Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

When I was kid (early-mid 70s), I always thought the Broncos were a blue-and-red team.  The "Orange Crush" nickname made no sense to me.

I'm pretty sure Colorwerx posted a color sheet that showed they used a much redder shade from the late 60s until the late 70s.

Examples -- 

floyd_little_1973_10_07.jpgglittle.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don't think I'd go as far as "sky blue", but their royal has appeared pretty bright at times.  

nfl_g_elway11_576.jpg

cleveland_browns_broncos_4caqnybm_v0cgje

And check out this 1970s gamer from Helmet Hut:

little.jpg

I don't know if it's the lighting, or what, but that's crazy light.

I don't know the official nomenclature of that color.  I do remember, however, that back in the "Orange Crush" days of the '70s, folks would refer to the color as "Sky Blue".  Whatever it is, I think it makes for a great helmet color paired with certain shades of orange or red. ?

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

2 hours ago, leopard88 said:

When I was kid (early-mid 70s), I always thought the Broncos were a blue-and-red team.  The "Orange Crush" nickname made no sense to me.

I'm pretty sure Colorwerx posted a color sheet that showed they used a much redder shade from the late 60s until the late 70s.

Examples -- 

floyd_little_1973_10_07.jpgglittle.jpg

Same here ... I didn't know the Broncos were orange until I heard of the "Orange Crush" monicker.

Once again, I think camera quality has made huge advancements. I didn't realize the Bronco's wore orange untile the orange crush nickname of the late 70's. And I read every football related book and magazine I could find!

1 hour ago, Mitch B said:

I don't know the official nomenclature of that color.  I do remember, however, that back in the "Orange Crush" days of the '70s, folks would refer to the color as "Sky Blue".  Whatever it is, I think it makes for a great helmet color paired with certain shades of orange or red. ?

As it's been mentioned before that color was the stock royal blue when helmet manufacturers went with mold injected coloring. That's why the rams and giants went with navy. Their jersey trim and apparel during that era was definitely royal.

I can't link the Colorwerx swatches as photos, but he shows the Broncos using burnt orange from 1965-76, then switching to a lighter orange in 1977 (just in time for the "Orange Crush" year).

http://www.colorwerx.net/team-colors/football/national-football-league-1922-through-present/

http://www.colorwerx.net/team-colors/football/american-football-league-1960-through-1969/

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

12 hours ago, Mitch B said:

I never recall hearing that as sky blue (51 years old, FWIW).

It's where I sit.

Nope, authentic throwbacks.  The Packers wore solid white jerseys with green numbers as an alternate in 1938:

1938_Hinkle_wirephoto_front.jpg 1938_hinkle_back_small.jpg

Clarke Hinkle is wearing navy blue socks in that photo, but it's not clear what they wore in games.

The Packers also wore the white jerseys again in 1939, this time definitely with white socks, which was the basis for those Thanksgiving throwbacks in 2001.

1939_GreenBayPackers.jpg

10 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I never recall hearing that as sky blue (51 years old, FWIW).

Whatever it was called, I liked it, and I believe the shade of blue used in the '80s and '90s was lighter than that used in the '60s and '70s.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I never doubted they were orange either.  Even in the more reddish-orange era, they were identifiably orange

I'm not sure I'd go that far.  I'm obviously not the only one who didn't see it.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

I'm not sure I'd go that far.  I'm obviously not the only one who didn't see it.

Identifiably to me, obviously.  I didn't mean to imply that you guys were wrong in your impressions, only that there was never any question at all in my mind.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Identifiably to me, obviously.  I didn't mean to imply that you guys were wrong in your impressions, only that there was never any question at all in my mind.

I'll allow it for that limited purpose.  Objection overruled.

FWIW, "royal blue" for impregnated helmet shell colors, is still a comparably light blue.. most royal-helmet teams use a painted shell with a darker and more vibrant shade than the lighter/powdery-er "royal blue" plastic shell.. i haven't done a side-by-side with two actual helmets to compare, but i'd imagine its at least similar to the old Denver helmet color -- maybe slightly more "royal", but still similiar

Archived