MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

3 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

IMG_5330.PNG

That's better.  The other version is really hard to judge.  My immediate reaction is twofold:

1) I see old Angels with a missing halo.

2) It seems a bit goofy and childish for the Cardinals.

Neither of these are necessarily fair or based on any kind of reason.  It's just immediate gut feeling.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Violates one of my cardinal design rules (sorry, couldn't resist). 

The squatchee must always match the contrasting bill.  Always. 

It's especially weird since the original full navy one has a red squatchee.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My odd thing.

I cant stand when the road cap has more different elements than the home.

IE, orioles have three elements (orange, black, white) at home and two (orange, black) on the road

indians have two (red blue) at home and one ( blue) on the road

reverse that order and things get weird

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

25 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

That's better.  The other version is really hard to judge.  My immediate reaction is twofold:

1) I see old Angels with a missing halo.

2) It seems a bit goofy and childish for the Cardinals.

Neither of these are necessarily fair or based on any kind of reason.  It's just immediate gut feeling.

Honestly, I'd say it's far more appropriate than the all-navy cap. It tributes one of the most successful runs in the team's history (the early-mid 1940's), and fits more with the uniform's color distribution than the all-navy cap. 

Ultimately, the 1940-55 tribute and the way the red bill adds just the right amount of colorful punch to the road uniform is why I'll always prefer the Cardinals' navy caps to have red bills.

4 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

My odd thing.

I cant stand when the road cap has more different elements than the home.

IE, orioles have three elements (orange, black, white) at home and two (orange, black) on the road

indians have two (red blue) at home and one ( blue) on the road

reverse that order and things get weird

That is a little odd.. But I like it.. Although the argument to that could be that they've only altered the crown from the home, but kept the squatchee, bill, and logo (although the logo was also alerted in this case, but  I'm just speaking generally).. I think that could be a justified reason..

On September 7, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

If we're working off the premise that this is the reason for the gold, then I think this would definitely work.  It was said that the pinstripe look is distinctly Thunderdome, and... that's true.  The last set of uniforms and the dome kinda go hand in hand, and they don't jive as much with Target Field.  However, that's the set with the pinstripes and red lettering.

2352e1fa-fee7-46e9-885a-90384bc9a99b_lg.

However, if they brought the pinstripes back now, it would be under the new navy lettering with red background.  This has a much more classic look to it that fits their new home.  After all, that's what they wore in their inaugural year, long predating the dome.

Allison+&+Fam1970.JPG

Of course, I think the gold was brought in not to differentiate themselves, but to bring in some color from Target Field, mimicking the limestone.  I don't think the jerseys are bad at all, but I agree with the earlier comment that they look better in the sun.  I never realized that, but it's true.  In sunlight, the gold is brighter and disappears somewhat.  Under the lights, it doesn't shine, instead becoming a thick, hanging mustard akin to when the Brewers' gold goes wrong.  Then again, maybe that says something about my feelings on the gold where I like the version where you can't see it as much better.

My biggest problem with the identity is the cap.  The idea that the home cap is an alt has confused and upset me since the inception, but they took one of the simplest, cleanest, most beautiful caps and thickened it unnecessarily.  It's a shame.

I'd be fine with a home set that's like the throwbacks they wear now. At the same time though it also would be cool to try something a bit new for a new ballpark, like they did. I really like the idea of the limestone more than most, mostly because I thought the use of it in the 2014 ASG branding was phenomenal. I definitely don't think you're wrong in saying it's better when less noticeable, because I would agree that it works better as an accent than something prominent. I think if it was much more of a cream or light tan that I mentioned earlier, that it would honestly be one of my favorite jerseys in all of baseball.

As for the cap, I wouldn't know how to fix that. Maybe make it a shadow like in the wordmark, rather than an outline?

6 hours ago, MJD7 said:

As for the cap, I wouldn't know how to fix that. Maybe make it a shadow like in the wordmark, rather than an outline?

They should just get rid of the gold outlined hat and wear the classic one. The Twins gold is used pretty much like the Giants gold. Have the Giants added a gold outline to their caps? No. Would it look good? Not at all.

Most elements of the Twins look are OK in a vacuum.  But it's an overall mess.

As pointed out above: Alt cap with primary home uniform and primary cap with alternate uniforms?  Really?  Same helmet regardless.  Ugh.

Either go all in on the gold (but please, don't) or ditch it (yes).

I suppose I'd like to see the throwback become the home jersey.  That, of course, would mean a redesigned road jersey...That look historically used "Twins" on the road as well.  "Minnesota" is not conducive to a great wordmark, IMO.  So either go with "Twins" on both or do your best with "Minnesota."

Hat: I thought the silver gold lining to this mess would be that the outline would help alleviate the problem of the red "C" sort of blending into the hat.  I suppose it has, but it's not worth it.  I knew it was not going to happen but my fantasy change for the move to Target field was that they'd change to a red "T" and "C" with a white outline.  Yeah, it would look a bit more like Boston or the Cardinals road cap, but so be it.  That's still what I want.

What I really want, along with that hat change, is for them to be less all over the map.  Options:

• Go all-in on the throwback (but still, my hat idea)
  • Go all-in on the gold...put it on all hats, the road jersey, the blue alt, the helmet
  • Stick with the current look, sans gold
  • Something new that maintains the essence of the team's history (that is, the colors that sooooo many other teams have...it's not the job of a team to change a color scheme that's been around over 50 years (and, counting Washington, probably back to the deadball era)

If they do any of the bottom three bullets, it's time to dump the throwbacks aside from anniversaries of the 1965 team, etc.  But not every week.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Twins' mustard uniforms are the worst in franchise history. Making the identity match the product on the field I guess.

