2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

59 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The Oilers shouldn't change their logo, but I think it needs a few small helps here and there. 

oil.png

I just today noticed how the Oilers' logo has the lettering placed so weirdly and it has a different radius than the circle around it so I messed with it. I left the 1970's drop shadow because if you lose that you lose the essence of the logo attached to one of the sport's great dynasties, but I took out all of the wonky curves on the bottom and I gave it uniform spacing between the bottom of the oil drop and the circle, which matches the spacing of the orange in the oil drop the blue outline around it. 

Well, :censored: .  

I'm never gonna unsee that now.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, ColeJ said:

all of these "needs outlines" comments are just confusing to me... reminds me of the old joke in the concept forum "needs stripes."

the point of an outline is to improve legibility. the stars white on green and green on white numbers are completely legible. why complicate them with outline, simply because we have other colors available in our palette? 

one of the strongest points of the new stars uniforms is the fact that they kept the green and the black from touching each other, which kept the colors from bleeding together or playing off one another. adding a black outline around the numbers would just muddy things up.

yeah, they look simplistic... but they're numbers. they're clean. they're legible. they're simple. they fit the aesthetic. they fit the rules of the color scheme... it's just silly that all these years later we're still complaining about the lack of outlines.

when the uniforms were first unveiled, i thought they needed an outline too... but the more i've seen them, the more i'm convinced the stars made the right call.

so removing the outline from the hawks jerseys would make them look better?

21 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The Texas Stars wear the same font Dallas uses with a black outline, and tbh it clutters the font and doesn't  look as good. 

Hard to compare when the jerseys are completely different.

0918-tex15-jerseys.png

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I don´t think anyone can honestly say a black outline would not be an improvement

Edited to further prove my point.......

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Hard to compare when the jerseys are completely different.

0918-tex15-jerseys.png

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I don´t think anyone can honestly say a black outline would not be an improvement

The outline definitely works on the green jersey, but what about on the white?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I like how the Texas Stars didn't bother to outline the Captain's 'C,' showing just how unnecessary black is to those numbers.  The single layers work beautifully for Dallas.  It's the best their numbers have looked since on the aforementioned, 1993-94 set

Just now, Flames1fan said:

bull dogs copy it, chl copy it for the qhmjl, ohl and whl games vs Russia 

I wish the Bulldogs would have gone with something more original. I think their white jersey is a mess. I like the CHL jerseys though, I really do.

6 hours ago, Thomas said:

so removing the outline from the hawks jerseys would make them look better?

exactly an outline isnt necessarily there to always make the numbers more legible. sometimes it just makes them look better. at this rate we might as well make all the number single colored with his logic. 

4 hours ago, Thomas said:

I can´t find an example to use, but again i believe it would improve the jersey. 

But that's just it, until there's a good example, there's no evidence that it would work. If anything, I think it would be a bigger complaint, a functional complaint, because the numbers would be less legible.

Green and black blend at distance. On a green jersey, the outline bleeds into the jersey, and the white number stands out. On a white jersey, the outline bleeds into the number, making for a fatter, less legible number. I've seen it happen in my own broadcast career, and it's annoying and makes things more difficult. 

Unless you can show that it works better on both home AND AWAY, then I think it's not a good idea.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived