2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

I like the Fisherman jerseys as well (the colour scheme is particularly striking) but seeing those logos side-by-side just illustrates how much more effective their current logo is.  The colours are more balanced and fussy details don't get lost at a distance, like the razor thin lines on the net.

Unpopular opinion: this was great...

VY4aUWs.jpg

No, you've got it backwards. The Fisherman logo wasn't the bad part of those jerseys. The jerseys themselves were the bad part of the jerseys. If you put the Fisherman on a normal jersey, it definitely improves the look.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Morgo said:

I like the Fisherman jerseys as well (the colour scheme is particularly striking) but seeing those logos side-by-side just illustrates how much more effective their current logo is.  The colours are more balanced and fussy details don't get lost at a distance, like the razor thin lines on the net.

Unpopular opinion: this was great...

VY4aUWs.jpg

I like the addition of the aqua/turquoise to the color scheme.

1 hour ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

The current logo looks like something a corporation would use.

I really don't see it. It's not refined enough to feel corporate. The current Isles logo feels dated, but that works for them. Long Island isn't as polished as New York City. Their team having a bit of an uneven and cluttered logo works. It's like something came up with for a minor league team on Long Island and they just promoted it for use in the NHL when they got a franchise because that was quicker/cheaper. Of course that's not what happened, but it has that feel. Which is a good thing in this case.

Put me down as another person who likes the fisherman logo (believe I brought this up before in unpopular opinion thread before too.)

The asymmetric/wavy numbers on the jerseys were a little much but I love that logo. The lighthouse logo that accompanied it was fantastic too and should be brought back as an alternate/shoulder patch in some way. 

12 hours ago, hockey week said:

I still think there should be an Islanders farm team based around this idea. 

islandersminorleaguefisherman_zpsc4f8457

I mean, it's not like the Sound Tigers have such a strong identity. If they move them to LI, I'd be open to building an AHL team on the Gorton's.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Regarding the Islanders' logo, all they had to do when they moved to Brooklyn was a simple, barely noticeable tweak:

BrooklynIslanders.jpg

You've got the whole of Long Island on there, including Brooklyn, and the "I" points at the location of Barclays Centre.

No need to mess with one of the best logos of the last 40-odd years.

The Islanders' mistake was going all-in on the Fisherman jerseys. If they'd been part of the first wave of third jerseys and kept their regular uniforms then the fan base would've been much more receptive. 

But it was the mid 90s and we didn't know you could half roll-out a new look. Back then it was all or nothing. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 minutes ago, Discogod said:

Regarding the Islanders' logo, all they had to do when they moved to Brooklyn was a simple, barely noticeable tweak:

BrooklynIslanders.jpg

You've got the whole of Long Island on there, including Brooklyn, and the "I" points at the location of Barclays Centre.

No need to mess with one of the best logos of the last 40-odd years.

And the first S would be nicely framed by Jamaica Bay. 

The fact that the Islanders' logo explcitly excludes where they actually play is almost too stupid for words.  

We should note for people not from the New York area that the term "Long Island" has, ever since the 1950s, meant exclusively Nassau and Suffolk counties; the colloquial use of "Long Island" had thus drifted from the literal geographical meaning.  Before that time, up through the early 20th Century, places in Queens and sometimes even Brooklyn were frequently referred to as being on Long Island, hence Long Island City in Queens and Long Island University in Brooklyn.  So New York City and Long Island had an overlap in Queens and Brooklyn; but, by the time the Islanders were founded in the early 1970s, "Long Island" referred only to that part of the island which is outside New York City.

The current logo that excises Queens and Brooklyn from the island of Long Island was entirely appropriate for a team that cultivated a fanbase comprised mainly of non-New Yorkers (it would not be incorrect to say "people hostile to New York City").  

But the Islanders' job upon moving into New York City was to position Brooklyn as part of Long Island; they needed to reclaim the older meaning of the term "Long Island", the literal meaning.  With their arena located at a terminal of the Long Island Rail Road, and shared with the athletic teams from Long Island University, one would think that they'd have had a good chance of doing this if they had tried.   But they didn't give that one bit of effort, which is a shame.

Anyway, thanks for showing us once again this great update.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Here's my whirl at an Islanders tweak. I changed the lettering to Tungsten, which is a good font, with the intention of making it their own the way the Nets did with theirs. Oh and now the puck is airborne.

145ZyHm.jpg

6QGNfE7.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Love your wordmark.  Clean, simple, yet distinctive.  Really fits the spirit of the original.

I also like your logo, although the white outline is still too wide.  I know that's the way it's been done in the past, but as long as you're cleaning things up it shouldn't be any thicker than the orange.

17 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

The fisherman has a personalty. Character. The Atlantic Blue color with the teal and white gives the uniforms a nautical feel. Waves for stripes, lighthouses on the shoulders. It makes me feel like I'm on the coast looking out at the mighty Atlantic Ocean with the salty sea air filling my nostrils and feeling the foamy waves splashing up against me.

Wait. Do octopuses even have nostrils?

UNLESS you've just been lying about your species the whole time and you're actually a...

Spoiler

octopotamus.jpg

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Only for warm-ups though. *sigh*

They'll also be wearing their original Forum Blue jerseys tonight, the Gold version on December 10, and the Gretzky era Black jersey on January 7. They also will probably wear something different on New Year's Eve when they celebrate the Miracle on Manchester.

I may be wrong but I always thought if the Islanders logo had "New York" on top in an arched font with the stick logo still intact, it'd be a great logo. Just make it a perfect roundal logo and the world is all happy. 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Archived