NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I don't think that's going to happen, though. Broward County is supposed to be commissioning a study on whether the county would be better off without a heavily subsidized hockey team, which sounds as ominous as it does obvious, but all the report (from our friends at Namtteb Sports Consultants: you won't not like the way Namtteb thinks!) will say is that the Panthers have to stay or else Sawgrass Mills will be abandoned and taken over by alligators. Then there will be some dog-and-pony show where old guys complain about taxes, some people sign a petition that gets thrown out because under "Do Not Write In This Space" someone wrote "okay," and the government-business combine will keep on doing whatever it wanted to do in the first place. The Panthers' owners want the master lease and a fun toy to play with, the league wants a presence in South Florida where there are lots of hockey fans if not necessarily Panthers fans, and Broward County wants an anchor tenant at their arena if not necessarily at whatever onerous price Michael Yormark, who's long gone, was asking for.

I've never thought the Panthers were really in such dire straits as their horrible attendance and television ratings would have you believe. Somehow, they're built to keep puttering along through those things in ways the Thrashers weren't and Coyotes aren't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

http://ktar.com/22/1850612/New-downtown-Phoenix-arena-could-bring-end-to-Coyotes-bumpy-road

The last few paragraphs are the sort of pipe dreams Phoenix was built on.

- Hey let's build an arena with a movable field and a retractable roof so an arena football team can play outdoor games on real grass.

- what about the existing arena?

- An arena is really just a big room with a bunch of chairs in it. Let's take those out and make it an urban mall with an urban park where people can hang out.

Phoenix is a silly place.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Lieb and Nowakowski both said the type of creative financial thinking driving the Milwaukee plan would be useful for a potential downtown Phoenix arena.

Bad use of "creative." Worse use of "useful."

The city is currently trying to get out from under the Sheraton by selling it. Nowakowski said that is the first step in building up that sports fund, though he admits there would still have to be more creative thinking and cooperation from big business owners in the downtown Phoenix area. Nowakowski suggested those business owners could contribute money to finance a new building.

He calls that mentality the "Team Phoenix" approach.

That approach fosters all kinds of creative ideas for Nowakowski, some of which aren't just outside the box; they're outside the building.

He suggested a field similar to that of the Cardinals, which has a system to move outside of University of Phoenix Stadium and soak up the sun when it's not in use.

"If we have the Rattlers, why can't we have a retractable field that comes out if its turf and then comes into, like, a bandstand on the outside and you can have a free concert prior to the games?" Nowakowski asked.

In the event that this new arena idea comes to fruition, a 23-year-old building that took upwards of $100 million to build would sit unused in the middle of downtown. Nowakowski also has plans for repurposing that.

"If you take out all the chairs and the suites, it's really just a big shell," he said. "So you can have a three-story urban mall concept where on the first floor can actually be an urban park where people can come enjoy an urban park with free concerts and a food court and all the different amenities that an urban park provides and at the same time, an urban mall."

This is all one guy. Just one guy. Strap in for this one; we're going to find out this was part of a meth binge culminating in the revelation that a bank is just a big building with chairs in it.

And man, it had to be the guy with the Polish name suggesting arena football on grass, didn't it. Of course it did.

• Like 1

"Our purpose, in initiating the expansion process in the manner we did, was not only to explore the possibility of admitting new members to the NHL but also, at the outset, to set realistic guideposts to distinguish between bona fide expressions of interest (i.e., those which have at least substantial ownership capabilities and an arena or the realistic possibility of an arena) from those indications of potential interest which were, at best, merely hopes or aspirations. Apparently, only Mr. Foley and Quebecor have the confidence in their ability to secure an arena and suitable ownership capability to move forward with this process.

Thread for when Gary Bettman gets a little salty.

Other leagues hire public relations agencies to write press releases like these. The NHL just has Gary Bettman write whatever comes to mind immediately after ragequitting expansion.