SFGiants58 did a great update of their identity last summer which is what they should be wearing. I'm sure next year they're going to shoehorn mustard into the road uniforms and eventually they'll get rid of the throwbacks and there just won't be any reason to watch anymore.

On 9/9/2016 at 9:24 AM, OnWis97 said:

As pointed out above: Alt cap with primary home uniform and primary cap with alternate uniforms?  Really?  Same helmet regardless.  Ugh.

I suppose I'd like to see the throwback become the home jersey.  That, of course, would mean a redesigned road jersey...That look historically used "Twins" on the road as well.  "Minnesota" is not conducive to a great wordmark, IMO.  So either go with "Twins" on both or do your best with "Minnesota."

Hat: I thought the silver gold lining to this mess would be that the outline would help alleviate the problem of the red "C" sort of blending into the hat.  I suppose it has, but it's not worth it.  I knew it was not going to happen but my fantasy change for the move to Target field was that they'd change to a red "T" and "C" with a white outline.  Yeah, it would look a bit more like Boston or the Cardinals road cap, but so be it.  That's still what I want.

What I really want, along with that hat change, is for them to be less all over the map.  Options:

• Go all-in on the throwback (but still, my hat idea)
  • Go all-in on the gold...put it on all hats, the road jersey, the blue alt, the helmet
  • Stick with the current look, sans gold
  • Something new that maintains the essence of the team's history (that is, the colors that sooooo many other teams have...it's not the job of a team to change a color scheme that's been around over 50 years (and, counting Washington, probably back to the deadball era)

If they do any of the bottom three bullets, it's time to dump the throwbacks aside from anniversaries of the 1965 team, etc.  But not every week.

Yea. I would agree that, overall, the identity is in flux, to say the least. I just wanted to focus on the home uniform for now. I feel like that would need to be fixed before moving on to making the rest consistent. Of the options you put out there, I would probably try to do a mix of the bottom two. I feel like that would be the most interesting possibility, and a direction that could maybe still be unique from other teams.

On 9/9/2016 at 0:39 PM, jujubeans said:

The Twins' mustard uniforms are the worst in franchise history. Making the identity match the product on the field I guess.

SFGiants58 did a great update of their identity last summer which is what they should be wearing. I'm sure next year they're going to shoehorn mustard into the road uniforms and eventually they'll get rid of the throwbacks and there just won't be any reason to watch anymore.

I personally don't hate the gold, I just think it could be lightened quite a few shades in order to not look like mustard, as you said. That being said, I wouldn't want it on the road uniforms either. I don't think it would make sense in the brand or aesthetically.

On 9/9/2016 at 0:46 AM, Bmac said:

I know I'm in the minority on this opinion, but I think a potential Cardinals road cap should be navy with a red bill, and red STL logo with no white outline. I strongly prefer that look.

Eh.  I don't think red and Navy contrast enough to look good.  That little sliver of white makes both colors pop so much more.  I'd like to see if I'm alone on this, but I find this a major fault in all these caps (yes, I understand with the throwback it was more important to be historically accurate, but seeing it just reinforced the point in my head.)

ff900795186a9eb36f44e070b98f4095.1500

trevor-bauer-seattle-710x434.jpg

Cry8x5bUMAA-YAA.jpg

On 9/9/2016 at 1:04 AM, MJD7 said:

I'd be fine with a home set that's like the throwbacks they wear now. At the same time though it also would be cool to try something a bit new for a new ballpark, like they did. I really like the idea of the limestone more than most, mostly because I thought the use of it in the 2014 ASG branding was phenomenal. I definitely don't think you're wrong in saying it's better when less noticeable, because I would agree that it works better as an accent than something prominent. I think if it was much more of a cream or light tan that I mentioned earlier, that it would honestly be one of my favorite jerseys in all of baseball.

I didn't want to elevate the throwback.  I think the throwback print is too outdated and awkward, while the modern version is balances and beautiful.  I just want to see them keep the current jersey but make it a pinstripe one.  I just posted the picture to show that red "Twins" over pinstripe is distinctly Metrodome, but navy "Twins" over pinstripe dates back to their origins.

I'd like to see them put something together like this.

11mf0c0.jpg

I made a bunch of little tweaks that can go either way as I kept looking at it, but I like it.  I think the home sets them apart from the rest of their division, the red alt looks less pajama-like than the current one, more like a major league uniform, while including the gold accents (I kept the drop shadow from the home and made the outline on the sleeve patch metallic gold across the board).  With the current home emulating the throwback, there's no need for it, and the more unique and bright red throwback can come back once or twice a month, along with the Pucket/Metrodome throwback.  You can make a special night with retro graphics around it.

Hmm...  Interesting idea.  I wouldn't mind seeing a concept of that either to see if it works.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2016 at 9:52 PM, DiePerske said:

Any leaks of postseason apparel(hoodys and such) that i missed? That, or division champs designs and such. 

I didn't think too much of this, but now that the Cubs clinched...

Hey!  There it goes.  A little bit plainer than I would like, but at least this way they can't put the wrong ballpark on it.

0279_TLP_Aspot_1108x300.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

57 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I didn't think too much of this, but now that the Cubs clinched...

Hey!  There it goes.  A little bit plainer than I would like, but at least this way they can't put the wrong ballpark on it.

0279_TLP_Aspot_1108x300.jpg

Such originality :rolleyes:

Archived