MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

6 hours ago, insert name said:

I dunno, there's something about the new uniforms from the Brewers that isn't clicking with me. I think it's the Glove hat combined with the modern uniforms. 

CfVDVfzUYAADmtU.jpg

Agreed, it will take some getting used to, but I think the glove logo is ideal for Milwaukee. In 2012, the Pirates teamed the black alternate jersey with the mustard 1971 hat a couple of times, which I'm glad they stopped.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

Agreed, it will take some getting used to, but I think the glove logo is ideal for Milwaukee. In 2012, the Pirates teamed the black alternate jersey with the mustard 1971 hat a couple of times, which I'm glad they stopped.

I never remembered seeing this, and thought is never happened, but here it is.

8001615879_24090fbf64_o.png

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 4/3/2016 at 6:42 PM, BigEd76 said:

Not mentioned on that Lukas preview article but it was on Twitter, the Phillies font on the uniforms looks "puffier" this year

Ce_8VHlUIAETDGF.jpg

(2015)

ryan-howard.jpg

The mystery behind the Phils change has been solved:

When the new red alternate jerseys arrived, they came with a different, bigger, bolder font. And so, the regular white and gray jerseys were made to fit in with the new jersey on the Phillies uniform block. "They wanted to get a consistent size with the 'Phillies' because the red alternate was different because it has that border around it,” said Frank Coppenbarger, the Phillies director of team travel and clubhouse services.

23 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'd be on board with everyone using matte helmets now. Hats are matte. Might as well match.

On the other hand, I do not like the matte effect in football.

I don't like matte football helmets and I also don't like these matte baseball helmets. I've considered that hats are matte and I'm usually all for matching the hats to the helmets and I know that originally batting helmets had like a cloth covering, but that looked weird then. Reminds me of Britt's Hair Helmet from Flight of the Conchords. 

Flight-of-the-Conchords-Helmet-that-Look

I guess I want some visual consistency between the hats and helmets to match in color and logo, but I don't want them to pretend that they're not wearing helmets. 

8 hours ago, BigEd76 said:

The Phillies look like they're wearing counterfeit jerseys. That bubbly, rounded font didn't need to get fatter. It's just less elegant. Downgrade for sure. 

16 hours ago, insert name said:

I dunno, there's something about the new uniforms from the Brewers that isn't clicking with me. I think it's the Glove hat combined with the modern uniforms. 

CfVDVfzUYAADmtU.jpg

Who thought the yellow block of color where the seams overlap was a good idea? Should've left that blue. And these half measures that the Brewers and Padres are taking are frustrating. Stop trying to have it both ways. Just go back to your roots!

PvO6ZWJ.png

18 hours ago, insert name said:

CfVDVfzUYAADmtU.jpg

The only thing not drab about the Brewers' current uniforms is the gold thread, which sparkles under sunlight.  It seems counter-intuitive, since the gold is translated into khaki everywhere else, but swapping athletic gold for metallic gold actually made the uniforms less vibrant.

And that's even setting aside the Illustrator mistake on the caps.

Just now, Gothamite said:

Who's doing that?

Nobody, but if that's what matte is intended to do, look more like a hat, then no thanks. It's probably not the reason all these teams have suddenly taken it up and it's probably just another fad, but in any case I'm not a fan. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

43 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Nobody, but if that's what matte is intended to do, look more like a hat, then no thanks. It's probably not the reason all these teams have suddenly taken it up and it's probably just another fad, but in any case I'm not a fan. 

Yeah, I don't think that's the reason at all.  Considering it really started in football. 

I think teams just like the look. 

15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I don't think that's the reason at all.  Considering it really started in football. 

I think teams just like the look. 

Matte helmets were in college baseball before college football.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

18 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Matte helmets were in college baseball before college football.

Were they?  I don't care much about college sports at all, so I'll take your word for it.

Regardless, I've never heard anyone seriously suggest that matte helmets were introduced in some attempt to "pretend that they're not wearing helmets".  Next we'll hear that Nike's matte fabrics was developed so players can pretend they're not wearing pants. :P

Something I noticed looking at the Brewers yesterday wearing the Brewers navy alt with the metallic gold color... it's hard at a glance to differentiate whether they're wearing the navy with metallic gold or the navy with yellow gold. I saw a side picture and I couldn't tell which jersey it was.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I agree that matte helmets are probably not supposed to look more like hats.  Given how rarely teams even bother matching them nowadays, that would be a surprise.  However, this notion would not be unprecedented as making helmets look like hats was tried decades ago.

And as WSU points out, I think the fad started in college baseball, not football. But I think it's just that, a fad.

In any case I am a fan.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It works well with black and probably navy helmets, but I'm not sure that I'd like it with red or royal.

I really dislike the Vikings' matte (or satin, whatever) helmet - it just doesn't even look real.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, BigEd76 said:

"When the new red alternate jerseys arrived, they came with a different, bigger, bolder font. And so, the regular white and gray jerseys were made to fit in with the new jersey on the Phillies uniform block. "They wanted to get a consistent size with the 'Phillies' because the red alternate was different because it has that border around it,” said Frank Coppenbarger, the Phillies director of team travel and clubhouse services."

Talk about the tail wagging the dog. An alternate jersey has a (frankly) incorrect size, so you change the home and the primary to match the alternate? Should've just revised the alternate.

I wish they took this "opportunity" to fix the gigantic, unnecessary white border around their script (which should be removed entirely - the white border is superfluous against the gray at this point), but no, they decided to make their wordmark completely bloated instead.

24 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It works well with black and probably navy helmets, but I'm not sure that I'd like it with red or royal.

I really dislike the Vikings' matte (or satin, whatever) helmet - it just doesn't even look real.

Last year's Dbacks used matte on their red helmets and I didn't like how it looked. Reminded me of red icing on a cake. 

Diamondbacks-Padres-Baseball17-1880x1254

PvO6ZWJ.png

i think the point with the matte helmets is just to make them "match" everything else better.. there are no other truly "shiny" or "glossy" elements in baseball, so dulling down the helmets so that the logos are more visible and the colors are more consistent is more of a logical progression in my opinion.. especially with the prominence of colored alternate jerseys, it helps cut down on having two versions of the same color.

Archived