16-17 Soccer Kits

jaker52

5 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

As standalone designs, most of these are pretty nice. The issue lies in that each one is identical to the others.

Now, on the other hand, is the design bad by itself? Not really. It has contrasting sleeves, stripes down the sides, and a modern collar.

I'd nominate these below as crap design, to use your term. All are paint by numbers, like the new crop of kits...but the designs are piped out and have meaningless color panels. I wouldn't even qualify these as designs.

The issue is also that Nike has messed around with colour choices and the contracting socks mean that some kits have 4 colours when you take into account the pinstriping on the sleeves when viewed from a distance. For me, this takes away from the positives of the template.

As bad as the T90 templates are for being paint by numbers, at least they used the correct colours on each part of the kit. I would hate for Soccer to continue down this road and become like College Football where it is difficult to instantly recognise which teams are playing just from the uniforms/kits.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The more I see of that black kit, the more ready I am to buy a shirt. And I've never bought any US Soccer gear before, except a red DTOM cap ten years ago.  Not a Waldo, not a Bomb Pop, not a Centennial.  This black shirt did the trick. 

Given all the things you generally say you believe, this seems like the least likely outcome.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

5 hours ago, Mockba said:

Given all the things you generally say you believe, this seems like the least likely outcome.

Yeah, I shouldn't like it. But I really do. 

Of course, I probably would have already bought something if they had changed the badge.  I refused to get anything with that old badge, and I like the new one.  So that helps. 

And as as for the rest, the black has really grown on me.  I still have an intellectual problem with using anything other than a national color, but emotionally this works for me.   And it maybe shouldn't be surprising - I like bold strokes. All the little detailing and gewgaws that I usually hate disappear at distance, and you're left with a black shirt with one red sleeve and one blue. I'm also on record as saying that I like a certain amount of asymmetry (I think PSG's shirts are always better when the band goes up one side behind the badge rather than straight up the middle).

Conversely, the white does nothing for me.  The white pinstripes diminish the blue sleeves rather than enhancing them as black does.  Our bold colors become softer. And without those bold colors, and without the asymmetry, it falls apart.  Not to mention that the neck and side piping look better to me when they match the main body, providing a small accent, rather than introduce another color to the mix and pull focus. 

So does this shirt violate a couple of my personal design rules?  Yeah.  But it plays to other preferences, and on the whole, the more I see of it the more I like the gestalt. 

Sound strange?  Maybe Whitman was right. ;)

I still don't like that the US is going with white shorts at home. Leaving aside the fact that the secondary kit should be blue-white-blue rather than all-black, the home should be white-blue-white.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I used to agree re: navy shorts but shorts are one of the many places where the US hasn't been consistent -- they've worn all-white and white/navy in seemingly equal measure through the years. (And on a personal level, all-white leaves more room for my ideal away kit, which is red shirt/navy shorts, a la this and this.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I struggle with this concept, because I cant seem to find one.

What is the American soccer uniform supposed to look like?

Ie, the french tricolore(blue shirt, white short, red socks), germany white shirts black shorts, netherlands orange; england white

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

I struggle with this concept, because I cant seem to find one.

What is the American soccer uniform supposed to look like?

Ie, the french tricolore(blue shirt, white short, red socks), germany white shirts black shorts, netherlands orange; england white

That's the thing....there IS no right answer. The USMNST has no historic identity, IMO. At least not one like the yellow and blue of Brazil or the orange kits for the Netherlands. Too much changes to often. I, for one, would love to see a continuation of the red and white hooped shirts with blue shorts as the primary.

gYH2mW9.png

Yeah, the closest thing that's in place is a primarily white home with blue accents and an "out there" away. I would love a somewhat consistent element like hoops on the kits, but there isn't much tradition otherwise.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived