MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Angels are a mess, but the roundrel isn't a problem for them because they have actual full team branding on the chest, rather than a hat logo. The problem is the A on the other sleeve. I was thinking more of the Nationals, who stupidly use the W on the chest and also stick it in a roundrel.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Having SD on the home and San Diego on the road is redundant. It's like they can't be bothered to spell the whole thing out at home. I think SD would be fine for the road, or for both, but it's kinda silly to abbreviate your city at home but spell it on the road.

I get that the Yankees do this too but it's one of their charming quirks that's just been that way for 80 years or so.

The Tigers and the Nationals do this too. If it's charming for the Yanks there's no reason it can't be charming for another team.

I forgot about the Tigers - yeah it's good for them too. They (and the Yankees) are from an era where your "logo" or nickname went on your home uniform, and the road was really just to identify you to a crowd that may not be familiar with your other marks - just a plain city name was the norm for the time (I guess the Yankees spelled that out for a while too, but whatever.)

The Nationals look like trash with the W logo on the chest. Part of "charming" (a big part) is that it's old, and something you wouldn't normally see today. You can't manufacture charm.

That being said, I like the DC mark so much that I'd support that going on the home uniform - hey - this is all subjective, right?

I disagree about logos over the heart at home. An old look being kept today doesn't make it a grandfather clause situation, but rather that it's a standard baseball look. The Yankees, Tigers, Cubs, White Sox, Royals, A's, Reds, Pirates, Nationals, Diamondbacks, Padres, and Giants all do it presently, and the Indians, Red Sox, Rays, Astros, Rangers, Marlins, Phillies, Rockies, and Dodgers all doing it at some point. It's similar to the neck/plack piping, sleeve piping, sleeve patches, sock stripes, etc. I feel the same way about pinstripes, and don't understand some people's hesitance at times at people besides the New York teams wearing them.

So, the Padres have added yellow to their identity. They will proudly feature yellow. But not on the road. And not on Fridays (brown), Saturdays (navy) and Sundays (camo). So they've added a new color to their identity to actually wear it 3-4 games a week, tops (not counting the fauxbacks which is an entirely different thing). If they actually go with that schedule, they'll only wear the yellow-accented home jersey 42 times next season. It's not as bad as the Braves only looking like the Braves on Mon-Thurs home games, since the Braves' home set is iconic and the Padres are going to look bad no matter what, but it's just as dumb.

With a day off, I don't think that's a small percentage. While I'm not a fan of too much with the alternates, I don't think that's overshadowing their regular look, especially when one of those alternates is a jersey that is more similar to what many people want them to wear (think Brewers).

With Nordiques new hints, and being caught reusing things by Vet, I made some changes. Let's see if this is more what's planned (or at least what was planned before these hopefully positive last minute changes).

2eevfqo.jpg

Change the outline of the road jersey wordmark to yellow instead of white... change the D to yellow on both away and Alt 1's caps... yellow D on the alt 1 jersey...making the piping yellow on the alt 1... and that would be a simple hit that introduces yellow without making it feel like they didn't finish adding all the yellow. The camo can be the one without the yellow because then its not actually camo.

Having SD on the home and San Diego on the road is redundant. It's like they can't be bothered to spell the whole thing out at home. I think SD would be fine for the road, or for both, but it's kinda silly to abbreviate your city at home but spell it on the road.

I get that the Yankees do this too but it's one of their charming quirks that's just been that way for 80 years or so.

The Tigers and the Nationals do this too. If it's charming for the Yanks there's no reason it can't be charming for another team.

I forgot about the Tigers - yeah it's good for them too. They (and the Yankees) are from an era where your "logo" or nickname went on your home uniform, and the road was really just to identify you to a crowd that may not be familiar with your other marks - just a plain city name was the norm for the time (I guess the Yankees spelled that out for a while too, but whatever.)

The Nationals look like trash with the W logo on the chest. Part of "charming" (a big part) is that it's old, and something you wouldn't normally see today. You can't manufacture charm.

That being said, I like the DC mark so much that I'd support that going on the home uniform - hey - this is all subjective, right?

I disagree about logos over the heart at home. An old look being kept today doesn't make it a grandfather clause situation, but rather that it's a standard baseball look. The Yankees, Tigers, Cubs, White Sox, Royals, A's, Reds, Pirates, Nationals, Diamondbacks, Padres, and Giants all do it presently, and the Indians, Red Sox, Rays, Astros, Rangers, Marlins, Phillies, Rockies, and Dodgers all doing it at some point. It's similar to the neck/plack piping, sleeve piping, sleeve patches, sock stripes, etc. I feel the same way about pinstripes, and don't understand some people's hesitance at times at people besides the New York teams wearing them.

My point had nothing to do with chest logos at home. It had to do with a chest logo that represents the city at home, and then also representing the city on the road, but differently.

I'd have no problem if they went with a SD logo both home and away. It's like why is it necessary to spell it out on one jersey but just abbreviate it on the other? It's inconsistent.

I'd be fine with SD or SAN DIEGO on both, PADRES home and SD road, PADRES home and SAN DIEGO road, or PADRES on both. Technically, I should be fine with a P at home and SD on the road, but a P at home would be dumb so no.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I read it on page 23 on this thread. There was a link from the Twins web page about them getting a red alternate jersey for next season. However, the link got taken down. That's all the info I have.

Yea it was talked about in a fan focus group not to be mentioned publicly at this point. Someone wrote about it. The team itself asked for them to take it down. Was only meant for the fan focus group to discuss at this stage.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

You don't think only wearing their primary look (navy with yellow) for 25% of their games is a small percentage? I don't know what to tell you.Nobody expects them to wear the home unis on the road, but this wouldn't be nearly as bad it they incorporated yellow into the road jerseys. "Our colors are navy and yellow. But only for a quarter of our games." For over half their games, they are a navy and white team. Then they're brown and yellow sometimes. This is a stupid mess.

"What are your team's colors?"

"Well, first, what day is it, and where are we playing?"

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It isn't just the removal of the Friar from the jersey, it's the complete removal that I don't like, if in fact that's true.

I suggested that the Friar could wear brown on a logo, as well as a sleeve patch. Wrote a friendly e-mail to the appropriate people to suggest as much.(Not pretending that they would care what I had to say). ;) Point being that it would be a small touch, such as the Royals' gold crown, the Dodgers' red front number, and the Pirates' red bandana. It could have tied the eras together, and really, provided some context on why exactly they have a brown jersey and cap in their rotation. :)

Their solution: Get rid of the Friar altogether, and also remove "Padres" from the home jerseys. :therock:

The most frustrating thing about the Reds' current look (and lack of a change) is they really could do a tweak to return to the classic C-Reds logo, block font on the wordmark, etc, while keeping the base of their uniforms. If they absolutely need some black somewhere for merchandise sales (they gotta pay Votto somehow), they could farm it out to an alternate, again using pre-1999 historically used logos, etc. Something like this maybe (but improved from this rough, amateurish attempt):

12208528_1703256953224036_16885890078089

So, the Padres have added yellow to their identity. They will proudly feature yellow. But not on the road. And not on Fridays (brown), Saturdays (navy) and Sundays (camo). So they've added a new color to their identity to actually wear it 3-4 games a week, tops (not counting the fauxbacks which is an entirely different thing). If they actually go with that schedule, they'll only wear the yellow-accented home jersey 42 times next season. It's not as bad as the Braves only looking like the Braves on Mon-Thurs home games, since the Braves' home set is iconic and the Padres are going to look bad no matter what, but it's just as dumb.

With a day off, I don't think that's a small percentage. While I'm not a fan of too much with the alternates, I don't think that's overshadowing their regular look, especially when one of those alternates is a jersey that is more similar to what many people want them to wear (think Brewers).

With Nordiques new hints, and being caught reusing things by Vet, I made some changes. Let's see if this is more what's planned (or at least what was planned before these hopefully positive last minute changes).

2eevfqo.jpg

Change the outline of the road jersey wordmark to yellow instead of white... change the D to yellow on both away and Alt 1's caps... yellow D on the alt 1 jersey...making the piping yellow on the alt 1... and that would be a simple hit that introduces yellow without making it feel like they didn't finish adding all the yellow. The camo can be the one without the yellow because then its not actually camo.

If that is the set it really shows a lack of attention to detail (not a surprise to us long time Padre fans). Keep it simple, make the SD yellow whenever on blue and keep the yellow outlines on blue letters, numerals, and piping. But I fear the above may be exactly what the team does.

Archived