NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I understand how Seattle may be a more appealing market than Quebec, but doesn't Quebec have the upper hand by having actual owners willing to buy the team? Unless I'm wrong, all Seattle has is an arena plan. Am I overlooking some Seattle ownership group?

I understand how Seattle may be a more appealing market than Quebec, but doesn't Quebec have the upper hand by having actual owners willing to buy the team? Unless I'm wrong, all Seattle has is an arena plan. Am I overlooking some Seattle ownership group?

You may be. The guy who expressed interest in building an arena in the Renton area a few years back to host a team (which he planned to own) has reportedly had talks with Hansen (the guy spearheading the NBA and NBA arena efforts in Seattle) or at the very least expressed interest in owning a team in the new NBA arena. Hansen has said he'd be open to the idea as well. I think where Seattle may not have quite as solid of an ownership group they have a clear advantage as far as the NHL is concerned when it comes to being a large US market that is English speaking vis-a-vis the NBC tv deal. And on top of that, the league could extract more money from Quebec via an expansion than they could from Seattle. But we'll see. I'd be shocked if one of the two cities isn't host to the Coyotes next season based on what we're seeing, and not seeing, going on.

^ Gary Bettman is Commissioner of the NHL. Any American city with a guy who says he might be interested will take precedent to a Canadian city with a complete ownership group, arena plans, season tickets sold and uniforms already manufactured.

:flagusa:

Winnipeg.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

^ Gary Bettman is Commissioner of the NHL. Any American city with a guy who says he might be interested will take precedent to a Canadian city with a complete ownership group, arena plans, season tickets sold and uniforms already manufactured.

:flagusa:

Winnipeg.

Were there any other real options at that point though? The cities that had arenas (KC, Houston, etc.) had no interest whatsoever in a team. Seattle wasn't in the mix yet.

sig.png

Nope. They couldn't even sell to Atlanta interests because the team had been evicted. It was let them move to Winnipeg (under the sale terms for Phoenix so they couldn't get a deal on a cheaper asset) or fold the team. Obvious choice.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Isn't the Seattle arena dependent on them getting an NBA team first?

While the Kings situation plays out, they're not going to move an NHL team there.

Yep. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Seattle's all but said that without an NBA team the arena is a no-go.

Isn't the Seattle arena dependent on them getting an NBA team first?

While the Kings situation plays out, they're not going to move an NHL team there.

True but the Seattle/Kings situation will be finished in 37 days.

That's going to look great in the Hockey Hall of Fame next to the Avco Cup.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If I'm doing my NHL math correctly, the city without an owner waiting needs someone to buy a team on the cheap (Coyotes); the city with an owner, an arena coming and fans waiting will pony up a big expansion fee.

If I'm doing my NHL math correctly, the city without an owner waiting needs someone to buy a team on the cheap (Coyotes); the city with an owner, an arena coming and fans waiting will pony up a big expansion fee.

I think that combined with the former Renton guy having interest in a team and Seattle's new arena being in the works (assuming the Kings vote goes their way in a little over a month), then they'd become the front runner for the Coyotes and Quebec would move into the catbird seat for the 31st team. Speaking of which I was hearing a rumor on a Seattle blog that hockey renderings of the new Seattle SoDo arena are being released some time today. They released the basketball ones yesterday.

seattlearena-06-comp_staples-sm.jpg