NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

5 hours ago, CDCLT said:

Personally? I don't care if players don't like gay people, they should wear the damn rainbow shirt for an hour before a game because that's the uniform for the day and every player on the team should wear the same uniform.

I mean, I guess if you read it as marking your territory on your vanquished foe, cool, maybe it feels the way people feel when they force people to stand for the national anthem, but I would only like gestures and expressions that are authentic.

Maybe the right idea was to keep having the promotions and publicly shaming the people who opt out. 

• LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

I don't think this is what they're saying but I cannot say what I think they really think. 

I'm not sure what else they could possibly saying. The teams aren't asking players to change their routine, they're literally warming up the same way they always do, just in a different jersey. And when a player cites his religion as the reason, it's pretty clear that the decision is rooted in ignorance.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2023 at 4:14 AM, who do you think said:

Yay slacktivism!

How long did you think on this one? Did you finally post it after considering going with "virtue signalling" for an hour? Seems like you did.

• Like 3

On 2023-02-01 at 7:30 PM, spartacat_12 said:

The interesting thing is that while men's professional sports seem to be behind the rest of the world when it comes to this stuff, women's pro sports are some of the safest spaces for members of the LGBTQ+ community.

Maybe not the NWSL, where both the women and men in positions of power seem prone to abuse, but yeah. Shades of that fundamentalist Christian who gave up her spot on the national soccer team rather than wear a jersey with rainbow numbers on the back. Clever way of letting the trash take itself out, although it's different in an environment where more than half of the labor is gay.

I noticed two different Premier League teams with big team-branded pride flags in stadium corners last weekend -- a different approach, but, traditionally English soccer has not exactly been a bastion of progressive values and tolerance either. Maybe that's the way to go, even if a few Chads and Karens in the arena start emitting steam out their ears when their bratty children are exposed to rainbow signage.

• Like 2

It seems like in general soccer fans (in the States, at least) are more progressive - they're "unionized" with supporters' groups, generally have no tolerance for intolerance, and are very willing to speak out for what they believe in. I would love to see that kind of culture transplanted to other sports (supporters groups are a thing for other sports but they usually don't get a dedicated section) because IMO sports are more fun when the crowd's into it.

• Applause 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

17 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

It seems like in general soccer fans (in the States, at least) are more progressive - they're "unionized" with supporters' groups, generally have no tolerance for intolerance, and are very willing to speak out for what they believe in. I would love to see that kind of culture transplanted to other sports (supporters groups are a thing for other sports but they usually don't get a dedicated section) because IMO sports are more fun when the crowd's into it.

This is generally true, but I am aware of one unfortunate exception:  NYCFC's crowd for a while had a visible group of neo-nazis / white supremacists. But it is definitely the case that a crowd with "no tolerance for intolerance" is much more likely to be found at soccer matches than at games of other sports in the U.S.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I would hesitate to draw too many conclusions -- it was maybe more true when the base of soccer fans in the States were overeducated Europhiles. The soccer fanbase is still maybe somewhat more to the left of sports fans at large, but that's because so many macho chuds will be reactionary anti-soccer forever.

I'd also point out that USSF has married a lot of USMNT fan culture to college football, for lack of a better term, and yeah there have historically been issues of NYCFC neo-nazis and LAFC fans chanting the famous slur imported from Mexico.

Anyway, I was talking about the Premier League specifically and its clubs' efforts to make qu/eer-outreach quite visible, and historically the sport's fanbase in England has never had the veneer of progressivism as in the States. Often quite the opposite, actually.

On 2/7/2023 at 7:31 PM, IceCap said:

How long did you think on this one? Did you finally post it after considering going with "virtue signalling" for an hour? Seems like you did.

Took me all day, actually.

Anyway, in a desperate attempt to redirect this thread back to off-the-ice NHL silliness instead of soccer and political dick-whipping, TV ratings apparently stink:

Reply guys who (presumably) have a better feel for the league than I do say it's because of streaming hassles and the NHL boning their scheduling format this season. There's an Athletic article that sounds promising but I'm not subscribed.

