MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I wouldn't use the same color scheme, but I'm receptive to Mariners concepts that incorporate neon green and some sort of progressive design elements. Not saying they have to, just that I'd be interested in what else is possible.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, I do have three proposals regarding the Mariners' script situation. Note, these all feature a brightening of the shade of teal, so that it contrasts more with the navy blue.

- the top option would involve thickening outlines and removing the silver/white outline (which is probably my preferred choice)

- the middle option has the thick outlines and the silver/white outlines (which do clutter the look a bit)

- the bottom option features teal scripts with navy outlines (which I also like, as it refreshes the set while keeping visual continuity intact - and would ensure that both the home and road uniforms would use the teal-billed cap full time)

yPrx8Bt.png

These are all excellent... I don't wanna pick a favorite because I don't wanna disappoint myself when the M's don't use any of the three. I'm really intrigued to see how the third one would look in reality.

With that said, I'm one of the ones that does like the new version of the real script. I'm in the "I could never see the teal clearly until the switch" camp.

I am shocked people are arguing this. I had no clue anyone criticized the Mariner's new look. I thought everyone was as on board as they were with the Rangers making the same change.

AP767340708293.jpgmlb-los-angeles-angels-seattle-mariners.

marinersmag_septemberguti.jpgstarting-pitcher-hisashi-iwakuma-18-of-t

Do I think that they have succeeded in making the teal more readable? Probably not. As mentioned, having white on both sides makes it look about as readable as it was before. However, I think that the navy and teal together gave it a dark look that over time was feeling a little dreary. Adding the white line makes the text pop more, gives the text a silverish feel, and gives them a nice looking update without losing what should be their basic look for the rest of their existence.

As for neon green, I think that the neon works well for football, and the teal for baseball, but those color schemes probably would not look good the other way around. While in baseball the uniform colors are mostly white and gray, allowing the two colors of similar darkness plenty of contrast, whereas on a color uniform alone together it wouldn't look good. Meanwhile, neon is too weird and gimmicky for the more traditional sport.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I disagree that adding a white line makes the text pop more. At least before, the teal sorta "glowed" against the navy. It may not have been as apparent as, say, orange, but you could see it. But with white on either side of a thin teal line, that line looks navy from any distance. Just look at the dugout picture you posted. Most of those players look like they have a floating navy outline. But as I've said before, the way to solve this issue, if it really was their reasoning, would be to lighten the teal a hair or two and make the outlines thicker. All they did was make the teal disappear more and make it all less legible.

And the Rangers uniforms have been a mess for about fifteen years now. Their recent changes of eliminating the black and shadows were good, but their uniforms still kinda blow. They would be much better off eliminating the white outline between the red and blue.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I disagree that adding a white line makes the text pop more. At least before, the teal sorta "glowed" against the navy. It may not have been as apparent as, say, orange, but you could see it. But with white on either side of a thin teal line, that line looks navy from any distance. Just look at the dugout picture you posted. Most of those players look like they have a floating navy outline. But as I've said before, the way to solve this issue, if it really was their reasoning, would be to lighten the teal a hair or two and make the outlines thicker. All they did was make the teal disappear more and make it all less legible.

And the Rangers uniforms have been a mess for about fifteen years now. Their recent changes of eliminating the black and shadows were good, but their uniforms still kinda blow. They would be much better off eliminating the white outline between the red and blue.

I posted a close and a far picture of each uniform because I knew people would argue that distance makes a difference. Like I said, this doesn't make the teal more readable. No. But look at the original from far away. Yes, you can tell that's teal, but the two colors are so dark that you end up with a dense dark blob. In the dugout picture, even with the players that are turned almost perpendicular to the camera, you can see the line between the two, which looks like the text has a silver lining. It doesn't make the teal pop, but it makes the text pop, giving it what looks to the eye like a silver lining that breaks up the drabness.

Lightening the teal would make the color more readable from close-to-mid range, but unless it's thicker I don't know if it's going to make much difference at a far difference, and I don't think going from dark-to medium-to light is going to look quite right. Either way, I don't know if a lighter teal would fit the region's identity. I dunno. Just doesn't feel right to my gut.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well, I do have three proposals regarding the Mariners' script situation. Note, these all feature a brightening of the shade of teal, so that it contrasts more with the navy blue.

- the top option would involve thickening outlines and removing the silver/white outline (which is probably my preferred choice)

- the middle option has the thick outlines and the silver/white outlines (which do clutter the look a bit)

- the bottom option features teal scripts with navy outlines (which I also like, as it refreshes the set while keeping visual continuity intact - and would ensure that both the home and road uniforms would use the teal-billed cap full time)

yPrx8Bt.png

3rd option for me [embrace teal]

I was watching the Seahawks game and thought how them and the mariners have similar color schemes so I was wondering how the Mariners would look with the same colors as the Seahawks and if it would be a good idea

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=57531036&cp=1452889.1473433

so this

It's funny how things come full circle. I remember Majestic making those with pinstripes in the late 90s before the Seahawks adopted the neon color. They used to sell on eBay for under $20 in the early 2000s.

SEAsig.png

I was watching the Seahawks game and thought how them and the mariners have similar color schemes so I was wondering how the Mariners would look with the same colors as the Seahawks and if it would be a good idea

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=57531036&cp=1452889.1473433

so this

Yaaugh. I think we can categorize this with the Brewers' gold alt in the "accent colors don't always work for full jerseys" pile.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think the above post from Silent Wind really explains it perfectly and the pictures exemplify it well. But no matter which way we go its also clear the teal doesn't show up enough.

So... my suggestion would be to use the third/teal wordmark from SFGiants58... That teal wordmark while keeping the navy caps would finally be a better balance of them being a Navy & Teal team and not just "Oh they're a Navy with a teeny tiny drop of teal that you can only see from up close" team.

No.

But no matter which way we go its also clear the teal doesn't show up enough.

For me, it's not about having the teal show up. It's about legibility, and having a silver accent between the navy and teal muddies the wordmark and makes it less legible.

Reading what you wrote I realize legibility is what I meant. Showing up was the wrong term. Thanks.

The silver accent between the navy and teal does muddy the wordmark. It screams of someone in the organization thinking they need to change for change's sake. Can't leave a solid, well done design alone, have to muck with it to justify that you're doing your job.

Exactly. Just like the White Sox deciding to swap the clever diamond-sock patch out for their primary logo on the roads after 20 seasons, and then dropping the black and white pants stripes for mismatched piping two years later. Someone is sitting at a very nice mahogany desk, getting paid a lot of money, and felt he had to change something to show that he's seriously doing work and not spending the entire work day on Reddit.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The silver accent between the navy and teal does muddy the wordmark. It screams of someone in the organization thinking they need to change for change's sake. Can't leave a solid, well done design alone, have to muck with it to justify that you're doing your job.

Exactly. Just like the White Sox deciding to swap the clever diamond-sock patch out for their primary logo on the roads after 20 seasons, and then dropping the black and white pants stripes for mismatched piping two years later. Someone is sitting at a very nice mahogany desk, getting paid a lot of money, and felt he had to change something to show that he's seriously doing work and not spending the entire work day on Reddit.

...or spending the entire work day on sportslogos.net like I do?

Archived