Greatest Football Helmets of All Time

TheRealCamHart

On 9/26/2016 at 4:25 PM, Ben in LA said:

I'm referring to the shell.  So nice when worn with throwback unis from the leather helmet era...you screwed up NFL with your one helmet rule!

IMG_1132.JPG

For lack of seeing this helmet is why I hate the one-helmet rule in the NFL. It's ridiculous! 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IDK, I always wound up with the original version of that facemask. Several players used it (and the original version) through the years like Earl Campbell, Franco Harris, Randy White, John Hannah, etc. It was pretty popular in the 70's and 80's.

franco-harris.jpg

john-hannah.jpg

RandyWhite.jpg

earl_campbell_1981.jpg

4 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i appreciate the history of football as much as the next guy, but my favorite helmet design by far, from the last 100 years is the Riddell Revo Speed. all the facemask options look great too

riddell-revolution-speed-adult-side_9_1.pngandrew-luck-nfl-afc-wild-card-playoff-cincinnati-bengals-indianapolis-colts-850x560.jpg940x.jpg

I have this helmet, and I love everything about it! From the facemask that holds my mouthguard easily to the inside padding. I love this helmet! 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

My five faves, two from the NFL, three from the CFL:

997.gif

pt034et9e0bd4ft9fygsew7ar.gif (While the Chargers have morn many iterations of this helmet design; this is my fave because of the nice balance between blue and yellow.)

48116_01_lg.jpg

sask%206.JPG

http://nebula.wsimg.com/0c20197383f6cb5702477b5f9d65dbc6?AccessKeyId=DDCFF5399DADF1844636&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

UBwef0L.png

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:32 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

i appreciate the history of football as much as the next guy, but my favorite helmet design by far, from the last 100 years is the Riddell Revo Speed. all the facemask options look great too

riddell-revolution-speed-adult-side_9_1.pngandrew-luck-nfl-afc-wild-card-playoff-cincinnati-bengals-indianapolis-colts-850x560.jpg940x.jpg

I also like the  Riddell Revo Speed and the Speed Flex. It's amazing how much better it looks than the earlier Revolution, which may well be the ugliest helmet ever made!

20 hours ago, DouglasQuaid said:

I think the Vsr4 is the best helmet design in the league. Its unfortunate how its being fazed out but I understand its because of safety. However the Air XP is a great modern design.

[pic]

[pic]

[pic]

Yeah, it super sucks that old helmets are disappearing in favor of helmets that are objectively safer.

I for one, am all for improved safety of helmets. I think he just meant that some people prefer the looks of a more "traditionally" styled helmet. That being said, there is a place for style in helmet design. Some players, especially younger ones, would refuse to wear the safest helmet ever made if it was butt ugly. I know that as a teenager you couldn't have talked me into wearing Willie Lanier's customized Riddell RK with that strip of foam attached down the center!

Lanier.jpg

lanierRiddellRK.jpg

Archived