Best and worst looking jersey sponsorships in soccer

steven919

There are times when the sponsor really fits in well with the jersey as a whole. It's usually when there is no sponsor logo and the font color matches the rest of the kit. 90's ManU is a good example I think.

Eric-Cantona-Manchester-United-home-1994.jpg

But of course, there are times when the sponsorship really clashes with an otherwise good kit and destroy the look. Borussia Dortmund has a great look overall, but fact that the Evonik text is in red and that there is a distracting logo is a real bummer. These kits would be so much better if Evonik was in black text and they had no logo. There are even worse sponsorships though and I hope to see those in the thread.

0,,18633298_303,00.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A thorny subject indeed. I'd prefer shirts to be sponsor free, but if we're going to have them then some thought should at least be given to how they look on the shirt. Clashing colours and big ugly patches are a no-no.

An example that immediately springs to mind of one application that does work is Ajax's old sponsorship with bank ABN AMBRO...

sn_zpsetwtfh95.jpg

With the logo running down along the stripe rather than straight across the chest, it makes for a more visually interesting and distinctive shirt - which I guess helps the sponsor be more memorable as well.

It'd still be better without, mind. :P

2 hours ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Something about this always looked good to me. Maybe it's that it looks a bit like a front number. Maybe it's that it's visually plain and easy to ignore. 

O2-ends-Arsenal-sponsorship.jpg

Then you have that horrible #3 that is on Ireland's gear. People still confuse it as the actual number font rather than a cell phone conglomerate.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, pepis21 said:

Liverpool with Carlsberg is an another classic:

liverpool_dudek_gallery__417x550.jpg

Well the Carlsberg logo actually looks kinda like a sports script, so that helps.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

All great examples. Maybe biased but always liked Chelsea's kit with Samsung.

20130607-new-chelsea-home-kit-2014-st.jp

Chelsea looked great (well as far as ads on jerseys can be great) with Samsung. It's just not the same with Yokohama Tyres.

2011-12 Inter looked the best in the 20 seasons of Pirelli sponsorship.

2011-12-inter-milan-home-shirt-10634-1_z

The season with Pirelli in gold looked tacky and the years with basically a black shirt with only one wide blue center stripe don't work as well.

1 hour ago, Uglybus said:

image.jpegtoo soon?

Since the subject specifically says "in soccer" too off topic.

And since I don't want to be off topic, I'll say my beloved Oxford United's sponsor this past season

homeshirt.jpg

Wasn't horrible, but dropping the green chevron, and having the LIONTRUST text in the same Navy as the club crest instead of Black would have improved them 10,000-fold.

In MLS, I think DC United works well because white is one of their colors, so Leidos doesn't clash

dcunitedjerseyfrontback.jpg.jpg?null

Whereas, the Philadelphia Union's Bimbo sponsorship looks awful because the colors just do not work at all with that logo

PhillyJersey-640x320.jpg

I was about to post Philadelphia Union. Gorgeous jersey, completely destroyed by the sponsor. Loud colors and bulky, tacky font.

On a more positive note, look at how perfectly the sponsor blends into KC's jersey. There is a sponsor logo, but it has the same colors as the rest of the jersey and it even looks a little like the club crest. The font is thin, elegant and unobtrusive.

maxresdefault.jpg

Swansea City came to mind as a really bad one:

GettyImages-502086132.jpg

It's mostly because I prefer more linear wordmarks rather than full logos or even wordmarks filling some other shape (linear is just much cleaner), and the big diamond shape just looks really clunky and cumbersome on the front. 

As as far as favorites go, for some reason I've always really liked Barbasol for the Crew:

kei-kamara-columbus-crew-mls-cup-final_3

I think it's because 1) as aforementioned, linear is cleaner, and 2) the more modern font works with the yellow and black so well. It seems to fit the Crew's identity seamlessly.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

29 minutes ago, steven919 said:

I was about to post Philadelphia Union. Gorgeous jersey, completely destroyed by the sponsor. Loud colors and bulky, tacky font.

On a more positive note, look at how perfectly the sponsor blends into KC's jersey. There is a sponsor logo, but it has the same colors as the rest of the jersey and it even looks a little like the club crest. The font is thin, elegant and unobtrusive.

maxresdefault.jpg

Was just about to post this. Great Example! It also helps that they change it with each jersey so it never really looks that out of place. Sporting-KC-Away-Kit-2016.jpgsporting-kc-2015-adidas-white-third-jersey-5.jpg

Archived