I hope it happens. I really do. Just to see the NHL sheepishly backtrack on the whole "expansion" thing with two seemingly viable applications on the table. It'll really expose the whole "anyone but Quebec" mindset.

Even working from a mindset that anything the NHL does is wrong, dropping expansion now would make sense. If three cities applied, it would be good - two expansion teams and a new home for the Coyotes. But everybody knows that the Coyotes are on borrowed time in Glendale, and the NHL needs to keep a market for them (likely Vegas). I don't think they want to expand to 31 teams, so we'll just end up with the coming disaster in Las Vegas and wait for the Panthers to eventually fold up tents and move to QC.

Maybe that would not be a problem. Both the NBA and NHL have had significant stretches with odd numbers. And 15 / 16 in the conferences beats 14 / 16.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The city is currently trying to get out from under the Sheraton by selling it. Nowakowski said that is the first step in building up that sports fund, though he admits there would still have to be more creative thinking and cooperation from big business owners in the downtown Phoenix area. Nowakowski suggested those business owners could contribute money to finance a new building.

He calls that mentality the "Team Phoenix" approach.

That approach fosters all kinds of creative ideas for Nowakowski, some of which aren't just outside the box; they're outside the building.

He suggested a field similar to that of the Cardinals, which has a system to move outside of University of Phoenix Stadium and soak up the sun when it's not in use.

"If we have the Rattlers, why can't we have a retractable field that comes out if its turf and then comes into, like, a bandstand on the outside and you can have a free concert prior to the games?" Nowakowski asked.

In the event that this new arena idea comes to fruition, a 23-year-old building that took upwards of $100 million to build would sit unused in the middle of downtown. Nowakowski also has plans for repurposing that.

"If you take out all the chairs and the suites, it's really just a big shell," he said. "So you can have a three-story urban mall concept where on the first floor can actually be an urban park where people can come enjoy an urban park with free concerts and a food court and all the different amenities that an urban park provides and at the same time, an urban mall."

This is all one guy. Just one guy. Strap in for this one; we're going to find out this was part of a meth binge culminating in the revelation that a bank is just a big building with chairs in it.

And man, it had to be the guy with the Polish name suggesting arena football on grass, didn't it. Of course it did.

I had to go up and click McCarthy's link because I honestly thought that you wrote this excerpt yourself as satire. The whole thing looks like satire...particularly the number of uses of the word "urban" in the last paragraph.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The NHL seemed to be most interested in courting Seattle.

Which may be why, per the Seattle Times and ProHockeyTalk, Ray Bartoszek was invited to the NHL's offices "for a chat" yesterday. Bartoszek - co-founder and managing general partner of investment firm RLB Holdings - is the man behind efforts to build a privately-financed arena in the Seattle suburb of Tukwila and secure an NHL franchise to play in the facility.

Ray Bartoszek was invited to the NHL's offices "for a chat" yesterday.

Did Gary say anything, or did he just wiggle his head around as his face turned unprecedented shades of red?

• Like 1

Quebec is going to get screwed. I can feel it.

The arena's already been built under shady circumstances. Quebec has already been screwed; we are now merely awaiting confirmation of the extent of said screwing.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Lets put a NHL team in Truth or consequences, New Mexico :P

no Intercourse, Pennsylvania sounds better.

For Satan's Kingdom, Massachusetts we can move the Devils there.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Quebec is going to get screwed. I can feel it.

The arena's already been built under shady circumstances. Quebec has already been screwed; we are now merely awaiting confirmation of the extent of said screwing.

To be fair, I think everything in Quebec is built in shady circumstances. There has been a hell of a lot of corruption come to light in Quebec over the last few years.

Lets put a NHL team in Truth or consequences, New Mexico :P

no Intercourse, Pennsylvania sounds better.

For Satan's Kingdom, Massachusetts we can move the Devils there.

well i'll be damned that's a real place

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Calling it right now. Bettman's going to coax the Blues to move to Albuquerque. Logo's going to be changed to an angry meth crystal with a fedora and a hockey stick.

VmWIn6B.png