2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

Did they lift those sleeve stripes straight from the Bruin's alternate?  Did they lift the half-assed hem from the Coyotes?  Everything about this jersey screams 'tacky,' from the oversized 'city of champions' patch to the decision to jump the 'shoulder number' bandwagon.  It's hard to imagine more than a minute of thought going into this design.  
F

No, they didn't lift them straight from the Bruins. It's a stripe. It goes on jerseys. 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, eww7633 said:

No, they didn't lift them straight from the Bruins. It's a stripe. It goes on jerseys. 

No :censored:.  Doesn't change the fact they look ridiculously similar.  There are a whopping two teams wearing Athletic Gold, Black and White...  It shouldn't be difficult to make the sleeve stripes on their Winter Classic uniforms look different.

On 11/21/2016 at 5:40 PM, daniel75 said:

I feel those logos are more timeless, whereas the Isles logo is forever trapped in the 70's. Though i must admit i love the Isles logo and colors, (one of my favorites) despite knowing full well that their logo is horrible. Seriously if that logo came out today it would be trashed, design wise it's just bad, but i still love it.

I agree with daniel75. The Islanders logo has more thought into into it than the Canadiens, Bruins, Oilers and Flyers. Ill give the Sabres credit for coming up with a duel-meaning logo. The only thing that's trapped in the 70's (if you want to say it) is the color orange. If it was red instead of orange, it would look timeless.

8 hours ago, joekono said:

I agree with daniel75. The Islanders logo has more thought into into it than the Canadiens, Bruins, Oilers and Flyers. Ill give the Sabres credit for coming up with a duel-meaning logo. The only thing that's trapped in the 70's (if you want to say it) is the color orange. If it was red instead of orange, it would look timeless.

I don't think you actually read what daniel75 typed.

10 hours ago, Morgo said:

No :censored:.  Doesn't change the fact they look ridiculously similar.  There are a whopping two teams wearing Athletic Gold, Black and White...  It shouldn't be difficult to make the sleeve stripes on their Winter Classic uniforms look different.

I don't know why this is difficult. The Bruins have two stripes on each sleeve, including one just below the shoulder seam, which is unique to the league at this time. The Penguins have one stripe on each sleeve, where stripes traditionally go. As long as you're crowing about this supposed ripping-off of Boston, you might as well demand that Detroit sue the Penguins for trademark infringement. Your argument will gain just as much traction. 

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As a fan, I really like it. Drop the "CITY OF CHAMPIONS" text from the patch and this is a perfect alternate jersey for the Pens. I wonder how it would look with a solid black triangle behind the penguin, rather than dropping it completely.

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

I don't know why this is difficult. The Bruins have two stripes on each sleeve, including one just below the shoulder seam, which is unique to the league at this time. The Penguins have one stripe on each sleeve, where stripes traditionally go. As long as you're crowing about this supposed ripping-off of Boston, you might as well demand that Detroit sue the Penguins for trademark infringement. Your argument will gain just as much traction. 

Yes, the Bruins have two stripes and the Penguins have one.  Still, both designs use solitary athletic gold stripes, the same width, on a black background.  The critique of this jersey was not so much about one team ripping off another, but the overall lack of originality.  With all the history the team has, they could have done something unique that really knocked it out of the park.  Instead, we get a slapdash, albeit traditional, template with a butchered skating penguin.

3 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

I love that jersey. Full time thirds please. And yeah that "City of Champions" is pretty pretentious isn't it? 

Google "City of Champions".

I think they added it because of the Cup win last year and likely wouldn't keep it if the jersey is used as a full time third going forward. It's a little bit of fan service.

The City of Champions patch seems there entirely to troll Philly. It's a reminder that they have more Cup, in addition to using the keystone. An emblem the Flyers have been using on and off for a few years now.

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't think you actually read what daniel75 typed.

I did read what he typed and my only point was that every logo he mentioned was from right after the 4 team WHA expansion. The Canadiens,Bruins,Oilers and Sabres are easily identifiable logos. I think most of us can say any logo after the expansion explosion, has to be questioned.Every time a see a list of best logos in the league, it's usually the same. I will say I hate teams winning the Stanley Cup terrible versions of their uniforms(SEE KINGS) but no one cares except us jersey nuts.

On 11/22/2016 at 9:14 AM, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

http://oi68.tinypic.com/236yv9.jpg

Glad to see fisherman get some love. I don't think it was as bad of a look as people make it out to be. The classic logo had that 10 year run with 4 straight cups attached to it and the fisherman logo came about during the worst period in the history of the franchise. I do wish it could have stayed as a minor league logo or at the very least they could have kept the lighthouse logo. There was nothing wrong with the lighthouse logo. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

1 hour ago, Coast2CoastAM2006 said:

Glad to see fisherman get some love. I don't think it was as bad of a look as people make it out to be. The classic logo had that 10 year run with 4 straight cups attached to it and the fisherman logo came about during the worst period in the history of the franchise. I do wish it could have stayed as a minor league logo or at the very least they could have kept the lighthouse logo. There was nothing wrong with the lighthouse logo. 

similiar things as to the sabres black/red and slug era.

The sabres script during the slug era was fantastic, and the B shoulder patches during both eras was fantastic and should have been kept.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The City of Champions patch seems there entirely to troll Philly. It's a reminder that they have more Cup, in addition to using the keystone. An emblem the Flyers have been using on and off for a few years now.

Yeah, but the Flyers hardly own it. It's a straightforward symbol of the state, one that hasn't been particularly associated with the Flyers above anything else. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, but the Flyers hardly own it. It's a straightforward symbol of the state, one that hasn't been particularly associated with the Flyers above anything else. 

Yeah, Pennsylvania is the keystone state. Philly has been halfheartedly using it, and now Pittsburgh is trying to claim it for their own, and it plays into the whole Pittsburgh-Philadelphia rivalry that has literally been going on since the 1700s. It's petty and it's fun and it's silly and it's trolling and that's exactly what a rivalry should be.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived