Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics

fouhy12

On 8/11/2015 at 3:50 AM, Mac the Knife said:

Philadelphia is the only city (I think - I'm writing this at 5am while half-asleep so I could be wrong about this one) to have lost both professional baseball (A's) and basketball (Warriors) franchises, yet which has both professional baseball (Phillies) and basketball (76ers) franchises today.

Milwaukee's lost baseball twice (original Brewers & Braves) and basketball (Hawks...though they did nothing but suck in their brief stay, so it's really easy to forget they were even there), yet have both today (Brewers, Bucks)

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

24 minutes ago, Discrim said:

Milwaukee's lost baseball twice (original Brewers & Braves) and basketball (Hawks...though they did nothing but suck in their brief stay, so it's really easy to forget they were even there), yet have both today (Brewers, Bucks)

If you extend it to entire states

New York State lost Syracuse Nationals (76ers), Buffalo Braves (Clippers), Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Baseball Giants but have the Knicks, Nets, Yankees and Mets

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

If you extend it to entire states

New York State lost Syracuse Nationals (76ers), Buffalo Braves (Clippers), Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Baseball Giants but have the Knicks, Nets, Yankees and Mets

But there was always a basketball and baseball team in NY, and losing a team in a completely different media market especially at that time isn’t anywhere close to the same.

• Applause 2

3 hours ago, Discrim said:

DC lost the Senators twice then got the Nationals, and lost the Capitols in 1950 then eventually got the relocated Bullets

Probably more random than anything, but still intrigued me nevertheless:

Last year’s World Series matchup featured the penultimate team of HOFer Eddie Mathews - the Astros - vs. his primary team - the Braves.

This year’s matchup features the penultimate team of HOFer Robin Roberts - again, the Astros - vs. his primary team - the Phillies.

If the Phillies win the series, then the primary team of both HOFers will have won thier respective series.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Probably more random than anything, but still intrigued me nevertheless:

Last year’s World Series matchup featured the penultimate team of HOFer Eddie Mathews - the Astros - vs. his primary team - the Braves.

This year’s matchup features the penultimate team of HOFer Robin Roberts - again, the Astros - vs. his primary team - the Phillies.

If the Phillies win the series, then the primary team of both HOFers will have won thier respective series.

Nice one.

This made me think of something that I have ruminated about for a while.  I believe that the 1996 World Series was the first one in which each manager had played for the other team.

Alternate 1961 Joe Torre Milwaukee Braves card. | Braves, Milwaukee baseball,  Joe torre   Amazon.com: 1969 Topps # 237 Bobby Cox New York Yankees (Baseball Card) VG  Yankees : Collectibles & Fine Art 

I couldn't find an example from before that.  I'll leave it to you kiddies to determine if it has happened since then, as my knowledge stops at 1996.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

In Week 7 of the 2022 NFL season, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers both lost to former XFL2 QBs.

Brady lost to P. J. Walker (Houston Roughnecks --> Carolina Panthers)

Rodgers lost to Taylor Heinicke (St. Louis BattleHawks --> Washington Commanders)

Also of note, in new Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Kenny Pickett's first four games as a rookie, he threw 2 TDs and 7 INTs. Only four other QBs have thrown 2 or fewer TDs and 7 or more INTs in their first four games as a rookie:

Bill Demory (a third-string Jet who only played because Joe Namath and Al Woodall got injured) (1 TD / 7 INT)

Matt Robinson (another Jet who was supposed to be nothing more than Richard Todd's backup) (2 TD / 8 INT)

Terry Luck (a one-and-done Brown who was supposed to just coach after a knee injury, but then came back) (1 TD / 7 INT)

Ryan Leaf (needs no introduction) (1 TD / 8 INT)

If you are a Steelers fan, I feel sorry for you.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 9:39 AM, ManillaToad said:

The Yankees are the first team in history to lose 5 straight ALCS appearances 👍

Ya just HATE to see it.

Also, while the teams have only played each other 15 times (by virtue of opposite conferences) including in Super Bowl XX, yesterday was the first time the Bears have beaten the Patriots in Foxborough.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

7 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Inspired by watching Facing Nolan on Netflix today, to put the scope of his career in perspective, Nolan Ryan pitched against these two uniforms:

spacer.png

spacer.png

This reminds me of something that might be in this thread already on a previous page. (If it is, well, here it is again.)

meme-Tommy-John.jpg

• WOAH 4

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...