MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

Having SD on the home and San Diego on the road is redundant. It's like they can't be bothered to spell the whole thing out at home. I think SD would be fine for the road, or for both, but it's kinda silly to abbreviate your city at home but spell it on the road.

I get that the Yankees do this too but it's one of their charming quirks that's just been that way for 80 years or so.

The Tigers and the Nationals do this too. If it's charming for the Yanks there's no reason it can't be charming for another team.

I forgot about the Tigers - yeah it's good for them too. They (and the Yankees) are from an era where your "logo" or nickname went on your home uniform, and the road was really just to identify you to a crowd that may not be familiar with your other marks - just a plain city name was the norm for the time (I guess the Yankees spelled that out for a while too, but whatever.)

The Nationals look like trash with the W logo on the chest. Part of "charming" (a big part) is that it's old, and something you wouldn't normally see today. You can't manufacture charm.

That being said, I like the DC mark so much that I'd support that going on the home uniform - hey - this is all subjective, right?

I disagree about logos over the heart at home. An old look being kept today doesn't make it a grandfather clause situation, but rather that it's a standard baseball look. The Yankees, Tigers, Cubs, White Sox, Royals, A's, Reds, Pirates, Nationals, Diamondbacks, Padres, and Giants all do it presently, and the Indians, Red Sox, Rays, Astros, Rangers, Marlins, Phillies, Rockies, and Dodgers all doing it at some point. It's similar to the neck/plack piping, sleeve piping, sleeve patches, sock stripes, etc. I feel the same way about pinstripes, and don't understand some people's hesitance at times at people besides the New York teams wearing them.

My point had nothing to do with chest logos at home. It had to do with a chest logo that represents the city at home, and then also representing the city on the road, but differently.

I'd have no problem if they went with a SD logo both home and away. It's like why is it necessary to spell it out on one jersey but just abbreviate it on the other? It's inconsistent.

I'd be fine with SD or SAN DIEGO on both, PADRES home and SD road, PADRES home and SAN DIEGO road, or PADRES on both. Technically, I should be fine with a P at home and SD on the road, but a P at home would be dumb so no.

Especially since like the wishbone C is now Reds' property even though Cleveland once wore it, P on the chest is kind of Pittsburgh/Philadelphia domain. It would be weird.

Given that team's generally use cap logos when they put it on their chest, which is almost always location initials, it's about the same thing, but yeah. Either way, there is an oddness to it I never really thought of until you brought it up. I always saw that look as a logo rather than a city identifier, but it's true.

New home mockup is correct but no outline on the 'SD'

AUGH!!! This just seems to be getting worse and worse as we go on.

Dangit, Roman ninja'd me.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@nordiques any chance they throw yellow on the away and alt last minute ?

No idea. The current stuff I see is current. If the mlb or the Padres change things I won't know until they update the style guide.

Is the cap on the fauxback correct? If so, will the yellow panels in the cap be bell shaped or full colored yellow like how the Blue Jays and early-70s Braves did it? I'm hoping for the bell, be disappointed if both panels in front were fully yellow.

I like Phoenix Snakes. It's snappy, it goes well with Phoenix Suns. Even the redundant and everyone's-create-a-team-ever Phoenix Firebirds would be okay. But man, Arizona Diamondbacks and Tampa Bay Devil Rays in one expansion was a critical mass of ass.

It's like someone realized they play a sport on a diamond and Diamondbacks has diamond right there in the name and couldn't help themselves.

There is no such excuse for Devil Rays.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I like Phoenix Snakes. It's snappy, it goes well with Phoenix Suns. Even the redundant and everyone's-create-a-team-ever Phoenix Firebirds would be okay. But man, Arizona Diamondbacks and Tampa Bay Devil Rays in one expansion was a critical mass of ass.

It's like someone realized they play a sport on a diamond and Diamondbacks has diamond right there in the name and couldn't help themselves.

I believe this IS the actual reason for why that name was chosen. The snake thing yes, but the Diamond part of it was a reference to the playing field.

I believe this IS the actual reason for why that name was chosen. The snake thing yes, but the Diamond part of it was a reference to the playing field.

Which is why it sounds minor league. You don't see any NHL teams calling themselves Ice[blank].

PvO6ZWJ.png

No idea. The current stuff I see is current. If the mlb or the Padres change things I won't know until they update the style guide.

I asked a question about the D-Backs jerseys on page 47. I'd like it answered if possible, but the more I hear about these 2 jerseys, the more hatred i have for them.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

So let's get this straight. The Padres, as only the Padres could, will have FOUR, count 'em, FOUR different colored versions of the SD logo.

It often amazes me how bad these rebrands are. Anyone with common sense could make something better than this.

spacer.png

Which SD, the one on the hat or on the jersey? If there isn't one on the jersey that's going to look weird IMO.

I'm thinking he meant jersey because he's already said the cap will have a yellow "D" to go with the white "S".

It often amazes me how bad these rebrands are. Anyone with common sense could make something better than this.

It's the halfway measures. Rebrand or don't, but if you do it do it all the way.

But as always with the Padres, it's not that bad because they'll change again in three years. What a crappy franchise.

Also, I've talked about how dumb it was to adopt the Chargers' unpopular color scheme. Now the Chargers are likely gone to LA in the offseason! So the Chargers will be gone, but fans of San Diego will have to watch the Padres play in the crappy colors synonymous with the horrible owner who took the Chargers from them. Well, 25% of the time, anyway.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Is the cap on the fauxback correct? If so, will the yellow panels in the cap be bell shaped or full colored yellow like how the Blue Jays and early-70s Braves did it? I'm hoping for the bell, be disappointed if both panels in front were fully yellow.

Has GoNordiques disappeared? I'm hearing that since New Era in Derby doesn't make the bell shaped caps (they always farm that job out to China) and the game on-fields are supposed to be USA-made (not counting special promotions like a throwback day), the speculation is the cap will be full-on yellow on the front two panels and not a bell shaped design (which would be a major bummer).

So I guess at this point, it seems Seattle isn't making changes then (and there was never a report or rumor, just curiosity on my part). I figure we'd have heard by now.

I'd been a little curious with a few past facebook posts (including two more today) and thier Season Review PDF seeming to favor the Sunday alt and throwback colors. Maybe they just really like it for some reason, and that's all there is to it? If they aren't changing, good on them. Navy and teal needs to stay.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Which SD, the one on the hat or on the jersey? If there isn't one on the jersey that's going to look weird IMO.

I'm thinking he meant jersey because he's already said the cap will have a yellow "D" to go with the white "S".

I missed that. Sad, a white S and yellow D, to me, are not going to look good. In fact, if that was the case why would they use the all white version on the new All Star logo? Wondering.

I missed that. Sad, a white S and yellow D, to me, are not going to look good. In fact, if that was the case why would they use the all white version on the new All Star logo? Wondering.

They probably didn't use it because they didn't want to tip their hand on the new design.

There is a mockup on the new SD a few pages back. I'm inclined to agree with you that it probably will be an issue visually, but I really need to see it on a real hat.

Archived