2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, ltp74 said:

Maybe the Pens, Flyers and NHL want nothing to do with the Pennsylvania State University, I could totally see a good chunk of the Penn State faithful in the crowd making the whole event about Joe Paterno.

The NHL wanted to play there, but PSU asked for some exorbitant amount of money to host the event so the NHL said "thanks but no thanks" and took the game to Pittsburgh. 

And why would they have made the game about Paterno? The game would've been packed with hockey fans from Philly and Pittsburgh, not people rooting for PSU Football?  That's a dumb comment. 

15 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

The NHL wanted to play there, but PSU asked for some exorbitant amount of money to host the event so the NHL said "thanks but no thanks" and took the game to Pittsburgh. 

And why would they have made the game about Paterno? The game would've been packed with hockey fans from Philly and Pittsburgh, not people rooting for PSU Football?  That's a dumb comment. 

If the NHL distributed tickets the same way they did for the Winter Classic at Heinz Field a decent amount of tickets would have gone to Penn State season ticket holders, plus there's Pens & Flyers fans who are also Penn State diehards.

It's always about Paterno, putting the statute back up, letting Sue use the campus pool and so on to a large number of Penn State fans. I'm sure there's Penn State fans who'd petition for this seasons wins and possible Rose Bowl appearance be added to Paterno's page in the history books.

Watching closely at the Panthers/Blackhawks game, Florida's unis give me a bigtime Atlanta Thrashers vibe from a distance.  It's the gold around the numbers.  Can't shake it.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The numbers should be red on the road but other than that they looked good in action. The chest stripe not going all the way around turns out to work just fine.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 hours ago, Thomas said:

Stars green jersey only look good one day of the year. And their numbers look awful, single layer with no black outline look cheap as hell. 

Dallas-Stars-John-Klingberg-(No-Jersey-L

They wanted to have consistency by not having the black touch the green (excluding logos).

11 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

exactly, no excuse as to why they only use white numbers. they have black and silver which could look great as trim. and their striping pattern sucks. 

Oh right, i forgot about silver, then the number could be white, silver and black. That i think would look pretty amazing! Or they could just stick to white and black. Either way it would be a lot better then now . You also get a nice 3d effect with multiple colored numbers compared to single layer.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

all of these "needs outlines" comments are just confusing to me... reminds me of the old joke in the concept forum "needs stripes."

the point of an outline is to improve legibility. the stars white on green and green on white numbers are completely legible. why complicate them with outline, simply because we have other colors available in our palette? 

one of the strongest points of the new stars uniforms is the fact that they kept the green and the black from touching each other, which kept the colors from bleeding together or playing off one another. adding a black outline around the numbers would just muddy things up.

yeah, they look simplistic... but they're numbers. they're clean. they're legible. they're simple. they fit the aesthetic. they fit the rules of the color scheme... it's just silly that all these years later we're still complaining about the lack of outlines.

when the uniforms were first unveiled, i thought they needed an outline too... but the more i've seen them, the more i'm convinced the stars made the right call.

Has anyone ever tried making the numbers on the white jersey, black? 

Because ColeJ is absolutely right, the two colors can't touch without issue. So if there was an outline on the green jersey, the white number still stands out, but put a black number on the white jersey, and the number suddenly gets "fatter" as the colors bleed together. 

But I haven't seen anybody play with the one-color of those numbers.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

6 hours ago, ColeJ said:

all of these "needs outlines" comments are just confusing to me... reminds me of the old joke in the concept forum "needs stripes."

the point of an outline is to improve legibility. the stars white on green and green on white numbers are completely legible. why complicate them with outline, simply because we have other colors available in our palette? 

one of the strongest points of the new stars uniforms is the fact that they kept the green and the black from touching each other, which kept the colors from bleeding together or playing off one another. adding a black outline around the numbers would just muddy things up.

yeah, they look simplistic... but they're numbers. they're clean. they're legible. they're simple. they fit the aesthetic. they fit the rules of the color scheme... it's just silly that all these years later we're still complaining about the lack of outlines.

when the uniforms were first unveiled, i thought they needed an outline too... but the more i've seen them, the more i'm convinced the stars made the right call.

This right here, a million times over.

When I designed these numbers I did do some versions with outlines, but the more I looked at them, the more I thought the outlines did nothing for the legibility. I was really happy when the team chose to go without outlines. 

One of my favorite uniforms are the Bears throwbacks with the solid orange numbers on a navy jersey. More teams should look at numbers without outlines.

Outlines on alpha fonts make even less sense from a design/legibility standpoint.

The Oilers shouldn't change their logo, but I think it needs a few small helps here and there. 

oil.png

I just today noticed how the Oilers' logo has the lettering placed so weirdly and it has a different radius than the circle around it so I decided to mess around with it. I left the 1970's drop shadow because if you lose that you lose the essence of the logo attached to one of the sport's great dynasties, but I took out all of the wonky curves on the bottom and gave it uniform spacing between the bottom of the oil drop and the circle, which matches the spacing of the orange in the oil drop with the blue outline around it. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 hours ago, ColeJ said:

that can be said for any team. Its white on green a little black isnt going to make it harder to read. 

Archived