• WOAH 1

17 hours ago, CDCLT said:

I've been saying this for more than a dozen years, ever since I first experienced sitting with the Timbers Army in Portland during the USL days. Soccer today remains the only platform in professional sports that allows its supporters to have an institutionalized voice that actually resonates and is visible on game day. Almost none of it is done without a degree of trust and oversight, some of it a little overzealous, but the net effect of it is MLS has become, arguably, the most progressive league in American sports. It seemed as if one in every three tifo displays in Portland was about a social cause, whether it be LGBTQ+ or trans rights, justice for hate crimes, etc. They show their love for the team, but also make clear that they want the team they love to stand for what they believe in. 

In a way, putting this in the hands of a highly visible supporters group could take some of the burden off the team itself when it comes to championing righteous social causes. Not that I think teams shouldn't promote these issues, but when a player turns out to be a bigot, it's much easier to turn this into a workforce dispute that makes the player a martyr for the extreme right.  I'd argue there's more a stake for a player to take on a vocal part of the fanbase than there would be to speak out against their employer. 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2023 at 11:46 PM, who do you think said:

Took me all day, actually.

Anyway, in a desperate attempt to redirect this thread back to off-the-ice NHL silliness instead of soccer and political dick-whipping, TV ratings apparently stink:

Reply guys who (presumably) have a better feel for the league than I do say it's because of streaming hassles and the NHL boning their scheduling format this season. There's an Athletic article that sounds promising but I'm not subscribed.

Wow it's almost as if the constant barrage of ads make the game nearly unwatchable

Especially the glitchy digital ads on the boards and the disgraceful jersey sponsor patches. If there's any justice in this world, the greedy bastards  who came up with these ideas will suffer from having ingrown nails for the rest of their life

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

On 2/14/2023 at 11:57 AM, GDAWG said:

I had heard of a few different groups, but this is the first time Remington has been brought up, so it's an interesting choice for Reynolds. This was the same group that had tried to build an arena in Markham a little while back with the hopes of getting a 2nd Toronto NHL team. Considering how much development potential comes with the Sens moving downtown, it makes sense.

For a while it has sounded like Michael Andlauer (Hamilton/Brantford Bulldogs owner) and his group were the favourites to buy the team, but I'd say with Reynolds on board this should make Remington the front-runners.

48 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I had heard of a few different groups, but this is the first time Remington has been brought up, so it's an interesting choice for Reynolds. This was the same group that had tried to build an arena in Markham a little while back with the hopes of getting a 2nd Toronto NHL team. Considering how much development potential comes with the Sens moving downtown, it makes sense.

For a while it has sounded like Michael Andlauer (Hamilton/Brantford Bulldogs owner) and his group were the favourites to buy the team, but I'd say with Reynolds on board this should make Remington the front-runners.

Friedman said that Remington wasn't seen as top suitor and now he wonders if this might change some things with other buyers.

"The other thing I think a lot of people are wondering here is what deal they offered Ryan Reynolds that they would link up right away? I think in a lot of these cases, people are very careful about if you want to buy in, you really got to buy in. Again, I wouldn't discount the Bratty family in any way, shape or form, you'd be a fool to do that. But it does seem to be a little interesting to some of the potential buyers. What kind of deal was the offered just to commit yes right now?"

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

The Ducks' anniversary announcement video included a shot of Paul Kariya laying on the ice after being laid out by Scott Stevens during the 2003 SCF.

I get that it's not a business decision per se but I couldn't think of a different place to post this because :censored:ing YIKES.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

5 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

*Comes back to thread to see if we're back to making fun of the Coyotes*

*Leaves*

TBH, there's really not anything to talk about until May, when Tempe votes on whether or not they will be the long term home of the Coyotes.