MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

On 9/8/2016 at 7:05 AM, Cujo said:

17438318-mmmain.jpg

As I've said 1000 times. The jerseys with the name on the back are over $100 cheaper. It's not our fault that the merchandisers decide to sell us that as the replica. Fans of every other franchise get to buy the cheaper jersey with no one :censored:ting on them for not being real fans. Blame majestic, not the fans. 

Anubis.png

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Anubis2051 said:

As I've said 1000 times. The jerseys with the name on the back are over $100 cheaper. It's not our fault that the merchandisers decide to sell us that as the replica. Fans of every other franchise get to buy the cheaper jersey with no one :censored:ting on them for not being real fans. Blame majestic, not the fans. 

If you're buying a crappy cheap Yankees replica with the name on the back, then you need to put it down and save a few months more and get a real jersey with no name on the back. It's not like Yankee jerseys are going out of style or will change any time soon. Wait, 10 years and it will look the same. Heck, you can go to CustomThrowbacks.com and get a real jersey for $50 more than a replica. There is no excuse for a person to be wearing a crappy cheap replica Yankees jersey.

You can't blame an entire fanbase for a segment, no matter how large, wearing something like that.  Fashion jerseys and crappy knockoffs are rife everywhere.  It just so happens that the Yankees have a specific feature to their authentic jerseys that stand out among others.  And most kids first start out with a navy t-shirt, of which I've almost never seen without a name on them.  We're the kind of guys that are gonna know the difference between the Mets home with and without black drop shadow.  A lot of people aren't really gonna notice the difference, no matter how big a part of the team's uniform culture it is, especially when the team has so much other culture the fanbase focuses on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

48 minutes ago, oddball said:

If you're buying a crappy cheap Yankees replica with the name on the back, then you need to put it down and save a few months more and get a real jersey with no name on the back. It's not like Yankee jerseys are going out of style or will change any time soon. Wait, 10 years and it will look the same. Heck, you can go to CustomThrowbacks.com and get a real jersey for $50 more than a replica. There is no excuse for a person to be wearing a crappy cheap replica Yankees jersey.

You can buy a blank Yankee replica jersey, and then get it numbered (or just leave it).

Yankee jerseys with names are an embarrassment. I've even seen "DI MAGGIO 5" and "RUTH 3". That's the kind of stupidity that cannot be parodied.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You can buy a blank Yankee replica jersey, and then get it numbered (or just leave it).

Yankee jerseys with names are an embarrassment. I've even seen "DI MAGGIO 5" and "RUTH 3". That's the kind of stupidity that cannot be parodied.

That's more expense. As much as you'd like for everyone to be able to afford a $200, most people can't. $100 could be a splurge, could be Christmas or a Birthday for some. Doubling that, well maybe that means only one kid gets the jersey, not both. It's crazy to say "get the real deal or not at all" or "spend money on expensive customization".

I was 16 when I got my first jersey, and I saved for months to be able to afford it. I was so happy to get that replica, even though it had a big JETER over the number 2. And I wore that jersey with pride - I still have it in fact. Years later after college I got the NOB ripped off and had a 1998 World Series patch added. Sure I made it more "authentic" later on, but that wasn't until I had a real job and disposable income. But that doesn't change how proud that jersey made me as a 16 year old, even though I knew it was wrong. It was still a jersey. That meant something. 

Anubis.png

A while back I purchased a replica Yankees jersey and went to the swap meet and had a number 38 placed on the back (the cheap iron on kind).  At the time, the jersey cost me $80; to put the number on it cost me $5.  Now if it was a road jersey there'd be a problem...

I need to pull that jersey out again sometime...

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

16 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

At the beginning of the season, I really liked this cap and considered adding one to my collection. Now I'm glad I didn't, think it was worn too often, and gets my vote as worst look in 2016. 

IMG_2099.JPG

Completely with you. 

Even if new era hadn't messed up the logo, the color scheme is greatly inferior to the standard alternate. 

1 hour ago, Brandon9485 said:

At the beginning of the season, I really liked this cap and considered adding one to my collection. Now I'm glad I didn't, think it was worn too often, and gets my vote as worst look in 2016. 

IMG_2099.JPG

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Completely with you. 

Even if new era hadn't messed up the logo, the color scheme is greatly inferior to the standard alternate. 

I think it's good looking in a vacuum.  The thing that brought it down was the great mishandling of the application, it joining a road alternate that was worn at home.  At this point, it's just hopefully a view at a nice rebrand for next year.  And basically everything I just said is applicable for both Milwaukee and San Diego.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm normally not big on the "everyone wears one number" thing, but this is a worthwhile exception. The image of the entire Marlins team converging on the mound, all wearing Fernandez jerseys, was incredible. And Dee Gordon hitting a home run and crying while rounding the bases, with Fernandez's name on his back, was a beautiful moment that no one will soon forget.

(Speaking of which, talk about being reminiscent of Bobby Murcer after Munson died in 1979. As I said, no one will forget that Dee Gordon homer.)

On 9/25/2016 at 2:13 AM, Thomas said:

This is truly disturbing...I hope this isn't a sign of things to come

Anubis.png

On 9/24/2016 at 8:01 PM, oddball said:

You're assuming that the average fan gives a damn about wearing the exact on-field product. While we on these boards might be perfectionists with regards to uniform details, it's ridiculous to expect average fans to pay extra money for such a detail as no player name on the back. Most fans are happy to have a jersey that they can support their favorite team/player with, regardless of whether it's a 100% carbon copy of the on-field uni. These fans aren't dumb (some may be oblivious to no name on the back of Yankees jerseys), they just don't value the absence of a player name as worth $50. Remember, these are average baseball fans and not uniform gurus, some may even LIKE having their favorite player's last name on the back.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Not news but...I went to tonight's Braves game for one of the last games at Turner Field. They had an authentic game worn, signed, etc clearance area where they were ditching their old stuff. Pretty great prices. Picked up an awesome Atlanta Black Crackers game worn throwback for $50, #58. Not sure which year or who wore it. I also scored a NWT Gordon Beckham Flex Base (this year's new Majestic template) autographed away jersey for $75. Pretty sure it was just leftovers unused before he was traded. Not super keen on Beckham or it being signed, I just always liked the away jerseys.

IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4349.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

9jji14.jpg

2145i7n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't notice until after Game 3 between the Blue Jays and Rangers, but TBS seems to have specialty seal/token logos for each team.  Has TBS been doing this for all of their baseball coverage, or just the playoffs?  I wouldn't mind seeing a gallery of the entire league.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived