The Sports Media Thread

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/22/business/media/bill-simmons-the-ringer-black-employees.html

On the one hand, I can see Bill Simmons' intentionality around providing opportunities to Black and POC voices via the Ringer and Grantland: Shea Serrano, Wesley Morris, Rembert Brown, Danny Chau, Jason Concepcion and maybe others I can't think of right now. However, it's those few among a sea of white voices, and a particularly deep sea when it comes to interacting with Simmons himself (Russilo, House, Jacko, Chris Ryan).

I can see how Simmons would think he does a good job with diverse hiring. But all of that is undone -- nearly completely -- by having Russillo on his BLM podcast (I'm assuming content I haven't listened to) complaining about looters. He needed to have different voices there.

Also, more from former Grantland write Dave Schilling:

I never disliked Russillo before that podcast, but I do now. He was completely :censored:ing useless on that particular episode and was both -sidesing things (he thinks he's so smart for always taking the "people are incapable of understanding nuance and always want to take one side or the other when the issue is much more complicated" position. No doy, meathead. You're not smarter than everyone or the first person to point out that a person can support two seemingly competing stances. Simmons was just his usual vacuous self. Kept comparing the protests to things in sports, which felt disrespectful to the moment and came across as incredibly tone deaf. Neither one of them seemed to grasp the enormity of this particular movement.

To their credit they've both said they didn't give it the tone or respect it deserved and Simmons has had black activists and athletes on his shows to discuss it since then, but still. It was a bad look and now I can't shake Russillo's agro attitude.

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 6/23/2020 at 2:11 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Related to my above post, ESPN has cut out the NFL Washington team's name and logo in this story:https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/29347239/ranking-how-all-32-nfl-teams-draft-quarterbacks-tom-brady-patriots-brady-quinn-browns:

[image redacted]

This isn't replicated on their NFL main page though, which still features the existing name and logo. Maybe change will filter through the site?

I can tell you that Bill Barnwell has made a conscious choice to not say "Redskins" going back at least as far as his Grantland days. Whether use of their logo still pops up is something I can't answer - I seriously tailed off reading him after Grantland shut down, for better or worse - but there's definitely some precedent among their writers for this going back for some time. I tend to agree with @Digby in that this is probably left as a "do as you wish" kind of deal for now, probably because ESPN doesn't want to issue an edict on this knowing that, like almost everything else, it will be politicized if they do.

spacer.png

Snyder will probably have the NFL give ESPN a call. Can't have an official partner of the league playing the Voldemort game with them. Tiptoeing around it is one thing, doing a listicle with the name and logo missing probably drew too much attention. 

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Snyder will probably have the NFL give ESPN a call. Can't have an official partner of the league playing the Voldemort game with them. Tiptoeing around it is one thing, doing a listicle with the name and logo missing probably drew too much attention. 

As the home of Sunday night NFL games since 2006, NBC is also "an official partner" of the NFL, yet the NBC-owned Pro Football Talk website has gotten away with making the bare minimum of mentions of the Washington team's nickname for many years now.  These days, pretty much the only places in which one will find that nickname mentioned within PFT are in tags for articles and in comments by some readers of the site.

16 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

As the home of Sunday night NFL games since 2006, NBC is also "an official partner" of the NFL, yet the NBC-owned Pro Football Talk website has gotten away with making the bare minimum of mentions of the Washington team's nickname for many years now.  These days, pretty much the only places in which one will find that nickname mentioned within PFT are in tags for articles and in comments by some readers of the site.

See, the difference is that Sunday Night Football is for good teams so the issue doesn't come up as much.

Monday Night Football, OTOH......

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Canes’ unusual contract offer to broadcasters could lead to John Forslund’s exit (The Athletic, so paywall)

The colour guy, Tracy, agreed to a contract earlier this week, but Forslund is a free agent as of Wednesday.

Multiple sources said the Hurricanes have been unwilling to budge with the terms they are offering - terms that broadcasting professionals have called "unconventional" at best and "unprecedented" at worst.

While the Hurricanes are facing an unprecedented time and business outlook, the new contracts would make the formerly salaried broadcasters independent contractors with a base stipend and a bonus scale directly tied to attendance, according to a source. If the Hurricanes start 2020-21 - assuming there is a season - without fans, a source said the broadcasters are looking at a pay cut of more than half of last season's salaries.

Why would the salaries of the TV broadcasters be directly tied into attendance, that seems backwards no? Like in theory, the better they are at broadcasting means the less people that would be at games.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

Wow, what a surprise, another great "analytics-minded" organization is really just being cheap. 

Forslund was wasted on Raleigh anyway; no one watches Hurricanes games and the other guy is a dolt. It'd be funny if he went to Tampa Bay, following Rick Peckham there as he did in Hartford. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Sport said:

This was only a matter of time - a bunch of ex-Deadspin writers created a new site and they're going for the paid subscription model. 

https://defector.com/

I might give it a go. There's some good talent on that roster. 

Yes, but...$100/year to make obvious Tom Brady jokes in the comment section? I don't know about that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

70/year for the lower plan if you just want to read, which is fine. I'm sure it'll have the usual annoying bits about Deadspin but that's alright, still a net positive I think. I'll pay extra if they fire Billy Haisley.

The 19 staff members will be paid as the money comes in, and they can vote out the editor in chief with a two-thirds majority. 

God I wish I had a job like this. Can you imagine what the media landscape would look like if everyone did this? Probably better.

I'm hoping they follow The Athletic's trend of having about 30 different opportunities during the calendar year to pay below half-price and perhaps I'll join up.

• Like 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

You know I recall in this thread saying something about people from Deadspin going out and proving that there is still an interest in sports coverage with a progressive take. Looks like they've gone out and done it. Let's see how Deadspin and Defector are doing a year from now. Would be interesting to see it unfold. Tbf, Outkick would probably be a better comparison considering they are the right-wing counterpart to Defector.

Edited by Red Comet