Which team has the worst identity?

Ark

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On June 16, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Michael Bolton said:

Came into this thread expecting a dozen "Miami Marlins" replies.

Was pleased this wasn't the case.

I might not love everything about the Marlins' identity, but they do have a cohesive one. 

Worlds better than the Padres or Brewers, who each have a single good look and whole locker room of bad looks right now, resulting in a conflicted, cluttered mess. 

21 hours ago, Mitch B said:

NFL: San Diego Chargers      

NBA: LA Clippers, OKC Thunder, Utah Jazz

MLB: San Diego Padres, TB Rays

NHL: Vancouver Canucks

International Soccer: Team USA

Chargers??  To me, that identity seems pretty strong.

3 hours ago, Harmening said:

Chargers??  To me, that identity seems pretty strong.

Are they a navy team or a powder blue team?  The white helmet looks good with the powder blue uniforms, but it looks quite boring with navy uniforms.  The combining of eras for one uniform doesn't work for me.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

51 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Brooklyn Nets.

Everything about them says, "Generic basketball team from Brooklyn." I don't even know why they bothered keeping the Nets nickname, which has always been a dumb name anyways.

The stupid name is the only problem - the set is otherwise excellent. 

1 hour ago, Mitch B said:

Are they a navy team or a powder blue team?  The white helmet looks good with the powder blue uniforms, but it looks quite boring with navy uniforms.  The combining of eras for one uniform doesn't work for me.

I see what you're saying.  Understood.

The Clippers are so far ahead of everyone else it's not even close. It's the perfect mix of a bad colour scheme, a "past its best-by date" trend, a terrible logo set, and just plain laziness.

The rest of the "big four," just for shiggles.

NHL- Carolina Hurricanes. Their identity just compounds on the badness. Trying too hard to look like an Original Six team? Check. Mismatched home, road, and alternate looks? Check. Bad logo? Check. Every other badly dressed NHL team has at least something working for them in comparison to the Hurricanes.

MLB- San Diego Padres. The Milwaukee Brewers are approaching them in terms of an identity being an overall mess, but at least we can all broadly agree what the Brewers' colours are. Ask yourself. What are the San Diego Padres' team colours? It's not an easy answer is it? Which is the first sign that the identity is a mess.

NFL- It's a tie between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Cleveland Browns are right up there, but their use of contrast stitching, NCAA-sized chest wordmarks, and pants stripe wordmarks come off as downright dignified compared to the Bucs' oversized helmet logo and alarm clock numbers, or the Jags' half-and-half helmets. The Miami Dolphins are the best-dressed NFL team in Florida, and almost everyone agrees they suck too. It's just more of a subdued suckage compared to the Bucs and Jags, who loudly proclaim their awfulness.

15 hours ago, Mitch B said:

I get that, and I for one wish they'd use powder blue full-time with navy as just an accent...however, the "lightning bolt" logo has been a strong and consistent identity in all its forms throughout the team's history. I feel like a lot of people are interpreting "identity" to mean "uniforms," which is fine, everyone will interpret things differently...but to me, a big part of "identity" has to do with whether or not a team's logos represent the nickname well and...I dunno, maybe whether the fan base is united in its love for said logos? I'm not a Chargers fan by a long shot but I love their logo...

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

NHL- Carolina Hurricanes. Their identity just compounds on the badness. Trying too hard to look like an Original Six team? Check. Mismatched home, road, and alternate looks? Check. Bad logo? Check. Every other badly dressed NHL team has at least something working for them in comparison to the Hurricanes.

Agreed.  From their inception to 2013, they had something special and unique.  Now they have the distinction of having something simultaneously bland and a complete cluster:censored:.

22 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I get that, and I for one wish they'd use powder blue full-time with navy as just an accent...however, the "lightning bolt" logo has been a strong and consistent identity in all its forms throughout the team's history. I feel like a lot of people are interpreting "identity" to mean "uniforms," which is fine, everyone will interpret things differently...but to me, a big part of "identity" has to do with whether or not a team's logos represent the nickname well and...I dunno, maybe whether the fan base is united in its love for said logos? I'm not a Chargers fan by a long shot but I love their logo...

For me, the Chargers' logo gets lost amidst the two shades of blue.  Perhaps they should make the bolts bigger or more pronounced.

DA5F6B6F-FF97-4CAC-B787-6002DFB88745_zps

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived