Should NHL go back to white jerseys at home like old days?

Unocal

Honestly, why is this such a big deal? Whether the home team wears white or their coloured jersey, as a fan, you are there to watch the players play, not what they are wearing. Some might get a kick out of it, if all of a sudden, the home team wears white, but are you going to spend the whole game admiring that?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO. I am opposed to bringing white at home for the NHL. While we're at it, as I stated in a past post on this forum, the colored jerseys should be the new home jerseys for the NBA as well.

Besides, with how many third jerseys are not being white in color (and lucrative from a business standpoint), what's the use?

UBwef0L.png

Do I want them to go back to white at home? Yes.

Should they? No.

If I am a season ticket holder, I want my team in white, so I can see a greater variety of visitor uniforms. And that worked great in my youth when each team had two uniforms. If each team still had two uniforms, I'd be all over this.

But most ALTs are dark and teams like wearing ALTs at home. Plus, if teams had multiple road jerseys, they'd have to pack two uniforms for road trips...which I hear is a bigger deal than some folks may think.

This is the era we live in; everyone has a bunch of dark jerseys. So it makes sense to wear dark at home.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Colour vs colour? Now we want the best dressed sport to copy ideas from the worst? Things are perfect the way they are. The argument of the home team always wearing the same thing vs white holds little water in the age of HDTV. Besides it's the damn "C" of red! The fact the change coincided with the run that produced it was too perfect.

No switch, keep it as is.

Alternates as one reason, but my main reason is so a team can wear their colour at their home. Everybody has a white jersey, the dark jersey is where most of the difference is between teams and where a teams identity is based.

There was mention about the Whiteout looking bad with the Jets in dark, but it's just for the fans. The Ducks have handed out orange shirts before, but their (main and in playoffs) jersey isn't orange. Like Morgo said, what about the C of Red? The Saddledome is red and the Flames are in red, if we switched to white at home it would be the same argument, just flipped.

Sure let teams be able to wear white at home if they want, make sure they clear it with the visiting team awhile beforehand for the equipment guys, but keep dark as the main home jerseys.

I know the Ducks are scheduled to be wearing the thirds on the road a couple times this season so there should be some more white at home for you fans.

IbjBaeE.png

Maybe teams should go back to the way it was a LONG time ago and wear their 1 regular uniform and then if needed a contrasting jersey. It would give the league a vintage feel, (which everyone is after these days) and lets the team wear their favorite jersey most of the time. So then, for example, the only time the Red Wings would wear red is if their playing another white team, like the Blues or Bruins, and you could have the C of Red in Calgary, cause the home team would pick their jerseys, even if the hawks or Habs play there.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

No.

1) Teams should wear the better of the two jerseys at home and that normally ends up being the colored jersey.

2) Making white the home jersey eliminates creativity with alternate jerseys. Would you prefer Dallas have 2 different white jerseys or a green and black jersey? Pretty self-explanatory.

3) White is bland. I'd much rather go to an NHL game and see the home team I'm going to see in color.

But personally, I'd prefer going the soccer/football route by having a primary and a clash. That way there's no need to have white jerseys at all and then we can start seeing some color on color games.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Yes for everyone but Montreal.

Some teams look better in their colors -- Montreal, the Rangers and the Blackhawks are three. Some look better in their whites -- the Red Wings and most teams after the original Six.

Better Dark (Current Home): Canadiens, Rangers, Blackhawks, Ducks, Stars, Jets, Sabres, Avalanche Alt, Panthers, Predators, Devils, Islanders, Senators Alt, Penguins Alt, Sharks throwbacks , Lightning, Leafs, Canucks,

Better White (Current Away): Boston, Detroit, Minnesota, Edmonton, Columbus, Carolina, St. Louis, Caps white alt, Los Angeles, Calgary, Philadelphia,

Edit: Gave the Dark jersey list team names and the white team location... ?????

Also added some alts cause the rest of the sweaters suck.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

YES! I love the whites at home.Plus the last time my team won (1994!) they were in white at home.

IMO The Rangers whites are superior to the blues but the blues are still a top-5 look...

Agree, Rangers white is alot nicer then the blue jersey imo, you got more stripes and the shoulder accents as well.

Alright, I still say the home team should wear their coloured jersey at home, but I have given it some thought. Maybe, if people really want white at home, the NHL could switch over after the all-star game. I believe the CHL does this.

Another possibility, is for when a western conference team goes on a eastern conference road trip, they wear their coloured jersey on the road and vice-versa, otherwise the rest of the time, coloured at home. Since your rivals are likely to be a team within your conference, you defend your colours at home. Teams can also keep wearing their alternates throughout the entire season.

Ideally I'd like to see a sort of clash kit situation. Teams like the Canadiens, Rangers, and Sharks should wear their dark sweaters as often as possible. Teams like the Red Wings, Maple Leafs, and Jets though? They should be in white as often as possible. It's not as simple as one set universally making sense for the entire league.

Short of a clash kit system being implemented though? Darks at home is preferable. Most teams' primary sweater is their dark sweater. Alternate sweaters also have to be factored in. Fact is that they're not going anywhere, and white on the road makes it easier on the equipment managers. So whites on the road and darks at home until the league wisely adopts a clash system ;)

The argument that color at home would create the same matchup every time makes zero sense. Every teams white jersey is completely unique and there are other colors on the jersey too. you act like theyre all wearing plain white jerseys out there

you're being too pedantic. we're aware all of the white jerseys are unique, no one said they weren't, but you're still watching the same jerseys (overall) every game. If you're a Wings fan, you're always seeing red vs white, regardless of the trim colors.

It's not the 1970s or 1980s anymore. It's 2015. With the advent of a league-owned channel and all-encompassing cable and satellite packages (not to mention online streaming) you can watch any team play in any building. You don't need to force teams to play in white at home so fans can see the road team's coloured uniform. The circumstances that led to that making sense have long since past.

Re: Coyotes wearing away whites

Winnipeg Jets shoulda done that, especially during their season opener and playoffs. Whiteouts are supposedly whiteouts all the way, that's just me.

And to answer the main topic question, no. They look cool and it has some history factor into it, like the Flames and Habs' red sweaters. Initially, when I learning hockey, I was surprised that colored uniforms are worn at home. I was used to white/light colored uniforms worn at home and I always thought that was the norm. I learned later that the NFL also encourages teams to wear uniforms with color at home.

Archived