NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

No one would have begrudged them a plain NHL sweater to hold up at the draft, but to drag it out over a year because Fanatics can't do anything except be given money is a joke.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Is there a more OITGDNHL situation than forcing a temporary identity on a team just to appease a poverty billionaire into thinking that he can somehow build an arena when he can't even pay taxes or hotel bills?

At least they have a logo ready to go.

7dPN6HT.png

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

If Wide Latin shows up for real I'm disavowing this whole league.

• LOL 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, LMU said:

Is there a more OITGDNHL situation than forcing a temporary identity on a team just to appease a poverty billionaire into thinking that he can somehow build an arena when he can't even pay taxes or hotel bills?

At least they have a logo ready to go.

7dPN6HT.png

People in charge way overthink things. It makes them feel important and project that out.

They can create an color scheme, and identity, in a couple months. They can get their supplier to hold off creating their equipment and merch until they're ready for it. They can change their name, colors, or logos in a couple years if they flubbed it. They're not going to hit it out of the park no matter how much time they're given when they rely on dozens of 'focus groups' and 'fan surveys' to come up with the worst answer.

What do you want to eat tonight? Pizza. Chinese. Italian. Hamburgers.

Cool, let's go with tomato sauce, pickles, onion, ketchup, mustard, pepperoni, on fried rice with breadsticks.

Everyone gets what they wanted.

28 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

They can change their name, colors, or logos in a couple years if they flubbed it.

Is there any precedent for that in the modern era (team name change just because they didn't like it, not because of outside pressure)?

I'm surprised and also not surprised that they don't have this figured out already.  They couldn't really pay 10s to 00s of thousands to anyone to start working on an identity before they knew they had a team, because it could be a waste and possibly set people up for a big let down if it leaked.   

This is generally a once-in-a-franchise's-lifetime decision.  It's probably better that they're taking the WFT strategy than potentially flubbing it up (granted, WFT completely flubbed it, but hopefully these guys are a little more competent.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

Utah Plurals.

Who do I see about my check?

Pluralzz

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Coyotes owner has said that the Yotes AHL club the Tucson Roadrunners (who he also owns) will be moved to Tempe for next season. Tucson city officials have said they have yet to be contacted by the Coyotes about this and that they want the Roadrunners to stay in Tucson and complete the two years left on their lease.

• Facepalm 1

Signature intentionally left blank

19 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

RIP to the Coyotes Mascot Howler

Nah, he just went to go live on a farm and play all day with Pucky the Whale, Thrash, and Badaboum.

• LOL 2

VmWIn6B.png

34 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Rocky Mountain Xtreme

extreme.jpg

Part of the mountain range is in Utah, so the name could work.

I won't lie ... I had the same thought.

Plus, Salt Lake City MORE so in the mountains than Denver is. Denver is basically Kansas.

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

58 minutes ago, LMU said:

Nah, he just went to go live on a farm and play all day with Pucky the Whale, Thrash, and Badaboum.

I heard that Youppi was there for a bit until he was adopted by the Canadiens.  

• LOL 2