calls can change the game far too much. Off the top of my head, I like the 15-yard rule in college. Lofting the ball 50 yards down the field and getting a pass interference call leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As the league has become more about throwing, those calls have become too important.

As for:

It IS becoming unwatchable because nothing you're watching matters because save for a couple legit great teams, it's all about luck and referees and drawing flags.

I feel like it's been that way my whole life (dating back to the 1980s). I've always wondered "flag?" after a big play. Penalties have always been a buzzkill in football.

The odd balance of great and awful (particularly in the AFC this year) has been strange but I think it may be more of an aberration. I don't really feel much has changed in watchability. The only thing I really bemoan is the importance of having a top-5/10 QB. Maybe that's the result of making things so difficult on defenses.

EDIT: I just read (because I don't pay that much attention) that 5 of the eight divisions are pretty much done. And two of the remaining three are competitive due to a lack of decent teams. That leaves the NFC North (which we thought was over three weeks ago). That does have us kinda waiting for the playoffs...but I don't think that'll be an ongoing issue.

And I am not defending the shield; my interest has gone from hard-core to "when the Vikings are good." over the past 15 or so years for several reasons. I just don't know if this year is special or if it was that much better in previous decades.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

DG nailed it. Receptions have turned into interpretive dance numbers where style points count and one man sees something different than the other.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

David Roth ✔ @david_j_roth

"I want anchovies, but it seems effeminate."

/Rex Ryan smashes through the wall. "Man up! Satisfy your 'chove cravings with MANCHOVIES."

:lol: Our board would be better with a Rex Ryan gimmick account.

I said it three or four years ago. You are our man. We need an "Ask Rex" thread.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

REPORTER: Rex, what are your prospects for Mario Williams in the next contest? Is he actually ill or is there a larger problem you're not telling us?

REX: *sloppily sucks the foot of a terrified woman with his limp penis awkwardly bouncing as it hangs sadly out of his jeans*

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So what's changed? It does feel like having an elite QB is more important now than it used to be...and that does get you a couple of 15-yard roughing calls a season.

I agree that on-field crime and punishment needs to be evaluated, starting with pass interference. Those calls can change the game far too much. Off the top of my head, I like the 15-yard rule in college. Lofting the ball 50 yards down the field and getting a pass interference call leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As the league has become more about throwing, those calls have become too important.

As for:

I feel like it's been that way my whole life (dating back to the 1980s). I've always wondered "flag?" after a big play. Penalties have always been a buzzkill in football.

The odd balance of great and awful (particularly in the AFC this year) has been strange but I think it may be more of an aberration. I don't really feel much has changed in watchability. The only thing I really bemoan is the importance of having a top-5/10 QB. Maybe that's the result of making things so difficult on defenses.

EDIT: I just read (because I don't pay that much attention) that 5 of the eight divisions are pretty much done. And two of the remaining three are competitive due to a lack of decent teams. That leaves the NFC North (which we thought was over three weeks ago). That does have us kinda waiting for the playoffs...but I don't think that'll be an ongoing issue.

And I am not defending the shield; my interest has gone from hard-core to "when the Vikings are good." over the past 15 or so years for several reasons. I just don't know if this year is special or if it was that much better in previous decades.

I've always questioned everything that happens in football and my excitement only comes after a play has been officially awarded, but recently it feels like there's more penalties than ever. I also think replay, while completely necessary, has changed the way officials officiate. Every scoring play is reviewed and every turnover is reviewed so if a ref is uncertain he airs on the side of caution and calls it a touchdown because he knows he'll get a free review out of it. That never allows me the viewer to trust that anything will stand up.

I also think there's an over-reliance on replay. Last night the Seahawks and Cardinals ran two plays in the span of about 5 real time minutes because they kept reviewing the spot. It was ridiculous.

I really like football, but unless things get better I'm kind of waiting until my team either wins the Super Bowl or moves to stop watching.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Now that's a football move.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

God, between this tightass and Perds fans in general, Nashville is turning into St. Louis Junior. But why did the Charlotte Observer print the letter in its entirety without adding "u mad" at the end?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

We don't need to look for them. You're right. It's more that, on a weekly basis, the NFL makes it plain for anyone who wants to see that it is a terrible enterprise.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Bills have never won, but I did get to be in a city going to and then winning a Super Bowl, which was a whole lot of fun.

I've closed the door on baseball and college football, and bet I could do the same on the pro game.

The NFL is a tedious, insulting experience plus people are getting brain damage playing the game. It's easier than ever to leave it behind.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

My football fandom is pretty much shot. The NFL is absolute bull :censored:, and the Pats have won enough to have satisfied me as a fan, so I really can't be bothered to watch football anymore. Even college football, which I've always preferred to the NFL, barely moves the needle for me nowadays.

Rugby has pretty much taken the place of football for me in terms of attention. It has everything I enjoy about football (the excitement and physicality), without the things I hate (the painfully slow pace of the games).

Archived