Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics

fouhy12

Wonder if this world cup can continue one of soccer's oddest quirks - both Bayern Munich and Inter Milan have had at least one player in the squad in every final since 1982!

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 11:21 PM, waltere said:

Wonder if this world cup can continue one of soccer's oddest quirks - both Bayern Munich and Inter Milan have had at least one player in the squad in every final since 1982!

Double post, but it will!

Croatia and Argentina both have an Inter player (Croatia also have a Bayern player), whilst France and Morocco both have Bayern players.

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Something I learned for the first time today - the first hat trick and first clean sheet in World Cup history both belong to the same national team: the United States.

Both of course happened in the 1930 tournament. Bert Patenaude scored the hat trick against Paraguay in their 2nd group stage game, and Jimmy Douglas won the clean sheet against Belgium in the first (he’d get a second consecutive clean sheet in the Paraguay game, also). 

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Something I learned for the first time today - the first hat trick and first clean sheet in World Cup history both belong to the same national team: the United States.

Both of course happened in the 1930 tournament. Bert Patenaude scored the hat trick against Paraguay in their 2nd group stage game, and Jimmy Douglas won the clean sheet against Belgium in the first (he’d get a second consecutive clean sheet in the Paraguay game, also). 

Just wanna state a likely unpopular opinion: The golden boot/hat trick stuff is kinda "meh" when nearly half those goals are on PKs they were designated to kick. I believe (like in NBA basketball) the player who drew the foul should be the one taking the shot. Instead, soccer let's the team handpick their best player to take the kick, which is basically like stat-padding for the likes of Messi and Mbappe.

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

4 hours ago, Cujo said:

Just wanna state a likely unpopular opinion: The golden boot/hat trick stuff is kinda "meh" when nearly half those goals are on PKs they were designated to kick. I believe (like in NBA basketball) the player who drew the foul should be the one taking the shot. Instead, soccer let's the team handpick their best player to take the kick, which is basically like stat-padding for the likes of Messi and Mbappe.

You'd have fewer annoying "hack a Shaq" / "hack a Ben" moments that draw out games forever if teams got to designate who got to shoot.  Right now, other than fouling out, there's no reason not to have your scrub players hack anyone that's not a good FT shooter but will make an easy lay-up or even dunk.

That said, soccer PKs are dumb, and using them to decide championships is absurd.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to Scorigami, there's only been 46 games with a final score of 38-7 (so not exactly rare, but definitely uncommon.)

Eagles just beat the Giants in the playoffs in PHL 38-7, five years to the day that they beat the (fraud) Vikings, in the playoffs 38-7.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

IDK if birthdates count in this but nevertheless going to put it here because whoa. 

I really want this to be true. But I must ask: when did Vin Scully call a game managed by Connie Mack? It could only have been in 1950, Mack's last season managing the A's, and Scully's first in the Dodgers' broadcast booth.

It could have been in spring training. But I doubt that spring training games would have been on the radio then. Also, I have read Scully's debut with the Dodgers dated to an April date in the regular season.

So that would mean that, for Scully to have called a game managed by Mack, the Dodgers and A's would have to have met in an in-season exhibition during the 1950 season, and also that this exhibition game would have to have been broadcast by the Dodgers. 

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Somebody tweeted a response crediting Elias with the claim that the Dodgers broadcast a 1950 spring training game against the A's.

However, the Philadelphia Inquirer says that Scully's broadcasting debut came in a regular season game against the Phillies on April 18. That date can be found in many other accounts of Scully's career.

Still, I hope that the Inquirer is wrong, because the  story involving Connie Mack is better.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The Arizona Cardinals are the Super Bowl host team this year. 3 of the 4 remaining teams in the playoffs have played the Cardinals. The 49ers, Eagles, and Chiefs. If you count the preseason, Arizona played the Bengals in the preseason. Many Super Bowl host teams have had an opponent who they played during the same season play on their home stadium for the big game.

• 2 weeks later...